The Student Room Group

Student cooking

Just out of interest, what kind of meals do you make on a weekly basis?
And what kind of recipes so you think should be in student cookbooks?
Any answers would be appreciated :smile:
My two brothers are at uni; one basically lives on pasta (pasta and pesto, spag bol, macaroni cheese...) The other makes stir fries, or concoctions - mince/sausages with sauce and vegetables that will last him a few days. Chicken breasts with cheese or Yorkshire puddings stuffed with sweetcorn, cheese, tomatoes and Ham are also quite nice and easy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I lived off pasta, fajitas and stir fries in University. Occasionally would have fish just baked in the oven with chips or boiled veg. Usually stuff that could be made in under an hour would be what I'd cook. :tongue:
some students only have microwave and hob so one pot cooking e.g. meat stew and microwave specials like cake in a mug. Pan fried pizza is good and lots of stir fries.Also how to turn tinned tomates into a decent pasta sauce.
pasta - sauce or bakes, all easy and fairly quick
curries - can mix with rice, pasta or spag and just tip the sauce in and re-use it a few times if you're eating by yourself.
I personally cook a lot of chicken at the start of the week and then just pick through it for all my recipes keeping it refrigerated and then just heating it up in the wok with the sauce for 5-10 minutes. cottage cheese + chicken is a high protein lunch, you can make wraps, literally tons of things you can do. all the chicken normally lasts until friday - costs me about £5-6 for 700g-1kg. .
frozen food you can just chuck on a tray and shove it in the oven without having to do anything - so fishfingers + wedges, battered fish, chicken kiev's - its all good. frozen vegetable packets - microwave.
And then there's the legendary fry up.
no reason why you can't eat properly :smile:
a slow cooker can be good, you just shove your meal in in the morning with a few herbs/spices/some gravy and when you get home it's done

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending