The Student Room Group

Fellow learner drivers. What do you find most difficult about driving?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spock's Socks
My problem with the L plates is more reminding my bf to take them off when he is driving in case we end up on a motorway and learner drivers aren't allowed on them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd probably get pulled over if on a motorway and then he'd show his full license and the police would understand it was a mistake.

Although generally people are A LOT less patient with learners and tailgate, overtake at dangerous points etc, so might want to remind him for that reason.
Reply 81
Original post by ToastyCoke
You'd probably get pulled over if on a motorway and then he'd show his full license and the police would understand it was a mistake.

Although generally people are A LOT less patient with learners and tailgate, overtake at dangerous points etc, so might want to remind him for that reason.

Yeah we are off to Blackpool on Friday so we will be on the motorway for hours so I have a reminder set on his phone to take them off before we leave. That better remind him! :tongue: I dont want us getting into trouble with the police or annoying other drivers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah we are off to Blackpool on Friday so we will be on the motorway for hours so I have a reminder set on his phone to take them off before we leave. That better remind him! :tongue: I dont want us getting into trouble with the police or annoying other drivers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some police will claim it's an offence unless he holds a driving instructor certificate to display L plates whilst not teaching, but the highway code doesn't say that.

If they're the magnetic ones, I'm surprised they're still on the car after being on the motorway! Think I lost about 3 sets whilst learning.
Reply 83
Just about to head out to my next lesson. This week we are doing right turns and we done left turns last week. The only problem I had was judging the width of the car while driving and I kept on being too far away from the junction when stopping to see if it was safe to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
I always struggled with having to deal with other drivers :tongue: I'd rush manouvres and drive quite erractically so that I felt I wasn't annoying them.

Now I don't care about them though, I'll drive my way!

Sometimes my mind will go blank though and I'll make stupid mistakes.
On my last lesson I couldn't get the car in to gear.....because I didn't have the clutch down. This happened on three seperate occasions despite the fact I've never done it previously :colondollar: Think I cause my instructor to lose all hope for me sometimes hah.
Reply 85
This weeks lesson is on crossroads. I have my right and left turning at junctions down to a t, its crossing my arms over while turning the wheel that I need to stop doing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been learning to drive since August and took a month off! :L So only 3 months.... ONLY.
Been a nightmare getting back into it since, i do not recommend having anymore than a week off if you are only getting driving time in your instructors car.
I can do the manoeuvres fine, even correct them if i screw up. I literally just have these stupid blonde moments and they've been getting worse since I've been piled on with essays at Uni recently.

Here is my blonde list:
Pulling clutch up too quickly - stalling.
Going into 4th gear instead of 2nd. or 3rd instead of 1st.
Forgetting to indicate.
Not reacting to other drivers quick enough.
Pulling out too quickly.

My instructor said i'd be so much closer to test ready if I didn't make so many silly errors! as I should be brushing up on my manevours! :frown:
hoping when Uni stops being so crazy ill stop almost killing everyone on the road...
Stall like once every now and then. And I get too near parked cars or near cards on the other side of the road. And sometimes I turn the steering wheel way too much. Any help?
Original post by mcgreevy1993

Here is my blonde list:
Pulling clutch up too quickly - stalling. Apply a little gas before finding the bite. This will make the car kangaroo rather than stall if you bring the clutch up too fast which you can recover by slightly depressing the clutch again.
Going into 4th gear instead of 2nd. or 3rd instead of 1st. This happens sometimes, don't worry about it too much. Use the palm technique to change gear and don't yank the stick about.
Forgetting to indicate. ALWAYS indicate. Even if there's nobody about. It's a habit that you'll pick up and not even think about. As soon as you know where you're going, other drivers should too.
Not reacting to other drivers quick enough. If you have slow reactions whilst driving, just lower your speed a little. Instead of panicking about reacting instantly, driving slower means you have more time to react. Keep it 5 or so below the speed limit.
Pulling out too quickly. I'm guessing this is from a junction. Movement should be smooth and safe. If you can't cross the road walking before another vehicle is coming your way, then you shouldn't pull out.

Bolded.
getting in the right lane (pre-planning)!!
Original post by ToastyCoke
Bolded.

Thankyou! Clutch thing defo and 5 under speed limit :smile:
When learning my main problems were with concentration, judgement & anxiety :angry:
Reply 92
Its weird, I am usually such a panicky person in every day life but as soon as I am driving I feel calm, I still get the normal level of nerves for a learner driver but compared to how I usually feel, when I am driving, its the most relaxed I ever feel lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Anyone else finding it hard to stop crossing their arms while turning? My instructor is forever telling me off about this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Probably roundabouts. For some reason at roundabouts i turn into a nervous wreck, i wait too long or i'm in the wrong lane half the time. Also, i find it really difficult to stay concentrated throughout the whole lesson meaning i forget to indicate or change into the wrong gear the odd time.
Anyone else finding it hard to stop crossing their arms while turning? My instructor is forever telling me off about this

Posted from TSR Mobile

I made sure to never do it from the start so I haven't picked up the habit to begin with but I do tend to let the wheel slide through my hands when straightening after a turn.
I find roudabouts hard sometimes.
Reply 97
On my last lesson a few days ago my driving instructor said we would just be doing more left and right turns and crossroads and half an hour into the lesson he told to take the left at the next road and I never realised that was the busy main road into town! So we drove up that main busy road and through the town and down the beach twice. He said he kept it a surprise because he knew I would be worrying about it all week if he told me the week before which is probably true tbh. I was fine. I was kinda nervous about being around so many other drivers as I was used to just side streets and quiet areas. I kept thinking I wouldn't stop in time for the lights or would bang into another car but I was fine. The thought of doing things is a lot worse than actually doing it I have noticed more and more in life now :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find roundabouts a bit tricky but I wait until there is a large gap for me so I don't panic :tongue:
Right now it's just little mistakes that make me fail my test :frown:
Reply 99
getting the keyhole in the door to open it. I usually near miss it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending