The Student Room Group

Can't cope with voluntary job??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Last_Melon
Make sure you retreat in order to fight again.

What does that mean?
im not in a battle, im ill.
Original post by sherlockfan
What does that mean?
im not in a battle, im ill.

You're likely to stay that way too if you keep perpetuating this sort of: 'depressed people never get better, only temporarily' mentality. It's good that you were / are volunteering and, personally, it's something I'd have advised you to continue doing, because giving up is probably the worst thing you could do for yourself.
Original post by Freudian Slip
You're likely to stay that way too if you keep perpetuating this sort of: 'depressed people never get better, only temporarily' mentality. It's good that you were / are volunteering and, personally, it's something I'd have advised you to continue doing, because giving up is probably the worst thing you could do for yourself.

Well im relieved i left, i wasnt coping. Some depressed people live in a state of denial and think they can cope just as well as a normal person. Im glad i know my limitations.
Well im relieved i left, i wasnt coping. Some depressed people live in a state of denial and think they can cope just as well as a normal person. Im glad i know my limitations.

Of course it's good to know them, but it's also good to establish things to look forward to, to motivate yourself, reasons to get out of bed in the morning. I've taken 'time out' from studies etc. myself because of my conditions, so I can see where you're coming from, but I also think it's important to keep distracted.
Of course it's good to know them, but it's also good to establish things to look forward to, to motivate yourself, reasons to get out of bed in the morning. I've taken 'time out' from studies etc. myself because of my conditions, so I can see where you're coming from, but I also think it's important to keep distracted.

Im afraid you dont know half of it. Its beyond depression. Im in hospital every day. I have nothing to look forward to.
Im afraid you dont know half of it. Its beyond depression. Im in hospital every day. I have nothing to look forward to.

Then why haven't you been sectioned / requested as such?
(edited 9 years ago)
im not actively trying to hide it, it just never occurred to me that it would be a problem. i mean i dont know what else theyll be able to do for me, its already pretty flexible, i just book the shift i want to do every week. to make it worse ive actually been ill these past few weeks, with the flu and then vomiting.
i dont believe that "depression wont last forever", in most cases people live with it for the rest of their lives, with periods of normality followed by episodes of depression.

People don't live it for the rest of their lives. I'm completely recovered. I lapsed in and out for about five years until last winter when I hit rock bottom. I saw the uni counsellors and over a period of four or five months I began to recover. Yeah, occasionally I have a really bad day, but I now know what to do to feel alright again.

It gets better. I promise.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
People don't live it for the rest of their lives. I'm completely recovered. I lapsed in and out for about five years until last winter when I hit rock bottom. I saw the uni counsellors and over a period of four or five months I began to recover. Yeah, occasionally I have a really bad day, but I now know what to do to feel alright again.

It gets better. I promise.

how can you be sure you wont have a relapse?
Then why haven't you been sectioned / requested as such?

they only section people who have tried to kill themselves/won't eat.
they only section people who have tried to kill themselves/won't eat.

You can volunteer for hospitalisation.
how can you be sure you wont have a relapse?

I can't be *sure*, no, but by having a positive outlook that I *won't* have a relapse, I'm decreasing the likelihood of one.
You can volunteer for hospitalisation.

I'm pretty sure you can't unless you pay.

Anyway i don't want to be locked up somewhere thanks very much.
I'm pretty sure you can't unless you pay.

Anyway i don't want to be locked up somewhere thanks very much.

You certainly can and it's not like being 'locked up' at all, you're free to leave whenever you wish to... if you really want some help, you need to explore all of these avenues. You cannot just dismiss the idea of overcoming depression because you're having a rough time of it at the moment. I don't want to seem callous, but being self-indulgent will not help you.
You certainly can and it's not like being 'locked up' at all, you're free to leave whenever you wish to... if you really want some help, you need to explore all of these avenues. You cannot just dismiss the idea of overcoming depression because you're having a rough time of it at the moment. I don't want to seem callous, but being self-indulgent will not help you.

I would never let the nhs section me, i dont trust them and the conditions in a mental hospital must be appalling.
Im not being self indulgent, how dare you say that when i would give my right arm to be happy but it just isnt happening for me. Unless theres a miracle the rest of my life is going to be misery and pain.
Reply 34
> i don't trust the NHS because reasons
> i feel that as an individual i will never get better
> i'm still too good to be sectioned, i've never been inside a mental hospital but the conditions must be appalling
> the rest of my life will be misery and pain and thereby worthless **** you guys for saying otherwise and questioning my ability to see the future
I would never let the nhs section me, i dont trust them and the conditions in a mental hospital must be appalling.
Im not being self indulgent, how dare you say that when i would give my right arm to be happy but it just isnt happening for me. Unless theres a miracle the rest of my life is going to be misery and pain.

Sectioning and voluntary hospitalisation are different. If they decided your condition was such that you needed to be sectioned under the Mental Health Act, then I'm afraid you'd have no choice in that matter. You are being self-indulgent by giving in to yourself with this 'no-one ever gets better' attitude and a good therapist would tell you the same.
Original post by Kaiju
> i don't trust the NHS because reasons
> i feel that as an individual i will never get betteri
> i'm still too good to be sectioned, i've never been inside a mental hospital but the conditions must be appalling
> the rest of my life will be misery and pain and thereby worthless **** you guys for saying otherwise and questioning my ability to see the future

Go away.
Sectioning and voluntary hospitalisation are different. If they decided your condition was such that you needed to be sectioned under the Mental Health Act, then I'm afraid you'd have no choice in that matter. You are being self-indulgent by giving in to yourself with this 'no-one ever gets better' attitude and a good therapist would tell you the same.

Erm no. They cant section someobe unless they have reasonable belief that*the person is a threat to others or to themselves. Thats the law.
I didnt say that no one recovers. A good therapist would know that insulting a patient wont help them get better.
Erm no. They cant section someobe unless they have reasonable belief that*the person is a threat to others or to themselves. Thats the law.
I didnt say that no one recovers. A good therapist would know that insulting a patient wont help them get better.

I know exactly what the law is and you're echoing what I said... if they believed that your condition was such that you required that kind of intervention, then it would happen. Nope, a therapist would not indulge such negative thinking. It's not insulting to say you're being self-indulgent; recovery is a process that requires work, which you contradict by being 'can't do'.
I know exactly what the law is and you're echoing what I said... if they believed that your condition was such that you required that kind of intervention, then it would happen. Nope, a therapist would not indulge such negative thinking. It's not insulting to say you're being self-indulgent; recovery is a process that requires work, which you contradict by being 'can't do'.

If a therapist said that to me i would tell them to **** off and would never go to anothet session.
You dont know my situation. You dont know me. You dont have any right at all to say things like that to people you dont know.

Quick Reply

Latest