The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Age is just a number.

As long as you're both 18.
Original post by Pomum96
I am 18 and I am as mature as I was when I was a toddler and will probably always be this way. So to me, my age really is just a skinny person and a curvy lady standing next to each other. But remember that if people found out about you two, their judgement could be very damaging, and she is just a kid.

I don't actually understand a word of this :s-smilie:
The age gap isn't the issue. Its her age.
Worth a shot I guess....just don't be surprised if it doesn't work.
Original post by Crumpet1
I think the concern other posters are having with your posts is that you seem to be suggesting that because it worked out fine in your case, therefore it is fine in every case. But in the OP's situation he has already said that the girl is sweet and innocent, of a different race and class to him, and he suffers from serious social anxiety and self confidence issues which seems to be the reason why he is aiming so much lower than his own age. It is that combination which makes the situation so concerning here.

I have MILD social anxiety issues not SERIOUS ones and self confidence is okay, but not as great as it should be for someone my age. I met another girl who is more my age today so i am more than capable of it.
Reply 125
Original post by Anonymous
Not everyone will have been to Uni yet by 21, so may be behind mentally

Regardless, the vast majority of people will have either been to university or have worked. Also, the OP said 23, not 21, so why 21 was even brought into this discussion I don't know.

Let's not pretend this is normal. It is not. The 16 year old is a minor and her parents have a duty to protect her. If you are 23 move on and find an adult to get involved with.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I was 17, he was 24. Nobody thought it would last...

Now I'm 30, he's 37. We're married and we have 4 kids.

Well it worked for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Well it worked for you.

It did.

Don't get me wrong I don't necessarily think it would work for everyone, but then again I don't really think that's a question of age rather than just a question of whether two people are truly compatible and meant to be with each other.
You could get two people in their 40s whose relationship doesn't last. You just can't tell.

And then on the other hand

she was 16 and he was 21
http://www.gazetteseries.co.uk/news/11369904.Cam_couple_celebrate_diamond_wedding_anniversary/?ref=mr

she was 15 and he was 20
http://www.guideandgazette.co.uk/news/local-headlines/diamond-celebration-for-the-maguires-1-3575070

she was 16 and he was 54!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2566535/Hes-got-10-missing-teeth-pot-belly-hes-gorgeous-Couple-38-year-age-gap-renew-wedding-vows-13th-anniversary.html

and so on and so forth
Original post by AdamCee
Ah the n/2 +7 rule. How could I forgot

If there is grass on the pitch you are good to go
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I don't actually understand a word of this :s-smilie:

Don't worry darling, I am crazy. You are beautiful, live long and prosper.
Original post by marvel567
If there is grass on the pitch you are good to go

Never heard that before... Love it!

"If she's old enough to bleed she's old enough to breed"
Original post by AdamCee
Never heard that before... Love it!

"If she's old enough to bleed she's old enough to breed"

I thought the saying was "old enough to bleed, old enough to butcher" ?
Original post by Anonymous
I thought the saying was "old enough to bleed, old enough to butcher" ?

I like the rhyme better, but that works too :P
Original post by Asklepios
Just wait another 4 years and it will be fine (according to the n/2 +7 rule)

Quite a good rule. I'm 22, so 18 for me... Sweet.
I was 16 (17 three weeks after we met), he was 23. We slept together for months before it progressed to a real relationship. Whole thing lasted about 14 months before I found out he cheated on me while I went off to university at age 18.

Take from that what you will.

However, I'd like to point out that things ultimately went wrong because of the different stages in life we were at. She will be progressing through school, then maybe university if she goes. She'll be invited to more parties from 16-18 probably, start clubbing in a year and a bit. She's still in the exciting growing up stage whereas you're more stable and have done all that.

I'd also like to note I was at the end of my AS levels when I met my ex, going into A2. I was not doing my GCSEs. Despite technically being the same age, add a few months, it makes a huge difference when you're still in school what year you're in.

Also, my mum has a friend who's husband is almost 20 years older than her. He used to go meet her from school at age 16 when he was in his 30s. Sound creepy to you? Well, they married 3 years later and almost 30 years later, are still together.

Again, take from it what you will but it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion.
If it helps. My ex boyfriend at 23 went out with a 16 year old. He got dumped when she went to uni at 18, saying she wasn't ready for a committed relationship, that was sort of coming to be honest. It could work!

Long term, maybe not likely. 16-18 is the time of growing up for many and especially during uni as well. A date is not a harm to ask of course as she's of age.
Original post by Foo.mp3
I befriended a 16 year old neighbour at 24. We became best friends and at 17/25 we were seeing each other :h:

:eek: Grooming.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Something like that :emog: Genuinely very good friends tho, and managed to keep me paws off her for almost an entire year! (and this girl was gorgeous) :jebus:

Yeah i jest. A relationship at 16-17 would probably be too much but plenty of hot girls and if they can't keep their kitty away from you then :colone:
When I was 16 I went out with a guy who was 26 [I was 15 when we met]. It was my first relationship and we had a pretty good run of it for a while. I got on with him better than almost anybody else I knew, he treated me well for the most part and we genuinely cared about each other at the time.

Looking back now, the age gap probably was a bit much. I looked a little older than I was and he perhaps looked a bit younger than he was so I don't think most outsiders could tell. There were times when I felt a little bit "inferior" though. It felt as though he knew so much and I knew so little. But, at the end of the day, I was still old enough to know what I was doing. You sound like a nice enough guy but I'd suggest to wait at least until she's finished school. People can be quick to jump to conclusions about these things and they're never good ones.
(edited 9 years ago)
Guys like you are predators.
Find a girl your own age ffs

Latest

Trending

Trending