The Student Room Group

How to handle this ****?!

so Im doing maths and the sciences

Physics - no problem
Maths - no problem

NOW! chemistry and biology --

I get tonnes of homework for chem and bio its unbelievable, literally consumes most of my free time for revision. I know homework is mean't to be like revision but Im so stress about getting it done that nothing really sinks in.

Any strategy around this?

Got my mock results today and got AABC (Low B chem, Low C biology)

Thanks in advance!
You're doing the most academic subjects so I'd assume you'd get tons of homework. You just have to find extra time. A have a few friends that do it and they use their free periods (sixth form) efficiently, as in they basically teach themselves a whole topic in an hour.

If you can't keep up with the workload, think about dropping one. If you don't want to do that, just explain to your teacher/tutor that you can't deal with how much work is being set. I know currently my friends are getting insane amounts of chemistry homework to do and they are having to spend their time very wisely.
Reply 2
Just out of curiosity, how much work do you get for chem? (In quantity, and not "lots" or "too much")

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Just out of curiosity, how much work do you get for chem? (In quantity, and not "lots" or "too much")

Posted from TSR Mobile

1.75 hours worth every monday, wednesday, friday, around the same for biology - tuesday and double period on thursday.

Physics is hardly a work sheet or 2, Maths is just text book work.

If only the homework i ever got was to revise :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by himynameiswill
You're doing the most academic subjects so I'd assume you'd get tons of homework. You just have to find extra time. A have a few friends that do it and they use their free periods (sixth form) efficiently, as in they basically teach themselves a whole topic in an hour.

If you can't keep up with the workload, think about dropping one. If you don't want to do that, just explain to your teacher/tutor that you can't deal with how much work is being set. I know currently my friends are getting insane amounts of chemistry homework to do and they are having to spend their time very wisely.

Yeah, Im still in search of some time, hopefully it'll get better after a couple weeks. I do enjoy my subjects quite generally, so dropping one wouldn't be an option for me. I will let my teachers know :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Angelo12231
1.75 hours worth every monday, wednesday, friday, around the same for biology - tuesday and double period on thursday

Well time depends on person so I was hoping for number of exercises or pages or something
Thank god I'm not doing biology though...it seems to be **** loads of contents to memorise and I bet I have to draw diagrams etc

I get an hour worth of homework everyday for every subject according to teachers but I finish them in free/lunch time so that I can relax at home most of the time. Plus EPQ stuff (taking up most time lol)

Im good at managing my time apparently, every friend complains how much homework they have but I have so much free time at home and during free periods I have time to help others with their homework. Im not sure how Im managing well but I suggest you concentrate really hard when you do work, and disconnect your brain when you arent working. Also in class as well - focus and take in as much info as you can during the lesson time so that you wont have to waste time looking up things while doing your homework. For example many of my friends had problem with one particular homework in chemistry in which I had no problem. But that was because I already heard the teacher explain briefly (like 10 seconds) how to do that sort of question whilst others missed it out. They struggled to find the answer whereas I spent less than 30 seconds on those questions just because I focussed a little bit more in the class. Thats the only difference I can see between what Im doing and what others are doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Well time depends on person so I was hoping for number of exercises or pages or something
Thank god I'm not doing biology though...it seems to be **** loads of contents to memorise and I bet I have to draw diagrams etc

I get an hour worth of homework everyday for every subject according to teachers but I finish them in free/lunch time so that I can relax at home most of the time. Plus EPQ stuff (taking up most time lol)

Im good at managing my time apparently, every friend complains how much homework they have but I have so much free time at home and during free periods I have time to help others with their homework. Im not sure how Im managing well but I suggest you concentrate really hard when you do work, and disconnect your brain when you arent working. Also in class as well - focus and take in as much info as you can during the lesson time so that you wont have to waste time looking up things while doing your homework. For example many of my friends had problem with one particular homework in chemistry in which I had no problem. But that was because I already heard the teacher explain briefly (like 10 seconds) how to do that sort of question whilst others missed it out. They struggled to find the answer whereas I spent less than 30 seconds on those questions just because I focussed a little bit more in the class. Thats the only difference I can see between what Im doing and what others are doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

that makes sense, though i find it quite exhausting trying to concentrate through double lessons. Most of my lessons are double lessons so around 2 hours each subject a day... my attention literally lasts about 45 minutes. how are your periods set up?
Reply 7
Original post by Angelo12231
that makes sense, though i find it quite exhausting trying to concentrate through double lessons. Most of my lessons are double lessons so around 2 hours each subject a day... my attention literally lasts about 45 minutes. how are your periods set up?

Usually one hour per subject everyday. Except physics where they do 1.5hours on Tuesday and Thursday for some reason.
I find my subjects really interesting so my attention never dies until the lesson ends. (Ok there are exceptions but when they are boring it's cuz they're easy (or helplessly boring which is rare) ).

But then because of my immense attention during lessons, while eating lunch I have most of attention to outside world turned off and I just eat mindlessly XD
Afterschool I feel so tired that I take nap as well - but it makes me energised to get concentrated again after the nap.idk if it's true but sleeping organises info in your brain or sth I read? Not sure though. But if true then it's good that I take nap :P
I still get time to play games or read with my schedule (except I don't and waste my time)

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're doing AQA Biology, then I heartily recommend doing the past papers and learning the exam technique :h:

Quick Reply

Latest