The Student Room Group

Solving the housing crisis

I get really fed up when I keep hearing how we need to build more houses to solve the housing crisis (high rents/house prices). We don't. Watch this:

-Low-skilled immigrants are people
-People require accommodation
-Low-skilled immigrants earn min wage
-Min wage earners cannot afford mortgages
-Low-skilled immigrants rent
-Number of people who rent increases
-Rents increase

That wasn't too difficult, was it? Now:

-Ban low-skilled immigration
-Number of people wanting to rent decreased
-Demand for rent decreases
-Rent prices decrease

Voila- problem solved. What are we waiting for?

Scroll to see replies

Ban people from obtaining social housing unless they have British citizenship
I like the housing crisis

Long may it continue
Expel all non-Whites that would free up plenty of housing.Uganda (black people) did similar to Asians didn't they?
I might be mistaken, but is this apparent "housing crisis" not just a case of the lower middle class bitching that they can't easily afford a house rather than there actually being a lack of housing. If tehre is a lack of housing then surely the solution is to take the housing that is availiable and instead of having the middle class buying a 4 bedroom house because in the next decade at some point they will have a child or two you take thoise 4 bedroom houses and put, you know, 4 people or couples in them instead of 1.
Reply 5
Original post by billydisco
I get really fed up when I keep hearing how we need to build more houses to solve the housing crisis (high rents/house prices). We don't. Watch this:

-Low-skilled immigrants are people
-People require accommodation
-Low-skilled immigrants earn min wage
-Min wage earners cannot afford mortgages
-Low-skilled immigrants rent
-Number of people who rent increases
-Rents increase

That wasn't too difficult, was it? Now:

-Ban low-skilled immigration
-Number of people wanting to rent decreased
-Demand for rent decreases
-Rent prices decrease

Voila- problem solved. What are we waiting for?

My rent went up by £5 between Aug 2007 and March 2014 from £425/month to £430/month.

Hardly a drastic increase in rent - about 0.15% a year.
Certain industry's' rely on low skilled immigrant workers to function (READ: Native population doesn't want to take low-skilled work) which is a good argument for low skilled labour in certain sectors of the economy. Then you'll have indefinite labour shortages.

I personally think capping the free movement between EU countries is needed. A lot of white immigrants just moving about and causing market disruption.
The govt should move as many jobs away from London as they possibly can. That would help.
Reply 8
Original post by Bill_Gates
I like the housing crisis

Long may it continue

You dam selfish capitalist. :tongue:

I'll be joining you on the exploitative ladder soon. :colone:

Original post by Jammy Duel
I might be mistaken, but is this apparent "housing crisis" not just a case of the lower middle class bitching that they can't easily afford a house rather than there actually being a lack of housing. If tehre is a lack of housing then surely the solution is to take the housing that is availiable and instead of having the middle class buying a 4 bedroom house because in the next decade at some point they will have a child or two you take thoise 4 bedroom houses and put, you know, 4 people or couples in them instead of 1.

Two complaints right now..

1) Those middle class people are complaining that they can't buy a home with a 125% mortgage anymore, apparently having to save up £30k for a deposit pre-Help to Buy was a bad thing. Government has addressed this by bringing in Help To Buy which has driven up demand faster than supply can accommodate causing these double digit increases

2) Because of low wage growth and low savings many people have rented and in many places there is a shortage of decent rent-able housing, especially those places which would accept housing benefit. There is a genuine shortage of properties to rent but amusingly people complaining about rent then complain about landlords buying to let.
Original post by Rakas21
You dam selfish capitalist. :tongue:

I'll be joining you on the exploitative ladder soon. :colone:

Two complaints right now..

1) Those middle class people are complaining that they can't buy a home with a 125% mortgage anymore, apparently having to save up £30k for a deposit pre-Help to Buy was a bad thing. Government has addressed this by bringing in Help To Buy which has driven up demand faster than supply can accommodate causing these double digit increases

2) Because of low wage growth and low savings many people have rented and in many places there is a shortage of decent rent-able housing, especially those places which would accept housing benefit. There is a genuine shortage of properties to rent but amusingly people complaining about rent then complain about landlords buying to let.

1. Capitalism is the BEST system in the world.
2. Welcome - secure yourself away from the peasants!!
Reply 10
Original post by digitalfever
Certain industry's' rely on low skilled immigrant workers to function (READ: Native population doesn't want to take low-skilled work) which is a good argument for low skilled labour in certain sectors of the economy. Then you'll have indefinite labour shortages.

Errrrr so remove their welfare if they refuse an acceptable job???
Reply 11
Original post by Quady
My rent went up by £5 between Aug 2007 and March 2014 from £425/month to £430/month.

Hardly a drastic increase in rent - about 0.15% a year.

So this:

Londoners must earn more than £100,000 before they can afford to take out a mortgage big enough to secure a home in the capital, a report claims today.

Even with a deposit of 20 per cent, only workers earning six figures are now able to obtain the funding they need to get on the housing ladder.

The research from the National Housing Federation comes as government figures show average London house prices were unchanged at £514,000 in August. Despite the signs of cooling in the market, that is still 19.6 per cent higher than a year previously. First-time buyers paid an average of £403,000, down from £405,000 in July.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/londoners-must-earn-100000-per-year-before-they-can-afford-a-home-9793495.html

3 days ago...... isn't true?
Reply 13
Original post by Rakas21
Quady's post is rent, yours is buy.

People who rent have to buy the house in the first place- if mortgage costs increase, so does rent.
Original post by KissMyWhiteButt
Expel all non-Whites that would free up plenty of housing.Uganda (black people) did similar to Asians didn't they?

I think UKIP have a policy for this. They have advised we close down KFC and use propaganda to make France look attractive.
Reply 15

Perhaps so, I bought mine six months ago with earnings slightly less than half that though.
Reply 16
People who rent have to buy the house in the first place- if mortgage costs increase, so does rent.

London's rented houses are mostly on mortgage are they?

And high LTV too?

I massively doubt that.

Most of the places I've rented were owned outright.
Reply 17
Original post by Quady
London's rented houses are mostly on mortgage are they?

And high LTV too?

I massively doubt that.

Most of the places I've rented were owned outright.

My point is that house prices and rent prices are linked....
Errrrr so remove their welfare if they refuse an acceptable job???

They try to.

But it's a case of forcing them to do a job they don't want to do then do such a poor job they get sacked and the cycle begins.

Have a welfare state that is a safety net and not a way if life and you'll see a marked change in people's actions.
Reply 19
My point is that house prices and rent prices are linked....

They aren't though. If anything as one rises the other falls. But it depends on interest rate movement and lending criteria.

Quick Reply