The Student Room Group

How to make someone fall back in love with you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maid Marian
Really sorry to hear that, hun :console: :frown:

Alas, there is no magical way to make someone fall in love with you again. If there was, I'm sure the world wouldn't be full of so many broken hearts. :lol: The best you can do is give him space and hope that he misses you. I doubt anything you say could really change his mind. :no:

Also, put it this way. Why waste your time on someone who does not love you back? Why waste your tears over someone who does not cry over you? Retain some dignity and give him up for lost, and live in hope that you will find someone else, someone better, and best of all, someone who will love you back and treat you in the way you deserve to be treated.

Don't settle for the Sheriff of Nottingham when there is a band of Merry outlaws out there who will love you as the fair maiden you are. :ahee: :ahee:

Thanks for your post, I've noticed you around and you always seem so kind/caring. Wish I had a friend like that in real life.
True. I've given him space and he hasn't messaged me yet, so I can only assume he doesn't miss me. *sigh*, I literally check my phone every few minutes hoping to see a message from him saying that he didn't mean all that stuff and wants to fix things.
I don't think I'm going to find someone like that. I'm not like other people, going from partner to partner, I rarely even have particularly close friends (like I've had many friends but none I'd open up to really). It took me 20 years to 'find' him, and it took knowing him for like 8 years before that even happened. I'm trying to retain dignity, but tbh I'd throw that all away if it'd make him come back to me.
Haha that last bit made me laugh!
Original post by Foo.mp3
"He'd tell me how much he loved me all the time and that he wanted to spend his life with me, we planned our future together"

vs.

"..my reaction made him think that this was so stupid and he got over it"

"He says he's happy"

"..currently not talking following him saying he's over this and isn't interested"

Are you trying to point out the disparity between his comments or just how the later comments indicate it's not meant to be?
But yeah, all the sweet thing he said (the quoted one is just one example, he always said sweet things like that) make it even harder to give up. He was so invested, he was always the more clingy/jealous one, I just don't believe he could just stop caring. I mean, I'm trying to accept it but my mind just flashes back to all those things. I once scrolled through our messages to remember what he was like with me
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your post, I've noticed you around and you always seem so kind/caring. Wish I had a friend like that in real life.
True. I've given him space and he hasn't messaged me yet, so I can only assume he doesn't miss me. *sigh*, I literally check my phone every few minutes hoping to see a message from him saying that he didn't mean all that stuff and wants to fix things.
I don't think I'm going to find someone like that. I'm not like other people, going from partner to partner, I rarely even have particularly close friends (like I've had many friends but none I'd open up to really). It took me 20 years to 'find' him, and it took knowing him for like 8 years before that even happened. I'm trying to retain dignity, but tbh I'd throw that all away if it'd make him come back to me.
Haha that last bit made me laugh!

Awh :hugs:

Ugh, I know, I have been there, that's such a crappy situation. D'you think it would help if you abandoned your phone for a bit, so that you won't keep checking to see if he's messaged you? :redface: Obsessive checking makes you feel (or at least, it makes me feel) really dependent and pathetic. It's unhealthy and just takes over your life. :sigh:

Again, I relate entirely. I was just trying to be positive and optimistic for you. I don't make close friends in rl either. And I know I, too, would probably throw my dignity away without a second thought if it meant I could get what I wanted so badly :lol: :redface:

Please keep your chin up and try not to feel so bad :puppyeyes: Try your best not to think about him, like I said before, there's no point in giving some much of your thoughts and time and emotions to someone who wouldn't do the same back. :redface:
Original post by jhumfy
Theres more chance of him getting over you If you carry on talking to him. Let him cool down, let him miss you. Like I've said if he still cares he's gonna panic that he's lost you and do something about it. If not, do you really want to be with him? If it's only you putting any effort in and feeling anything then you're in love with the idea of him, or what he used to be - because who in their right mind would be in love with someone who didn't want to give them the time of day. Just concentrate on your life and your happiness without him around and who knows, by the time he decides he's made a mistake you could have met someone else, it happened to me and I can honestly say I'm so glad the previous guy broke up with me now, although at first I was in the same boat as you and would have done anything to get him back. Sometimes **** things do just happen for a really good reason. :smile: keep smiling, men are overrated anyway :P

I havent spoken to him and he hasnt messaged me. He obviously doesn't miss me.
I do want to be with him, I just want what we had back. Maybe it's being in love with what he used to be but I can't stop thinking about him. I can't believe he's gone from how things were to just not caring.
I'm glad things went well for you but I doubt I'm ever going to meet someone else who I can click with and be comfortable with and love like that.
The "abandoning your phone" advice MM suggests is actually very good advice.

I know from personal experience. With your phone on you, you're always tempted to txt/call them, to keep checking for responses, etc. And you feel depressed if they don't reply, etc.

But if you don't have your phone with you, all those thoughts go out of the window. Cos you know you cant contact them, and they cant contact you, so you don't even worry about it.

And its really helpful.

Its a good shout from MM.

Best of luck.
Awh :hugs:

Ugh, I know, I have been there, that's such a crappy situation. D'you think it would help if you abandoned your phone for a bit, so that you won't keep checking to see if he's messaged you? :redface: Obsessive checking makes you feel (or at least, it makes me feel) really dependent and pathetic. It's unhealthy and just takes over your life. :sigh:

Again, I relate entirely. I was just trying to be positive and optimistic for you. I don't make close friends in rl either. And I know I, too, would probably throw my dignity away without a second thought if it meant I could get what I wanted so badly :lol: :redface:

Please keep your chin up and try not to feel so bad :puppyeyes: Try your best not to think about him, like I said before, there's no point in giving some much of your thoughts and time and emotions to someone who wouldn't do the same back. :redface:

Thanks :smile: good idea, I've tried that but literally can't. It's been so hard for me to even not message him, the only way I've been able to do that is by hoping/reassuring myself that it'll make him miss me and message me instead. But I'll certainly try, just keep my phone far away from me so I check it less often. It does make me feel dependant and pathetic too :frown:
Haha, thanks for the positivity, I'm just not feeling in an optimistic place right now!
I know, that makes total sense, sadly my brain refuses to accept it. He has an important interview coming up tomorrow, do you think it'd be a bad idea to message him in the morning just saying good luck for it?
Thanks :smile: good idea, I've tried that but literally can't. It's been so hard for me to even not message him, the only way I've been able to do that is by hoping/reassuring myself that it'll make him miss me and message me instead. But I'll certainly try, just keep my phone far away from me so I check it less often. It does make me feel dependant and pathetic too :frown:
Haha, thanks for the positivity, I'm just not feeling in an optimistic place right now!
I know, that makes total sense, sadly my brain refuses to accept it. He has an important interview coming up tomorrow, do you think it'd be a bad idea to message him in the morning just saying good luck for it?

Try haardddeeerrr :redface: Give your phone to somebody else if you have to. It's really the best way :sadnod:
Sigh, I dunno. If you text him and he doesn't reply, imagine how crap you'll feel. But I suppose, at least you'll know for sure that he doesn't care. :dontknow:
Try haardddeeerrr :redface: Give your phone to somebody else if you have to. It's really the best way :sadnod:
Sigh, I dunno. If you text him and he doesn't reply, imagine how crap you'll feel. But I suppose, at least you'll know for sure that he doesn't care. :dontknow:

The issue is that I can't completely ignore it as 1) I have to talk to people about a uni project and 2) my parents freak out if I don't reply to them for a while!
I'm pretty sure he'd reply. At a guess, I'd think he'll say something like 'thanks, hope you're doing well too.' But then, I don't know where I'd go from there - do I reply to his reply or not?
Hmm, though you're right that I'd feel AWFUL if he didnt. I dont THINK he'd do that, but if he doesnt I think I'd leave it, as it's like ive tried as much as I can
The issue is that I can't completely ignore it as 1) I have to talk to people about a uni project and 2) my parents freak out if I don't reply to them for a while!
I'm pretty sure he'd reply. At a guess, I'd think he'll say something like 'thanks, hope you're doing well too.' But then, I don't know where I'd go from there - do I reply to his reply or not?
Hmm, though you're right that I'd feel AWFUL if he didnt. I dont THINK he'd do that, but if he doesnt I think I'd leave it, as it's like ive tried as much as I can

That's true. Well, at least try and make a rule that you don't check it until a certain amount of hours has passed, maybe? :redface:
I'd probably just leave it tbh, but then I'm definitely no expert :colondollar:
Text him then, see what he says. :smile:
Sometimes we've just got to accept that some people just didn't love us as much at they said. I know how that feels anon, I went through a breakup that was my first relationship almost 4 months ago. I've only started NC since a month plus ago. It kills but it's getting better.
This site: http://www.breakuprecoveryguide.com/
Actually put a lot into perspective for me and made go, 'y'know what? I need to move on. What the hell am I doing?' Hopefully it helps you.
All will be well anon, but you've got to give it time and you have to care for yourself, and let go. Life really isn't fair.
I should add that post break up but prior to this he'd wanted to get back together, but I was really hurt from the things he'd done (broken my trust). It's not as if we just broke up and he was happy.

So wait? You broke up, he tried to get back with you. You said no.

And now that he apparently has got over you and moved, you want him back?
Original post by silverbolt
So wait? You broke up, he tried to get back with you. You said no.

And now that he apparently has got over you and moved, you want him back?

As I said, he'd lied to me many times and I was really hurt. It took me time to get over that, and I guess his messaging me apologising/wanting to get back helped me get over the thing he'd done, as I figured he must actually care and would stop with the lies.
I started talking to him again before I realised he'd got over me. I started talking to him again while he was still messaging me and wanting to sort things, but it seemed his heart wasn't in it. When I started asking him about this he decided he was over it.
That's true. Well, at least try and make a rule that you don't check it until a certain amount of hours has passed, maybe? :redface:
I'd probably just leave it tbh, but then I'm definitely no expert :colondollar:
Text him then, see what he says. :smile:

Yeah, that's a good idea, I'll do that. You said you've been there - if you were in a similar situation how did you get over it?
Okay, will update on whether I text and if I do will probably be back to ask for advice!
Yeah, that's a good idea, I'll do that. You said you've been there - if you were in a similar situation how did you get over it?
Okay, will update on whether I text and if I do will probably be back to ask for advice!

If you wanna know then PM me :smile:

Good, would like to know how it goes ^_^
If you wanna know then PM me :smile:

Good, would like to know how it goes ^_^

So I messaged him this morning, and he's read it but not replied. You're right, it was so stupid, now I'm even more upset. How can he not even want to talk to me at all? We've been friends for 8 years and spoken almost every day.
So I messaged him this morning, and he's read it but not replied. You're right, it was so stupid, now I'm even more upset. How can he not even want to talk to me at all? We've been friends for 8 years and spoken almost every day.

Then sod him. Seriously. Sod him. He does not deserve you. I would suggest deleting his number and doing everything you can to forget about him. You've tried as much as you can. The ball is in his court.
Chin up. Boys are not the be all and end all of the world, as much as it can feel like it. Do you have any friends you can hang out with to take your mind off things?
Then sod him. Seriously. Sod him. He does not deserve you. I would suggest deleting his number and doing everything you can to forget about him. You've tried as much as you can. The ball is in his court.
Chin up. Boys are not the be all and end all of the world, as much as it can feel like it. Do you have any friends you can hang out with to take your mind off things?

Okay, he's now replied saying 'thanks x', which is sort of even worse, as its a reply but as uninterested and unenthusiastic as it could be. Urgh. I know I should, and I can control my s ruins but not my mind, I can't stop thinking about it.
I know, but he was so much more than just a boyfriend - he was my best friend, oldest friend and only real friend too. Sort of, no close ones though but I gyess I could ask done to meet up.
Thanks for being here btw, you've bern really helpful.
Okay, he's now replied saying 'thanks x', which is sort of even worse, as its a reply but as uninterested and unenthusiastic as it could be. Urgh. I know I should, and I can control my s ruins but not my mind, I can't stop thinking about it.
I know, but he was so much more than just a boyfriend - he was my best friend, oldest friend and only real friend too. Sort of, no close ones though but I gyess I could ask done to meet up.
Thanks for being here btw, you've bern really helpful.

:sad: Sorry to hear that.
I know. I know, I do sympathise. :sad: Losing close friends is **** :console: But honestly, I would just get out. It feels painful beyond anything, you can't imagine it's even possible, but you must try or it'll eat you away until you are nothing except this empty shell of longing.

No worries:hugs: Am always a PM away if you need a friend or whatever ^_^
:sad: Sorry to hear that.
I know. I know, I do sympathise. :sad: Losing close friends is **** :console: But honestly, I would just get out. It feels painful beyond anything, you can't imagine it's even possible, but you must try or it'll eat you away until you are nothing except this empty shell of longing.

No worries:hugs: Am always a PM away if you need a friend or whatever ^_^

It is. But I honestly just want him back, that's the only thing that'll fix the pain.
Do you really think not contacting him is the best hope of achieving this?
Original post by Foo.mp3
The disparity is included in the indicators that suggest this guy is not the one for you

That was then, and again that's unhealthy and a sure sign he wasn't the right guy

Get over yourself and accept the guy didn't appreciate you as fully/deeply as he seemed/purported to. Ultimately that just means he wasn't right for you, so think of him moving on so swiftly as tantamount to opening your eyes and doing you a favour

You're a mortal so that's only natural

Bless you. Sweetie, this sort of thing isn't healthy for you :frown:

It's hard to accept that he didn't appreciate me that fully/deeply after everything he's said and done. He tried to get back with me in the break, but I was so angry, I wish I'd just got over what he'd done and fixed things then. But after that, how can he just not care at all?
I know, that's how I'd have told someone to see it but I just wish my eyes hadn't been opened. I'm never the emotional type, I'm usually pretty un-attached to people and I've cut so many people out of my life, but with him it's like all my logic/reasonable thinking just go out of the window.
I know it isn't, I can't stop thinking about him though.
Do you really think not contacting him is more likely to bring him back than talking? Considering that including our break it's already been a long time since we've talked properly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending