The Student Room Group

Can't cope with voluntary job??

I've been late to my voluntary job now several times, despite the fact that I only have to go once a week, and the shift is from 1 to 5 in the afternoon. I have mental health issues and i really struggle to get up somedays.
I just oversleep :dontknow: should i leave?!? I don't want to carry on there and continue to let them down. Last time I felt like crap and I nearly fell asleep on a visitors sofa. I don't actually feel like I'm doing something useful.
Just goes to show I cant even do the easiest of jobs with very minimal requirements.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sherlockfan
I've been late to my voluntary job now several times, despite the fact that I only have to go once a week, and the shift is from 1 to 5 in the afternoon. I have mental health issues and i really struggle to get up somedays.
I just oversleep :dontknow: should i leave?!? I don't want to carry on there and continue to let them down. Last time I felt like crap and I nearly fell asleep on a visitors sofa. I don't actually feel like I'm doing something useful.
Just goes to show I cant even do the easiest of jobs with very minimal requirements.

How do you oversleep what time do you normally go to bed?
Reply 2

it means nothing except you're still ill. Keep trying, some days you'll go, some days you won't, that';s the nature of the beast and they know this. It's what the WRAG group is made for.

:hugs:
Original post by Riku
it means nothing except you're still ill. Keep trying, some days you'll go, some days you won't, that';s the nature of the beast and they know this. It's what the WRAG group is made for.

:hugs:

they dont know the nature of my condition and i want to keep it that way.
Original post by Black Cat
How do you oversleep what time do you normally go to bed?

I normally dont go to bed before 2.
Reply 5
they dont know the nature of my condition and i want to keep it that way.

I see, what did you state as your reason for volunteering then can I ask :smile:
Original post by Riku
I see, what did you state as your reason for volunteering then can I ask :smile:

i dont remember, just that i was interested in the site i suppose.
My weekly volunteering is the only thing I do that makes me feel useful.

Why don't you be honest with your manager (as much as you want to be) and say you just need a little break until you feel better? :smile:
Original post by Captain Jack
Why don't you be honest with your manager (as much as you want to be) and say you just need a little break until you feel better? :smile:

until i recover from depression? i dont know how long that's going to be, ill probably have it for the rest of my life.
until i recover from depression? i dont know how long that's going to be, ill probably have it for the rest of my life.

Not necessarily 'free' of it but better enough to go back to the job. Either way, it's best to talk to your manager. I'm sure they will understand if you explain that you are finding it difficult. :smile:
bump.

I also suffer from depression. I personally think you should just talk to your manager. Depression makes you want to quit and socially isolate yourself from the world, so the fact you are volunteering and getting out there is great. I wouldn't quit, it will let the depression take over you.

Please tell your manager if you can. Keeping quiet about mental health is often why people get worse because they're trying to deal with their health as well as hiding it from other people.

Just remember, there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Depression won't last forever :-)
Original post by i-love-coffee
I also suffer from depression. I personally think you should just talk to your manager. Depression makes you want to quit and socially isolate yourself from the world, so the fact you are volunteering and getting out there is great. I wouldn't quit, it will let the depression take over you.

Please tell your manager if you can. Keeping quiet about mental health is often why people get worse because they're trying to deal with their health as well as hiding it from other people.

Just remember, there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Depression won't last forever :-)

im not actively trying to hide it, it just never occurred to me that it would be a problem. i mean i dont know what else theyll be able to do for me, its already pretty flexible, i just book the shift i want to do every week. to make it worse ive actually been ill these past few weeks, with the flu and then vomiting.
i dont believe that "depression wont last forever", in most cases people live with it for the rest of their lives, with periods of normality followed by episodes of depression.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm quitting. Thanks for the advice guys.
I normally dont go to bed before 2.

Did it occur to you to go to bed earlier?
Original post by Skip_Snip
Did it occur to you to go to bed earlier?

No, it has never occurred to me :eek: thanks for the groundbreaking suggestion.

and here in lays the issue ...
Original post by zippyRN
and here in lays the issue ...

??
Make sure you retreat in order to fight again.

Quick Reply

Latest