The Student Room Group

Should Ched Evans play football again??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by unprinted
Yes, I can see why Evans was convicted. My main surprise is that McDonald was acquitted of rape and that he - and the two others - weren't charged with assisting in Evans' rape / voyeurism (has anyone suggested she consented to being filmed through the bedroom window?), but clearly not enough of the jury were convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that McDonald raped her himself.

McDonald was the one who met the girl, ordered a cab and took her home. Same thing happens up and down the country every Saturday night. Even if the prosecution argued that the victim was ''too drunk to consent'', it is reasonable to believe that the victim knew what she was getting into and that McDonald had no intention of raping her. Evans simply turned up at the hotel and joined in, which is completely different.

If you meet someone in a club and go home to bang, then suddenly one of their mates comes and joins in, you won't be ok with it.
For those interested, the full transcript of Evans failed appeal (both against the conviction and the sentence) are at

crimeline.info/uploads/cases/2012ewcacrim2559.pdf

If more people read it, fewer would think this was somehow a wrongful conviction.
Original post by sr90
Even if the prosecution argued that the victim was ''too drunk to consent'', it is reasonable to believe that the victim knew what she was getting into and that McDonald had no intention of raping her. Evans simply turned up at the hotel and joined in, which is completely different.

If you meet someone in a club and go home to bang, then suddenly one of their mates comes and joins in, you won't be ok with it.

There are two separate issues here:

McDonald's own acquittal for rape. Yes, as the Appeal Court said, it was open to the jury to decide he had a reasonable belief in her consent (even if in fact she did not).

The behaviour of McDonald and the unnamed pair while Evans' raped her. Part of my surprise is what they weren't charged with.

I'd love to see a transcript of McDonald explaining why he thought she was consenting to sex with Evans, when as you say he'd just turned up, and I'd love to know why Evans and the pair weren't charged with voyeurism - I can find no-one suggesting she consented to being filmed through the bedroom window.
I'd love to see a transcript of McDonald explaining why he thought she was consenting to sex with Evans, when as you say he'd just turned up, and I'd love to know why Evans and the pair weren't charged with voyeurism - I can find no-one suggesting she consented to being filmed through the bedroom window.

Anyone else think that is incredibly messed up? One of the people filming was Evans' brother I believe, who does that! Most people really don't want to know about their friends' (and certainly their relatives'!) sex lives never mind watch and film it.
Reply 44
Yes, the initial conviction was weak and I dont like the way that the situation is described as rape. Also can't take away a man's way of making a living. Thats how people get trapped in the cycle of being in and out of prison or even depression.
So this guy was convicted of rape and failed his appeal. Legally there's no reason he can't be signed on but what does it say about a club that hires a convicted rapist to represent it?

Given people can be fired for sexist comments, or refused to be hired for having tattooes, dyed hair or all manner of other harmless stuff (note: I'm not saying sexist comments are harmless or minor), being convicted of rape probably or atleast should be considered more serious by employers.

Also if this guy wasn't a footballer and thus worthy of press attention, no one would give a **** that he was having difficulty getting a job.
Original post by Phar0ahT
Yes, the initial conviction was weak and I dont like the way that the situation is described as rape. Also can't take away a man's way of making a living. Thats how people get trapped in the cycle of being in and out of prison or even depression.

The conviction was strong enough to stand up at the Court of Appeal where three judges - including the Lord Chief Justice, the highest judge of the courts of England and Wales - unanimously rejected the appeal.

While in prison, his club paid him £20,000 a month until his contract expired, then another £20,000 because no other club had taken up his contract.

If he cannot make a living given that sort of start in life, he has worse problems than being a convicted rapist. It may not be as well paid, but he should have thought of that before having sex with someone filmed on CCTV as being too drunk to stand up or remember where her handbag is.

How would you describe what he did, if not 'rape'?
Original post by sr90
I don't remember Clegg coming out and critisising Sheffield Wednesday for keeping hold of Gary Madine, who has a lengthy history of serious assault and received an 18 month prison term last year.

As I understand it, the Clegg comment was part of his LBC radio phone-in, presumably in answer to a direct question. It's quite possible no listener has asked him about Madine.
The conviction was strong enough to stand up at the Court of Appeal where three judges - including the Lord Chief Justice, the highest judge of the courts of England and Wales - unanimously rejected the appeal.

While in prison, his club paid him £20,000 a month until his contract expired, then another £20,000 because no other club had taken up his contract.

If he cannot make a living given that sort of start in life, he has worse problems than being a convicted rapist. It may not be as well paid, but he should have thought of that before having sex with someone filmed on CCTV as being too drunk to stand up or remember where her handbag is.

How would you describe what he did, if not 'rape'?

In my opinion, the most disturbing aspect of this case is that some individuals seem unable to accept the verdict, even after the appeal was rejected.
Reply 49
I think if he came out and said "Look, I did something terrible, I'm sorry" it wouldn't be so bad, but he's still maintaining his innocence despite being found guilty in a court of law! I'm all for giving people another chance and believing they can change, but he's just been arrogant and shown no remorse whatsoever, which I think is what bothers people most - and what sends out the wrong message if a club signs him
Original post by Beth092
I think if he came out and said "Look, I did something terrible, I'm sorry" it wouldn't be so bad, but he's still maintaining his innocence despite being found guilty in a court of law! I'm all for giving people another chance and believing they can change, but he's just been arrogant and shown no remorse whatsoever, which I think is what bothers people most - and what sends out the wrong message if a club signs him

I think that whoever gives him a contract will expect him to give a public apology. It would be a PR disaster if they didn't.
Reply 51
For those interested, the full transcript of Evans failed appeal (both against the conviction and the sentence) are at

crimeline.info/uploads/cases/2012ewcacrim2559.pdf

If more people read it, fewer would think this was somehow a wrongful conviction.

Even after reading that I can;t figure out how have they proved it beyond reasonable doubt.

Original post by Kat_Buchan
In my opinion, the most disturbing aspect of this case is that some individuals seem unable to accept the verdict, even after the appeal was rejected.

Lmao you weren;t there
Reply 52
Original post by Beth092

Original post by sr90
I think that whoever gives him a contract will expect him to give a public apology. It would be a PR disaster if they didn't.

He doesn't even have to show remorse for what he did. He could just say something like "I wish none of this had ever happened", which is probably true (at least I bloody HOPE so) and would already appease a lot of people - even if it doesn't mean what they think it means. I don't personally know whether he technically committed rape (although I do think it is very likely), but I do know that I find the whole of his behaviour on that night morally revolting, and not "perfectly normal and acceptable" like his family and some other supporters try to make it out to be. I think that if he is technically innocent of rape, then yes, they should indeed continue to appeal, but I think it is a mistake of them to do this publicly, pretending that he did "nothing wrong". The big picture does show him up as a person without common decency and manners at the very least. (He is in good company among some fellow footballers in that respect, to be sure. :-) )
Original post by llys
He doesn't even have to show remorse for what he did. He could just say something like "I wish none of this had ever happened", which is probably true (at least I bloody HOPE so) and would already appease a lot of people - even if it doesn't mean what they think it means. I don't personally know whether he technically committed rape (although I do think it is very likely), but I do know that I find the whole of his behaviour on that night morally revolting, and not "perfectly normal and acceptable" like his family and some other supporters try to make it out to be. I think that if he is technically innocent of rape, then yes, they should indeed continue to appeal, but I think it is a mistake of them to do this publicly, pretending that he did "nothing wrong". The big picture does show him up as a person without common decency and manners at the very least. (He is in good company among some fellow footballers in that respect, to be sure. :-) )

Why? If he says anything, no matter what, it will be taken by damn near everybody as an admission of guilt, and given that this situation still seems very much inconclusive it is highly likely that he still believes that he was wrongfully convicted, and as such does not want to say anything which would be taken as an admission of guilt.
Reply 54
Original post by mackemforever
Why? If he says anything, no matter what, it will be taken by damn near everybody as an admission of guilt, and given that this situation still seems very much inconclusive it is highly likely that he still believes that he was wrongfully convicted, and as such does not want to say anything which would be taken as an admission of guilt.

"I wish none of this had ever happened" is not an admission of guilt!

Like Sr90 said, the club that signs him will surely make him say something. They have their own PR to consider.
Original post by llys
"I wish none of this had ever happened" is not an admission of guilt!

Like Sr90 said, the club that signs him will surely make him say something. They have their own PR to consider.

I didn't say it is, I said that lots of people would take it as one.
From the evidence it is clear that she was drunk and thus she couldn't consent so there is no argument whether Evans raped her or not that is the Law so it really annoys me that He still lies that He is innocent.The evidence is so obvious that it must have been an easy verdict to reach.I think there is a good argument that since He still refuses to admit his guilt then He shouldn't be pardoned by anyone.What is really horrible is that the girl was abused by people calling her horrible names when She was a victim of rape and these kinds of people are supporters of Ched so maybe we need to keep them unhappy as punishment for this abuse.
Original post by mackemforever

All he has to say is that he regrets his behaviour and that he will try and clear his name through the appropriate channels, but his main focus will be on his job. Even if he is later proven innocent, his behaviour that night was still below the standards expected from a professional footballer.

Original post by Dalek1099
What is really horrible is that the girl was abused by people calling her horrible names when She was a victim of rape and these kinds of people are supporters of Ched so maybe we need to keep them unhappy as punishment for this abuse.

The 'outing' of the victim was a complete disgrace, no wonder so many rapes go unreported.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Deshi
Even after reading that I can;t figure out how have they proved it beyond reasonable doubt.

Lmao you weren;t there

Really? You laughed your a** off?

And presumably you weren't in court, didn't hear all the evidence and 'weren't there':rolleyes:
Reply 59
Original post by Kat_Buchan
Really? You laughed your a** off?

And presumably you weren't in court, didn't hear all the evidence and 'weren't there':rolleyes:

Yeah because guess what? Juries aren't always a 100% correct, and he clearly believes he got consent, and even after reading all the reports there's no way they've proved the case beyond reasonable doubt. There is so much conjecture in this case and as mackem mentions above, anything alluding to an apology will be seen as an admission of guilt, if you believed you were innocent you wouldn't do that.

So yes, the fact that you find it disturbing is hilarious.

Quick Reply

Latest