The Student Room Group

#Gamergate: Misogyny and harassment?

Some of you may already be aware of the storm of controversy erupting over the internet in recent months, now dubbed #Gamergate, which has attracted the attention of nearly all video game journalism sites and even major news networks such as the BBC, CNBC and CNN, and newspapers like The Guardian and The Washington Post. For those who don’t know, ‘Gamergate’ refers to an apparent failure of video games journalists to cover the debate around the Zoe Quinn controversy and Anita Sarkesian’s popular YouTube series on sexism in video games with impartiality or concern for the views of their audiences. The Gamergate movement has since been dubbed a “misogyny-fuelled hate campaign” by The Guardian (who else?).

What brought this controversy to mainstream media attention were the reported harassment and death threats that Zoe Quinn, Anita Sarkesian and others received from some disgruntled members of the gaming community. Ms Sarkesian had even claimed to have been forced to “flee her home” due to these threats and recently cancelled a presentation at Utah State University due to an anonymous shooting threat. However, this has led to speculation from her critics over the sincerity of these threats or if they were even real to begin with. The net positive impact they have had on Anita’s campaign (and the campaigns of other ‘gaming’ feminist personalities) has aroused suspicion, particularly due to a previous history of dishonesty and questionable journalistic integrity. Anita and her supporters appear to consider all criticism of their views as harassment, which has made debate on the subject difficult, with major games journalism sites such as Kotaku ruthlessly stamping out any and all opposition. Major newspapers and news networks, seemingly not having done their research, have taken Anita and the games journalists’ sides in this affair (although a recent BBC article has hinted that there is actually a debate going on and that it isn’t purely a mass harassment campaign targeting her for being a woman, contrary to what some would like to claim).

I don’t consider myself a gamer at all, but this sort of thing irks me. It bothers me that any criticism of these people’s views and actions is labelled ‘harassment’ or ‘misogyny’ regardless of its accuracy and honesty (or is simply ignored), and it bothers me that the boisterous actions of a small cadre of internet scumbags were spotlighted and practically shut down the entire discourse. The immature, inflammatory comments of seventeen-year-olds is all that's newsworthy, apparently (and lets be real; it's not like they're going to publicize anything that calls them out).

I haven’t seen much discussion on TSR regarding this, so what are your thoughts?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Its not misogyny what bs
Reply 2
Anita Sarkeesian is a monster that gamers (mainly the straight white demographic) have created. It's the gamers who constantly brought her up who got her into the position she is in now. She is like Fankenstein's monster. I never even heard of her until I seen all the anger, hate and threats online aimed at her. Gamers are purely to blame for all the attention she is getting. All of the morons who bring her up simply because they don't like her and want to insult her are just getting her name out even more. They want her gone but these people are ensuring she gains more attention.

If gamers online wouldn't have lost their ****, gone on the rampage, attacked her with disproportionate amounts of threats (aka: throwing their faeces at her) then her project she was promoting would have come and gone. The worst thing that could have happened is that she would gain kudos in her own circle and games would still be as they are. The gaming scene is full of stupid trolls who go on the warpath.

The saddest thing is that we could be having great discussion about this. She has valid concerns and I can see points she is trying to get across. I am not saying I am her biggest fan, because I am not. A lot of her points are flawed, but I would love to meet up with her and discuss this topic. We can't discuss whether she is right or wrong anymore. The chance of that discussion was long gone after a load of people decided they'd take things personal and try to ruin her life.

Gamers constantly moan about 'dem damn bra burning feminists' ruining their games, but what the hell would they be ruining? Honestly? What is there to ruin? I could argue that this might result in really interesting discussion. We could even see some interesting games.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
GamerGate is what happens when women try to shield themselves from criticism by shouting 'sexism'. Anita Sarkeesian is a hypocrite who has little to do with GamerGate, she was before then, and her videos sparked a different row, she is just throwing her weight around now because she can't go 5 minutes without publicity.

GamerGate is basically a call by the community for the reformation of video game journalism. The issue started when an ex-boyfriend of Zoe Quinn, a game publisher, released a detailed blog post about how she cheated on him with five different guys, all involved in the video game journalism industry. A few of these guys are unnamed, and the ones who were named then admitted to having a relationship with Quinn. These guys all gave her favourable reviews and publicity, and pushed her game (named Depression Quest, and a title she used as a method of exploiting Robin Williams death) onto Steam Greenlight, with the aim of getting it onto Steam and making her money. This game is dreadful, so obviously questions were raised, and Quinn covered herself by crying misogyny, getting her friends in the media to publish many articles defending her, and stating that gamers were sexist (which then sparked a response known as WeAreNotYourShield). Quinn also did things like causing a charity project for female game designers to be crashed due to them not funding her project, and apparently faked hatemail, death-threats and doxxing herself (and Phil Fish) to protect her own skin. That is Gamergate, and the media (who are naturally covering up any evidence of corruption) are twisting it into a male vs female debate.
Reply 4
Original post by Arkasia
GamerGate is what happens when women try to shield themselves from criticism by shouting 'sexism'. Anita Sarkeesian is a hypocrite who has little to do with GamerGate, she was before then, and her videos sparked a different row, she is just throwing her weight around now because she can't go 5 minutes without publicity.

/FONT]

Gamers are purely to blame for Anita getting all the attention she has been getting. If the straight white male demographic didn't start throwing their faeces around on the web then Anita wouldn't have gotten this much attention.

Trolls are scoring a huge own goal here. All they needed to do was let her have her say and let her make her damned project. What is there to ruin anyway? What is there to lose by having civil discussion? Awww... won't you be able to see Samus' tits anymore?

Gamers lost the chance of a rational discussion with Anita and I do not feel sorry for them. Again, I do not necessarily agree with her, but I believe nobody deserves to receive so much hate messages, rape threats and insults. There's a point where you just have to tell the irrational to go and **** themselves.

I haven't even gotten started on the sexism towards women working in the video game industry.

http://youtu.be/8MxANWWhpMs

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by datpiff
Gamers are purely to blame for Anita getting all the attention she has been getting. If the straight white male demographic didn't start throwing their faeces around on the web then Anita wouldn't have gotten this much attention.

Trolls are scoring a huge own goal here. All they needed to do was let her have her say and let her make her damned project.

What is there to ruin anyway? What is there to lose by having civil discussion? Awww... won't you be able to see Samus' tits anymore?

Gamers lost the chance of a rational discussion with Anita and I do not feel sorry for them. Again, I do not necessarily agree with her, but I believe nobody deserves to receive so much hate messages, rape threats and insults. There's a point where you just have to tell the irrational to go and **** themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, so that's the point you are trying to push, I see. Did you read the part where I mentioned the 'NotYourShield' campaign?
lol anita sarkesian is an absolute joke - I don't blame those developers for ignoring her drivel
Reply 7
Original post by Arkasia
Oh, so that's the point you are trying to push, I see. Did you read the part where I mentioned the 'NotYourShield' campaign?

Well... that's the demographic that dominates the video game industry. You can't ignore that fact. Talk to a few video game devs and ask them who the dominant demographic in the games industry is.

Original post by zippity.doodah
lol anita sarkesian is an absolute joke - I don't blame those developers for ignoring her drivel

Well idiot trolls online sure didn't and because of them constantly brining her up she's the centre of attention. People with no tactics whatsoever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
Gamers are purely to blame. If the straight white male demographic didn't start throwing their faeces around on the web then Anita wouldn't have gotten this much attention.

Trolls are scoring a huge own goal here. All they needed to do was let her have her say and let her make her damned project.

What is there to ruin anyway? What is there to lose by having civil discussion? Awww... won't you be able to see Samus' tits anymore?

Gamers lost the chance of a rational discussion with Anita and I do not feel sorry for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But several serious attempts at debate and discussion have indeed been made. This is largely ignored, however, and dismissed as misogynistic harassment along with the rest. Anita Sarkesian, Zoe Quinn and their ilk deliberately focus on and 'pimp' their harassment for publicity. While trolls did score an own goal here, they weren't responsible for how dishonestly the controversy is portrayed by the gaming (and now wider) media.
Reply 9
Original post by datpiff
Well... that's the demographic that dominates the video game industry. You can't ignore that fact. Talk to a few video game devalues and ask them who the dominant demographic in the games industry is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are continuing to ignore my point that it is people from all demographics that dislike Anita and the SJWs, not just 'straight white males'.
Original post by Arkasia
You are continuing to ignore my point that it is people from all demographics that dislike Anita and the SJWs, not just 'straight white males'.

You do not represent the gaming community. You cannot speak for other groups and say that people from all demographics dislike her. You have no proof. The fact here is that straight white males dominate the video games industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff
You do not represent the gaming community. You cannot say that people from all demographics dislike her. The fact here is that straight white males dominate the video games industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you purposely being dense? Is that a strategy of yours? I repeatedly mentioned 'NotYourShield' as evidence that people from all demographics support GamerGate.
Original post by Arkasia
Are you purposely being dense? Is that a strategy of yours? I repeatedly mentioned 'NotYourShield' as evidence that people from all demographics support GamerGate.

I do not agree with you whatsoever. Sorry. The Jimquisition video says exactly how I feel about this. Gamers are the ones turning this into a gender war. Always get absolutely pissed and throw their **** everywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
You do not represent the gaming community. You cannot speak for other groups and say that people from all demographics dislike her. You have no proof. The fact here is that straight white males dominate the video games industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

. . . in which case it's not altogether surprising that the majority of critics of Sarkesian are in fact straight white males?

I mean, for all we know gay black males are twice as likely to spew at her as straight white males, but the latter would still be the majority so they must be the evil ones, right?
Original post by datpiff
I do not agree with you whatsoever. Sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What a pathetic response. Did you even look up what 'NotYourShield' is, or do you want to just stick your head in the sand and scream out 'rah, gamerz r da nasty white peeplz'?
Why is it a problem if gamers want video game characters with big titties?
Reply 16
She is the worst thing since EA.

She and the idiots who follow her need to get some common sense.
Original post by Arkasia
What a pathetic response. Did you even look up what 'NotYourShield' is, or do you want to just stick your head in the sand and scream out 'rah, gamerz r da nasty white peeplz'?

Mainly because I can't be bothered to debate with you anymore to be completely honest. I'm on an iPad and my fingers are tired. I'm not gonna write an essay. I've said what I have to say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheBBQ
She is the worst thing since EA.

You're crazy if you think she's worse than EA. What power does Anita have over the gaming industry compared to EA?!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff
Mainly because I can't be bothered to debate with you anymore to be completely honest. I'm on an iPad and my fingers are tired. I'm not gonna write an essay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, so you didn't look up what 'NotYourShield' is. Nice to see you want to remain ignorant. Here it is in case you want to know what you are talking about:

Quick Reply