The Student Room Group

What's the thing you've learnt most from your ex?

Scroll to see replies

Once you take her virginity its not all that, certain flair goes away.

Move on to next one.
Don't give your trust to anyone.
Reply 22
To communicate more with a partner.
Reply 23
Original post by Mistee M
I feel like you've lived my relationship. I have learnt that too!
Especially the suicide stuff. :frown:

Yeah, mental illness can destroy even relationships you thought were going well. :frown:

My first relationship was horrible: multiple affairs, numerous mental health issues, self-harm, attempted suicides... I have no idea how I handled that for 8 months but I certainly couldn't do it again. That **** made me almost as unstable as she was! She's doing way, way better now luckily.
Arrogance is ugly
Don't put up with a whiny **** and never date an over the top big boob guy again.
My first ex:
Listen to your instincts. If you feel there's something dodgy about someone, you're probably right!

My second ex:
Romance is all but dead.

My third and most recent ex:
If you don't have ANY common interests, chances are your relationship won't work!
Never give 100% of yourself to anyone :nah:
Reply 28
Communication is kind of important.

Don't hold back.
The same thing I've learned from every one of my partners: that I'm a self-absorbed prick, incapable of loving anyone who doesn't accept me unconditionally and incapable of respecting anyone who does.
Sometimes woman just love the attention...
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

I don't think I could ever give 100% of myself to anyone, even if I wanted to. I wouldn't know how.
Original post by Dr Pesto
I don't think I could ever give 100% of myself to anyone, even if I wanted to. I wouldn't know how.

That's good, tbh. Self-preservation is no bad thing :nah:
Don't believe in forever till it has literally happened.
That's good, tbh. Self-preservation is no bad thing :nah:

But, it's sad. Wouldn't you like to find someone you can give 100% of yourself to?
Original post by Profesh
The same thing I've learned from every one of my partners: that I'm a self-absorbed prick, incapable of loving anyone who doesn't accept me unconditionally and incapable of respecting anyone who does.

Never really thought about it like this, but this. I'd never wanted someone till I found someone who seemed to love me no matter what, but when I did I always somewhat looked down on him/felt I had the upper hand (only a little and subtley, but still). Let me know when you find a solution!
Loss of trust means loss of relationship... rebuilding it is pretty much impossible without causing further issues.
Original post by So Instinct
I've just generally matured most when in relationships. The list of things I've learnt is a long one, but I will say that I find sometimes the right girl can/will turn you into a better man- whether that's during the relationship or being shocked into realisation/maturity once you realised you've lost her.
Yeh people change for sure.Especially in long term ones...you think shes the same gal...but shes not.

And more importantly youre not.

Original post by Anonymous
I'm not straight.
hahah brillant well its gonna be a fun journey:smile:

Original post by Vixen47
Rationality/reason always wins
Hmm at our age I'd imagine this is especially true.....

I mean ultimately some things just aren't possible and romance can't or shouldn't defeat practicalities in the most part in the long run.

BIG thing I learnt in mine.

Original post by donutaud15
Not to trust completely

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm I'm not sure I agree. You need to trust...be sceptical sure but trust. Give the benefit of the doubt but importantly realise and accept the consequences of trusting them. You can't just blame them afterwards..as you chose to trust them.

Original post by Quilt
Don't rely on somebody for happiness! You need to be happy within yourself instead :smile:

Yep true true. Hence I don't want a relationship these days...I'd like a fling again though:smile:
Original post by Quilt
SO important and so many people don't realise it!

Don't overdo it gurl we gets it!!!! ugh....
Original post by CJKay
Communication is key, if she accuses you of cheating she's probably cheating, mental health issues can destroy a relationship quite effectively, don't rely on them for happiness, don't date heavy drinkers, don't bottle things up and going back to somebody because they threaten suicide makes things worse.

I don't think any one of those things is more effective advice.
ah...bit strong advice there.not sure Id swallow...
Original post by queen-bee
Trust can be broken in a matter of seconds and impossible to rebuilt again.
Yep...you wake up one day and its done for...generally I reckon you should draw boundaries early on and keep them.Lately however ive been leaving relationships early when they don't go completely my way or when we go backwards...maybe I should stop that.
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Once you take her virginity its not all that, certain flair goes away.

Move on to next one.
ah...so losing virginity and taking isnt that big a deal.good to know.

Original post by Strawberry68
Don't put up with a whiny **** and never date an over the top big boob guy again.
hahahah :tongue: I am that whiny ****!!!!

ah.......hmmm.....yep.

Original post by Profesh

delightful.
Original post by Pennyarcade
Sometimes woman just love the attention...
True.

Original post by joker12345
Never really thought about it like this, but this. I'd never wanted someone till I found someone who seemed to love me no matter what, but when I did I always somewhat looked down on him/felt I had the upper hand (only a little and subtley, but still). Let me know when you find a solution!
Yeh I agree!! I remember there was this hot girl who...actually a few times two ideal girls who like...semi adored me..thought I was the next Jesus..anyways..you're prone to abuse it.. or in another case not give it a chance. I need better control and respect to others and myself and essentially thats what underpins such a mistake.
That girls are always right. Even when they're wrong they will pick up on you saying they're wrong and will twist it so that males are in the wrong for 'picking out a flaw' obviously this isn't every girl but yeah, also, that if she's part of your friendship group, when you break, all your mates will suddenly stop caring about you and try sleep with her...because there's some pussy on the market! Woo!

Also yeah she did my nut in but you honestly don't realise what you have until you lose it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending