The Student Room Group

Should Ched Evans play football again??

I am interested in peoples thoughts about whether people think that Ched should be able to represent his country again and play his football within the football league?

No question about his ability but should a convicted rapist be able to play on live television?

Scroll to see replies

Was he sentenced to 5 years or was he sentenced to 5 year and no more being a footballer?
is Ched a real name ?
Reply 3
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Was he sentenced to 5 years or was he sentenced to 5 year and no more being a footballer?

He was found guilty in April 2012 of raping a 19-year-old and has served half his sentence and will serve the rest on tag. Nothing about football was mentioned!
Yes, but no club with any standards should employ him. It would completely tarnish their reputation. The only good reason I can see to put him on a football pitch is so they can get one of the opposition to snap his legs.
I think he should be able to, yes. People should be punished for their crimes, and Ched Evans already has been. After his punishment is complete, he's a free man, and should be able to do whatever he likes.

I can understand for example, not allowing convicted paedophiles to enter the teaching profession, or not allowing animal abusers to own any pets, or something like that; because it's feared that it might give them the opportunity to revert back to their criminal ways. But not allowing a convicted rapist to play football? I'm afraid I don't see the connection between rape and football. Of course the issue is whether or not any football club actually wants to sign him, rather than an actual enforced ban on playing football.

Having said that, I have some mixed views on whether or not the punishment he received is actually sufficient. I believe that the sentence for a convicted rapist should be much harsher than just a couple of years in prison, and then being let out again to play football or to do whatever else you want. However, should he have even been convicted in the first place? I don't necessarily think so. "Too drunk to consent" is always going to be a wishy-washy business.
(edited 9 years ago)
There's nothing stopping him playing football. Whether there's a club that will sign him is the issue.
Original post by RoggyRoo
He was found guilty in April 2012 of raping a 19-year-old and has served half his sentence and will serve the rest on tag. Nothing about football was mentioned!

In that case then fine, he ****ed up, he was punished, when is enough enough? And do people really care about him representing his club/country or is it that they dislike the idea that he'd be paid a fortune?
Reply 8
Original post by RoggyRoo
I am interested in peoples thoughts about whether people think that Ched should be able to represent his country again and play his football within the football league?

No question about his ability but should a convicted rapist be able to play on live television?

Luke McCormick came back to play football after what he did. Question is, is he willing to come back to football and swallow the amount of abuse he'll get from fans..
Obviously, but rape is entering the same sphere as paedophilia where certain groups of people lose their minds and require some kind of lifelong frenzied witch hunt. If he worked cleaning toilets no one would care about him returning to work. Its the fact he's going to earn a ton of cash and people are going to admire his talent, that people can't stand.

As for kids seeing him as a role model, if your kid sees a convicted rapist as a role model because he's a pretty middle of the road footballer, then you're a terrible parent. If your kids thinks rape is okay, because someone who did has a life after spending years in prison as punishment, they aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Fizzel
Obviously, but rape is entering the same sphere as paedophilia where certain groups of people lose their minds and require some kind of lifelong frenzied witch hunt. If he worked cleaning toilets no one would care about him returning to work. Its the fact he's going to earn a ton of cash and people are going to admire his talent, that people can't stand.

Need to rep other people but this x 100.
Reply 11
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
In that case then fine, he ****ed up, he was punished, when is enough enough? And do people really care about him representing his club/country or is it that they dislike the idea that he'd be paid a fortune?

But has he served his sentence ..... halved for good behaviour... still means he has 2 and half years left to serve. Should he be able to earn a very good wage when he is still technically serving a sentence for his crime??

I am still on the fence on this one! Has he done the time for the crime .... in my opinion no!!
(edited 9 years ago)
He should get raped by a guy and then he can do what he wants
i think he should be allowed to play except not in mixed teams.
Rape convicts should dedicate their lives to community service and nothing else
Fizzel always hits the nail on the head, one of the best posters on TSR.
What I want to know is why Nick Clegg has got an involved? And with the most useless comment that Sheffield United should "think very carefully" about it.

Moral instruction from a political prostitute.
(edited 9 years ago)
She said no Ched.
Reply 18
Original post by tengentoppa
What I want to know is why Nick Clegg has got an involved? And with the most useless comment that Sheffield Wednesday should "think very carefully" about it.

Moral instruction from a political prostitute.

He's an MP for Sheffield - and it's Sheffield United, not Wednesday.
If he does play again, he is going to have hell of the crowds anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest