The Student Room Group

Solving the housing crisis

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by goobypls
How about you stop the massive divorce rate so people don't separate and move into different houses.

Stopping people divorcing is easier than stopping low-skilled immigration? :rolleyes:
Reply 81
Original post by zippyRN
Quady outside of a few FTSE 100 management schemes DB schemes are all but dead in the private sector and grossly diminishied in value and utility in the public sector (CARE rather than FS , drastically increasing employer and employer contributions)

don't forget Brown boasted he had 'Abolished Boom and Bust' - on a wave of cheap and under managed credit that came back and bit him hard in 2008.

(outside the M25) how many people earning the median wage or less commute much more than 25 - 30 miles ?

Hey sorry, just going by personal experience I've always been in a DB scheme. Current one is CARE but a 43rds scheme which isn't too shoddy.

Oh that was absolutely daft.

There are quite a few conditions on that. I don't know, you tell me. I did a 49 miles each way commute in 2009/10 when I was on £30,300, not much above the median wage.
Original post by billydisco
Stopping people divorcing is easier than stopping low-skilled immigration? :rolleyes:

No it isn't.

To stop low skilled immigration, we just need to withdraw from the EU and then put up the barriers.

How do you stop divorce? How TF to you change the way people think about their partners.
Original post by Jammy Duel
How about our 2 million unemployed?

Would they want to climb ladders and mend roofs? :s-smilie: Normally those are jobs tossed at/reserved for desperate unskilled immigrants, the mythological creatures that they are, considering many immigrants are educated/pursuing education. :colonhash:
Original post by zippyRN
Unless and until we address the unemployability of a significant proprtion of these individuals ... and it's not something that can be easily changed by straightforward training

I have worked in places that use large numbers of low skill and semi skilled workers intially through agency and by and large the idiots of any nationality don't make it to the end of 12 weeks , and those that do tend to find they are used very flexibily, where those that do poull their waeight get direct contracts or told that despite being agency they will get regular work if they commit to take it.

you only need to look at some of the posts on TSR or the media coverage including the ludicrous 'ooman rites innit' court cases over JSA mandatory activities about the sense of entitlement that some graduates have that they will not 'lower themselves' to low skill or semi skilled work / agency work

Well, if the vacancies were available and there is no good reason beyond idleness and/or pride stopping then taking that job, there are two ways they can earn money: work, or work (well, I suppose scrounge off their parents). People can now, to a point, get away with it in that there are more people than jobs, if a sizable enough portion were to stop working (and not be then looking for work) then this no longer holds.
Reply 85
Original post by Gee Willikers
Would they want to climb ladders and mend roofs? :s-smilie: Normally those are jobs tossed at/reserved for desperate unskilled immigrants, the mythological creatures that they are, considering many immigrants are educated/pursuing education. :colonhash:

I bet they would if it was work or starve (i.e. withdraw their benefits).
Original post by billydisco
I bet they would if it was work or starve (i.e. withdraw their benefits).

But liberals and lefties don't accept that as an option, apparently benefits are a human right or some ****.
Stop letting banks create money for their own ill gotten gains.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

So, how does a non-central bank "create" money without dodgy accounting?
Original post by Jammy Duel
So, how does a non-central bank "create" money without dodgy accounting?

Well it's legal an all cos the banks make the rules.

But the banks do create money out of thin air essentially. Which allows them to hand out loans which causes house prices to rise. This makes the banks rich but screws everyone who isn't a banker over. If I set up my own money making kit in my room I would be arrested. But then I'm small fry :dontknow:

Complaining about this makes you a communist though and shouldn't be taken seriously obviously.

Power to the markets! *raises fist*
(edited 9 years ago)

You mean creating the funding that drives the economy that ultimately generates the money that pays for things like healthcare and welfare?
Well it's legal an all cos the banks make the rules.

But the banks do create money out of thin air essentially. Which allows them to hand out loans which causes house prices to rise. This makes the banks rich but screws everyone who isn't a banker over. If I set up my own money making kit in my room I would be arrested. But then I'm small fry :dontknow:

Complaining about this makes you a communist though and shouldn't be taken seriously obviously.

Power to the markets! *raises fist*

Well, if it's just coming out of thin air I'm pretty sure their accounts won't work, it has to come from somewhere.
It's fractional reserve banking. It doesn't come out of thin air. People conflate the deposit multiplier effect with creating money out of thin air. It's simply a mathematical illusion that extends the credit supply over the underlying money supply to drive economic growth. If you want to go back to the dark ages, then be my guest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending