The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Thank you again.

I'm bewlidered by all these formal events. I graduated from my first degree at Sunderland Uni and it was nothing like this.

You see, as a fresher at Durham, I would like to make a good first impression with my fellow classmates. If I did not attend the ball, would it look like I was anti-social?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
Nay. It's cool not to go because everyone thinks its rubbish anyway. But do go to the bops!
Reply 62
Two words that would make this event (or any) a surefire winner: chocolate fountains.
Reply 63
danfel
Two words that would make this event (or any) a surefire winner: chocolate fountains.

Many Durham events have these chocolate fountains. They're awesome, and delicious.

The Summer Balls always have the best things though. In Trevs for the past two years we've had an ice sculpture with vodka coming out of it.

In my first year it was a sculpture of a naked male, and the vodka came out of the....well....you can guess where it came out of. The best thing to do was to take a shot of the vodka by...well...sucking on the naked male ice sculpture. I'm sure you understand. It was awesome! :biggrin:

This year I can't remember what it was, hmm :confused: - Chris, Alex, shed some light on what it was?!
Ok excuse my cheesy ignorance,

Whats a bop?
Reply 65
OMG! AMAZING! I hope Butler do something just as cool next year.
Princess_Peach
Ok excuse my cheesy ignorance,

Whats a bop?

I'm not 100%, but I think it's basically a school disco in outrageously posh clothing. I could be wrong though.:smile:
Reply 67
Or fancy dress. Fancy dress ones are the best.
Reply 68
hmmm I went out and bought a tux today, I hope we get chance to wear it at some of these events lol!
Aceofspades2345
in outrageously posh clothing.

'Posh' as in?

pikaboo
Or fancy dress. Fancy dress ones are the best.

OMG!! Now you're TALKING!!! I freekin love cosplaying. Tell me more about the fancy dress parties! I have a TON of outfits!
Reply 70
I've been to a devils and angels one, a Bollywood formal (my friend loaned me a beauuutiful sari), a sex symbol formal, and there's back to school nights at the DSU every so often...lots of opportunities for those costumes!
oooooh I'm loving it! =D
Reply 72
danfel

I have my own chocolate fountain :biggrin: Hmmm...perhaps it'd be a good way to make friends...buy their regard with chocolate.......
Reply 73
Jelkin
I have my own chocolate fountain :biggrin: Hmmm...perhaps it'd be a good way to make friends...buy their regard with chocolate.......

Oh my gosh! Where did you get that? :eek:
Reply 74
One of my boyfriends got it for me for Christmas last year...I felt so guilty, as my present for him pretty much sucked! AND I broke up with him about a month later :frown: Was going to use it at the mock dinner party I went to the other day, but I couldn't stomach it after all that Chinese food :biggrin:
Reply 75
Pfffft. Men. At least you got some pretty cool kit out of it!
Reply 76
Ha ha, true! Anyway, it was me who broke up with him, the unhappy smiley (how does that work??!) was just due to guilt.
Reply 77
Jelkin
Ha ha, true! Anyway, it was me who broke up with him, the unhappy smiley (how does that work??!) was just due to guilt.

I know the feeling :frown: why do we bother, eh?
A bop is just a party, you wear whatever you want (unless it's fancy dress, obviously). Usually these are called "ents" and are fancy dress. I don't know why freshers' bop is called a bop, but that's just one of those things.
A ball is like what you have in cinderella, big dresses, smart suits, squirrel skin (vair, not verre - glass shoes was a translation error!) shoes etc.

NB. The shoes bit was a joke, you just wear leather usually.
Hmmm all this jazzing about. It has to be a Durham thing. They didn't do this at Sunderland.

Then again, it WAS Sunderland ^^;

Latest

Trending

Trending