The Student Room Group

Indians in Ireland

Scroll to see replies

westofirelandgirl19
Right ,there has been almost exactly the same poverty level throughout history for both England& Ireland,bar the famine ,which was not the Irishs fault. I'm talking about now, this 'idea' that Ireland is full of poverty striken oppressed un-educated people ,is totally untrue today,make a visit to Dublin ,Donnybrook..one of the Richest parts of Ireland full of upperclass millionaires,and you would no longer be dillusioned into thinking this stereotypical view of Ireland still holds true today. Ireland is AHEAD of the UK on the list of the wealthiest countries,Ireland is no more poverty striken than the people who think it is ,get with the times .

As you said, you merely scanned my post. I suggest you read posts throughly before you fillet out the bits that suit you to respond to.
Did I say the Irish famine was the fault of the Irish? I quote from my post...

" ...no issue has provoked so much anger or so embittered relations between the two countries (England and Ireland) as the indisputable fact that huge quantities of food were exported from Ireland to England throughout the period when the people of Ireland were dying of starvation."

Where did I say that Ireland is "poverty stricken" today?
I actually suggested that Ireland had had the benefit of the "tiger economy" in the 20th & 21st centuries. Nowadays it is certainly a vibrant, positive and modern country with a forward~looking and positive population which is increasingly multi~cultural.

I am very familiar with Dublin...and I am also aware that the North side had until recently some of the worst slum housing in Europe~ so it is a city of contrasts.And of course, there are still pockets of poverty in the country as a whole AS THERE ARE IN THE UK.

The Irish education system is more successful than the rest of the UK's also~ so perhaps you should be more skilled in debate than you have demonstrated so far...

Reply 101
westofirelandgirl19
sorry but i had to steal your signature:smile:

hey...thats not nice :erm:
urbandervish
As you said, you merely scanned my post. I suggest you read posts throughly before you fillet out the bits that suit you to respond to.
Did I say the Irish famine was the fault of the Irish? I quote from my post...

Where did I say that Ireland is "poverty stricken" today?
I actually suggested that Ireland had had the benefit of the "tiger economy" in the 20th & 21st centuries. Nowadays it is certainly a vibrant, positive and modern country with a forward~looking and positive population which is increasingly multi~cultural.

I am very familiar with Dublin...and I am also aware that the North side had until recently some of the worst slum housing in Europe~ so it is a city of contrasts.And of course, there are still pockets of poverty in the country as a whole AS THERE ARE IN THE UK.

The Irish education system is more successful than the rest of the UK's also~ so perhaps you should be more skilled in debate than you have demonstrated so far...

I have obviously misinterpreted you so there is no case for a debate.
However I fail to see the point to you post? what exactly is it you are trying to convey?
westofirelandgirl19
:smile:

What sort of statement is that??

No technically,according to the queen anyway, Belfast isn't in Ireland..but I have met ALOT of people from Belfast & Antrim,omagh etc. and have yet to meet one who doesn't consider himself/herself Irish

edit

Its accurate. Northern Ireland is part of the UK. Whether you or anyone else likes it or not. Political allegiance has nothing to do with it.

Marcus
Reply 104
marcusfox
Its accurate. Northern Ireland is part of the UK. Whether you or anyone else likes it or not. Political allegiance has nothing to do with it.

Marcus

This is true ;yes; it's like those people who say Londonderry isn't called Londonderry. I might not like that it's called Londonderry, but it is. It's just a geographical fact.
westofirelandgirl19
I have obviously misinterpreted you so there is no case for a debate.
However I fail to see the point to you post? what exactly is it you are trying to convey?

The point of my post was to let you know that I don't see Ireland as a poverty-stricken backward country as you seem to think I was suggesting. I was condemning the treatment of the Irish at the hands of the landowners, in fact...If you had read it through and understood what I was actually saying, you wouldn't have got hold of the wrong end of the stick ... enough, already!
qubog
This is true ;yes; it's like those people who say Londonderry isn't called Londonderry. I might not like that it's called Londonderry, but it is. It's just a geographical fact.

Interestingly, signs on the Republic side of the border say Derry. Indeed, many companies in Londonderry avoid using either incarnation to avoid offending people of the wrong political inclination. A couple of years ago Londonderry City Council applied to have it changed in court, but it got overruled last year. So there you have it, Londonderry by court order!

Marcus
what was really interesting for me to see when driving out of belfast on a bus was a traditional red english telephone box tilting sideways covered in nationalist grafetti glass smashed .. which was wierd in itself being 20 miles from newry in dublin
westofirelandgirl19
what was really interesting for me to see when driving out of belfast on a bus was a traditional red english telephone box tilting sideways covered in nationalist grafetti glass smashed .. which was wierd in itself being 20 miles from newry in dublin

I thought Newry was in Co. Down, not Dublin?

Marcus
i'm really not preoccupied with facts

but to my knowledge it's on the dublin border
westofirelandgirl19
i'm really not preoccupied with facts

You've demonstrated that already.

westofirelandgirl19
but to my knowledge it's on the dublin border

Co. Dublin doesn't have a border with Co. Down.

Marcus
Newry shown within Northern Ireland
Population 27,430
Irish grid reference J085265
- Belfast 34 miles
District Newry and Mourne
County County Down
County Armagh
Constituent country Northern Ireland
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town NEWRY
Postcode district BT34, BT35
Dialling code 028
Police Northern Ireland
Fire Northern Ireland
Ambulance Northern Ireland
European Parliament Northern Ireland
UK Parliament Newry and Armagh
List of places: UK Northern Ireland Down
Coordinates: 54°10′32″N 6°20′57″W / 54.175556, -6.349167
Newry (from the Irish: Iúr Cinn Trá meaning "The Yew Tree at the Head of the Strand", short form An tIúr, "The Yew") is the fourth largest city in Northern Ireland and eighth on the island of Ireland. The River Clanrye, which runs through the city, forms the historic border between County Armagh and County Down: Newry was included entirely in the latter by the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898. It is 34 miles (60 km) from Belfast and 67 miles (108 km) from Dublin. It has a population of approximately 27,430 (2001)[1]. It was founded in 1144 alongside a Cistercian monastery and is one of Northern Ireland's oldest towns.

:rolleyes: The city of Newry is one of the constituent cities of the Dublin-Belfast corridor with a population of 3 million.

It sits at the entry to the Gap of the North, close to the border with the Republic of Ireland. It grew as a market town and a garrison and became a port in 1742 when it was linked to Lough Neagh by the first summit-level canal in the British Isles
westofirelandgirl19
...and 67 miles (108 km) from Dublin...

Again, it's nowhere near the Co. Dublin border. After leaving Dublin, you have to pass through Meath and Louth before you get to it.

Marcus
What?? Newry is nowhere near Dublin. Sure, it isn't that far by road and whatever but I still wouldn't class it as near or bordering..

As for Derry, is it seriously Londonderry by order now? I would never call it Londonderry tbh, even as an attempt to make it sound more English, it's pathetic.
StarsAreFixed
What?? Newry is nowhere near Dublin. Sure, it isn't that far by road and whatever but I still wouldn't class it as near or bordering..

As for Derry, is it seriously Londonderry by order now? I would never call it Londonderry tbh, even as an attempt to make it sound more English, it's pathetic.

Yes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4887352.stm

http://www.courtsni.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/750601F8-8F65-4368-A03F-32E84EB2A2B5/0/j_j_WEAF5707.htm

Marcus
I'm simply referring to the journey from Belfast city centre on board the (ulster buses) to Dublin. The motorway,bypass. Excuse my poor judgement when seeing a sign after about 1and half hours on the Ulster coach,saying 'Newry Dublin'..maybe I missread it.Also if you read my citation from wikipedia..it states "The city of Newry is one of the constituent cities of the Dublin-Belfast corridor with a population of 3 million

It sits at the entry to the Gap of the North, close to the border with the Republic of Ireland.
westofirelandgirl19
I'm simply referring to the journey from Belfast city centre on board the (ulster buses) to Dublin. The motorway,bypass. Excuse my poor judgement when seeing a sign after about 1and half hours on the Ulster coach,saying 'Newry Dublin'..maybe I missread it.

Ah, would this be the place where your passport is checked then?

Marcus
Smug people really inspire me,even when they are wrong . Nope as far as I know a ferry isn't needed when travelling from Belfast to Dublin VIA newry,however correct me if I'm wrong.

AND if you take a look at this;http://www.neiu.edu/~deellis/Parking%20lot/map_ireland.jpg mao you will see that Newry is the route taken when going from Belfast - Dublin. oN the A1 murging with the M1 nearing Dublin to be exact .
Sorry to burst ye're egotistical BuBbleS .
westofirelandgirl19
Smug people really inspire me,even when they are wrong . Nope as far as I know a ferry isn't needed when travelling from Belfast to Dublin VIA newry,however correct me if I'm wrong.

So, shock horror, I could take a train from my house to Stranraer, hop on the Larne ferry, take a bus into Belfast and then a coach or train to Dublin, all without having my passport checked?

Or are you going to say I need a passport to travel between destinations (Stranraer-Larne) in the UK too?

Marcus
marcusfox
So, shock horror, I could take a train from my house to Stranraer, hop on the Larne ferry, take a bus into Belfast and then a coach or train to Dublin, all without having my passport checked?

Or are you going to say I need a passport to travel between destinations (Stranraer-Larne) in the UK too?

Marcus

In my experience the passport check takes place in Stranraer. In my experience a passport was not needed when crossing the border.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending