The Student Room Group

Anyone else already regretting their subject choices?

Wish I hadn't been so indecisive when picking my a level options :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by qewrtyu
Wish I hadn't been so indecisive when picking my a level options :s-smilie:

can you still change though?
Reply 2
Original post by 391iady
can you still change though?

Possibly...but I'm not sure if its worth it as I'd have to swap 2 of my other classes and catch up 5 weeks worth of work:s-smilie:

So I'm sort of undecided as to whether I should swap or not :confused:
What subjects are you doing?
Reply 4
Original post by WishIHadRevised
What subjects are you doing?

Biology
Chemistry
Maths with statistics
Psychology
Yeah, I regret picking Chemistry but all the other courses are full and it's a bit late to change :\
Original post by qewrtyu
Biology
Chemistry
Maths with statistics
Psychology

Your subjects are fine, Although from my personal experience, Bio Alevel is the most useless if your not applying to medicine, physics is much better or history or FM. But for any future gcse students reading this by any chance, do chem,physics,maths,fm
Original post by qewrtyu
Biology
Chemistry
Maths with statistics
Psychology

You are taking hard A levels there. What would you take instead though? I agree with the guy above ^ biology is not an enjoyable AS level (I did OCR) but then again maybe it was because my teachers were crap but yeah the course wasn't the best... But then again AS levels are a hell of a lot harder than GCSEs so it will be hard whatever you do. You must like the subjects for you to have picked them though?

Last week I joined an AS Business Studies class so the work load won't be impossible if you really do want to change. Depends on what job you want I guess. :smile:
I regret doing maths, soo wish I did physics instead :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't necessarily regret my chosen subjects but I wish I had done a subject out of my area, like a science or psychology. Unfortunately I'm half a term into year 13 so I can't go back and start another A Level.
Original post by Mini-Minion
I regret doing maths, soo wish I did physics instead :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I regretted doing that once id actually started doing it as well.
I failed it miserably.
Reply 11
Think I should have done physics instead of psychology :s-smilie:
Finding maths hard too:frown:
I did Physics at AS (and Maths also), and I hated it so much. I ended up with a C in Physics and an A in Maths. You can guess which one of the two I dropped. The reason why I'm mentioning Maths here, is because everyone seems to think that if Maths is easy to you, so will Physics be. Well, suppose it's not that way.

I'm in love with Maths, and would love to pursue a degree in something related to it.
Original post by borysek01
I did Physics at AS (and Maths also), and I hated it so much. I ended up with a C in Physics and an A in Maths. You can guess which one of the two I dropped. The reason why I'm mentioning Maths here, is because everyone seems to think that if Maths is easy to you, so will Physics be. Well, suppose it's not that way.

I'm in love with Maths, and would love to pursue a degree in something related to it.

In my case.....its like...I'm into paramedical field...but now I feel like changing my career into something different....something that's not that common....something that's exciting...something that keeps you in high spirits...something that makes you feel surprised....then I found a solution for it....Yes....it's the "Space and the Space Sector!!!" Its very very interesting and amazing to listen to Space, Planets, Universe, Rocket launch, astronauts, different specializations in Space Studies, etc.
I like all my subjects: History, Chemistry, Biology and Sociology.

Chemistry is the hardest but I'm improving :smile:
Reply 15
It all depends on if you're 1. too far into the school term (different schools have different deadlines for dropping one subject and choosing another in its place) 2. If you really do want to have 4 AS levels. I know at my school when some people dropped a subject and it was too late to change, they just stuck with 3 and then carried on all 3 to A2. Put some thought into it though, a lot of people at my school think chemistry is hard but it all depends on what you need for uni etc. If you do change your subject and realise it was the wrong decision, there are always other options to get you back on track. For a lot of people though, their minds change, for example myself who started AS levels with a love for history and wanting to pursue a degree in it at university. But by the middle of the course, I had completely changed my mind and eventually dropped that subject when going onto A2. Don't stress yourself out too much and remember that if you make a decision now, it won't effect your future forever!! :smile:
I change my mind every day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I kinda regret doing English Literature as its the only subject i chose which i don't think I'll be able to get an A in (Economics and Business are my other two)

Need AAB -ABB for the Uni i want to go to but i would really like to get 3 A's
It honestly depends by the hour. Earlier today I was regretting biology AS as I sat ploughing through two incredibly dull essays on enzymes.
I'm not enjoying maths, but that's because I'm finding it too easy and boring. I could do C1 and probably M1 now and do well.

The other day I was regretting taking French as 5 students dropped out of the class in the space of a week.

Apart from that, I'm enjoying myself :biggrin: (chemistry is bae)
Thinking back to my AS year, I really shouldn't have taken Physics. But it's not a regret as such, more a "why didn't I change to Further Maths when I first wanted to rather than struggle in Physics for a whole year". I took Physics because I thought I'd enjoy it, which I did, I just really wasn't good at it. Had I taken Further Maths in year 12, and not 13 (as I am now), I probably would have enjoyed it just as much, and I would have had a shot at a B (I'm aiming for a C as I just won't have the time to devote so much attention to it as my A2's).

But hey, I regretted a GCSE too (BTEC Art - should have done Media), so it's not education without a regrettable option.

Quick Reply

Latest