The Student Room Group

Indians in Ireland

Now I'm interested in maybe living in Ireland, and working there.

Are there many Indians in Ireland? Do you know if it's a good place or not for minorities?

Also, if I wanted to visit the UK from Ireland, would there be any procedures to go through or is it like going from the US to Canada?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey there. ireland as a whole still isn't a multicultural place. dublin could be called multicultural though, but still not on the scale of the UK. if you're thinking about studying in dublin, you shouldn't have a problem. its a great place!
Reply 2
svdesi
Are there many Indians in Ireland? Do you know if it's a good place or not for minorities?
Yes, it's very welcoming.

If you're asking whether there's immigrant enclaves - then no.
Reply 3
I thought you meant Indian as in Indian restaurants for a second...

There's not many at all to be honest. You'd be more than welcome in basically all towns/cities.

Vin
Reply 4
no not many Indians,unfortunetley. But my town(nicknamed 'littlebrazil' is 90% brazilian at the moment..I really am getting worried,2 of my friends are engaged to brazilian men,think about this town in ten years time.
Reply 5
westofirelandgirl19
no not many Indians,unfortunetley. But my town(nicknamed 'littlebrazil' is 90% brazilian at the moment..I really am getting worried,2 of my friends are engaged to brazilian men,think about this town in ten years time.

How'd that happen? Seems a bit strange for a town in Ireland to be overrun by Brazilians...
Renal
Yes, it's very welcoming.

If you're asking whether there's immigrant enclaves - then no.

Well there's Nigerians and Polish right?
Reply 7
svdesi

Also, if I wanted to visit the UK from Ireland, would there be any procedures to go through or is it like going from the US to Canada?

Probably not. They're both in the EU so you can freely travel between them without having to worry about visas or anything like that.
Reply 8
svdesi
It's the easiest thing in the world. I live right on the Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland border, and it's simply a matter of crossing a bridge or driving along a road, no customs or nowt. Flying or boats from the UK mainland to Ireland is just as simple.
Reply 9
naivesincerity
Well there's Nigerians and Polish right?
Yep, poles especially all over Ireland - but there doesn't seem to be places like Brixton, Golders Green or Banglatown where immigrants of a single nationality congregate.
Reply 10
westofirelandgirl19

A town in connemara 90% brazilian? :confused:
Fusion
A town in connemara 90% brazilian? :confused:

From connemarra..i live in gort during the week,unfortunetley.
L i b
How'd that happen? Seems a bit strange for a town in Ireland to be overrun by Brazilians...

I blame the government.
Reply 13
westofirelandgirl19
From connemarra..i live in gort during the week,unfortunetley.

I was there before and actually recall a surprising amount of foreigners around.
Reply 14
L i b

Some 40% of the residents of Gort are non-Irish, according to the 2006 Census, which showed that 83% of these were Brazilians. They originally came to work in the meat processing plants in Gort where the pay is generally much higher than in similar plants in Brazil. According to Claire Healy "a large community of Brazilians now live, work and attend school in Gort, gradually altering the appearance and the character of the town". [2] The Roman Catholic church caters to the Brazilian community with a mass in Portuguese every Sunday held in Gort Catholic Church.

Reply 15
Why would you want to come now anyway lol?

Lot of the Poles and Brazilians leaving now that the construction industry has hit the skids big time.

There are plenty of Chinese in the north, though they are treated like ****.
Reply 16
Teofilo
Why would you want to come now anyway lol?

Lot of the Poles and Brazilians leaving now that the construction industry has hit the skids big time.

There are plenty of Chinese in the north, though they are treated like ****.

And young Irish are migrating to England again
Reply 17
True, but not yet in huge numbers (at least not 'round my endz).

The Celtic Tiger has burst and it's gonna be a rough couple of years.
Fusion
And young Irish are migrating to England again

And rightly so,they're are no jobs available around here,the government really need to invest money into the BMW rejion it is really going down hill,with the only people willing to live here being foreigners.I have emmigrated to England,and sacrificed the relaxed & atmosphere & friendliness of the west of Ireland for the greater opportunities in England,which I think is the choice most young Irish migrating to the UK make..:suitc:
L i b

they did it my home town as well - roscommon not far from galway at all.

Basically the irsh did about ten years ago did what the enlgish did 50 years ago, brought a load of cheap labour in. Oh it didnt go down well with the locals

and OP in places like knockcroghery (the vilage i lived near) an indian is an urban myth like crocodiles in the sewers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending