The Student Room Group

Wider Reading?

Is wider reading really that beneficial in subjects like Psychology and History? My teachers say it is good to do wider reading but I do not know what to read.. Does wider reading mean read only books or can wider reading come under reading other textbooks not given by the teacher?

Also does anyone have any suggestions for wider reading on Psychology AQA A AS Level, The Russian Revolution and Britain and the Nationalist Challenge in India? (History Edexcel)
Reply 1
Wider reading means reading things related to (one of) your subjects that you are especially interested in. It does not have to be related to the A level syllabus. So figure out what you find fascinating, and read stuff about it. That way, when you come to write your PS, you can demonstrate that you have real passion for your subject and have taken the initiative to go off the beaten track.

It's also a lot of fun.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ben4
Is wider reading really that beneficial in subjects like Psychology and History? My teachers say it is good to do wider reading but I do not know what to read.. Does wider reading mean read only books or can wider reading come under reading other textbooks not given by the teacher?

Also does anyone have any suggestions for wider reading on Psychology AQA A AS Level, The Russian Revolution and Britain and the Nationalist Challenge in India? (History Edexcel)

To be honest for history I'd say it's not necessary and you could likely achieve an A grade without extra reading. I guess a bit of extra reading, gathering quotes and alternative perspectives could help you achieve an A* but I really wouldn't worry about it to be honest. As for psychology I couldn't say.
Original post by Ben4

Wider reading is beneficial and to be perfectly honest should be obligatory for all subjects. How can you be sure that you like your subject if you've not even taken the effort to go beyond the curriculum? Don't read textbooks, they're boring. I don't know much about psychology or history but there are lots of good books on all subjects that you should be able to understand. Go to your local Waterstones or something and they'll have lots of interesting psychology and history books.

Don't be constrained by the curriculum. I promise you'll enjoy your subject a lot more if you take an extracurricular interest in it.
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
Wider reading is beneficial and to be perfectly honest should be obligatory for all subjects. How can you be sure that you like your subject if you've not even taken the effort to go beyond the curriculum? Don't read textbooks, they're boring. I don't know much about psychology or history but there are lots of good books on all subjects that you should be able to understand. Go to your local Waterstones or something and they'll have lots of interesting psychology and history books.

Don't be constrained by the curriculum. I promise you'll enjoy your subject a lot more if you take an extracurricular interest in it.

did u do biology? and did u do wider reading for that? if so what books?
Certainly useful, but not necessary to achieve good grades.
Original post by Ben4
did u do biology? and did u do wider reading for that? if so what books?

I don't take Biology at A Level, but I would strongly recommend "The Selfish Gene" by R. Dawkins. It's a really excellent book (despite the author's insufferable personality) and it was probably responsible for kickstarting my interest in science.

Quick Reply

Latest