The Student Room Group

Some C3 practice questions... (simplify fractions)

My answers for these were wrong and I can't work out the correct method:confused:

Simplify:
Can you show us your working for some of them? I can't tell where you went wrong without seeing what you did.
Original post by ktalexander
Can you show us your working for some of them? I can't tell where you went wrong without seeing what you did.

Well it's mainly just a problem of not knowing where to go next I think. For example the first one I factorised to 2(2-x)/(x-2)(x+3), but nothing cancels so I'm unsure about what the next step would be?

I should probably know this stuff from AS but I didn't get on very well last year:colondollar:
always look for the difference of two squares
Original post by PinkSkyComplex
Well it's mainly just a problem of not knowing where to go next I think. For example the first one I factorised to 2(2-x)/(x-2)(x+3), but nothing cancels so I'm unsure about what the next step would be?

I should probably know this stuff from AS but I didn't get on very well last year:colondollar:

It's a shame about that (2-x) and (x-2). They're so similar and yet not quite the same. Luckily, there's something else you could factor out of either one and all it would do is change the signs Can you think of what it is? Once you factor it out, you'll be able to cancel out common factors.
Original post by ktalexander
It's a shame about that (2-x) and (x-2). They're so similar and yet not quite the same. Luckily, there's something else you could factor out of either one and all it would do is change the signs Can you think of what it is? Once you factor it out, you'll be able to cancel out common factors.

Ah, I did it, thank you... It's always small things I forget about, arghh, annoying.. :biggrin:
Original post by PinkSkyComplex
Ah, I did it, thank you... It's always small things I forget about, arghh, annoying.. :biggrin:

How are the rest of the problems working out?

Quick Reply

Latest