The Student Room Group

Do UNIs prefer people who don't resit exams in oct/I got ABBC - English Literature, m

Do UNIs prefer people who don't resit exams in oct/I got ABBC - English Literature, maths (one point A) , chemistry (two point A) and C in physics ( had an awful day that day) I'm continuing with English maths and physics and resitting physics and maths to get AAA* if I do manage to get it through my resit an my predicted grades are AAA, will maybe be taken in UCL, surrey or Brunel? Is Brunel good? To what extend would they mind my previous As results if they're improved now in October?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SilviaRG
Do UNIs prefer people who don't resit exams in oct/I got ABBC - English Literature, maths (one point A) , chemistry (two point A) and C in physics ( had an awful day that day) I'm continuing with English maths and physics and resitting physics and maths to get AAA* if I do manage to get it through my resit an my predicted grades are AAA, will maybe be taken in UCL, surrey or Brunel? Is Brunel good? To what extend would they mind my previous As results if they're improved now in October?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just being realistic, UCL probably won't accept re-sits without mitigating circumstances.
Reply 2
Really?? Do they even have to SEE the summer results? Pff
Thnxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SilviaRG
Really?? Do they even have to SEE the summer results? Pff
Thnxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep! Not sure about the other 2 unis but UCL's pretty similar to Oxbridge in terms of admissions. Depending on how your results are printed, they'll probably see that it was a resit.
Reply 4
Original post by Frenspan14
Yep! Not sure about the other 2 unis but UCL's pretty similar to Oxbridge in terms of admissions. Depending on how your results are printed, they'll probably see that it was a resit.

In that case can you explain what gave you the idea that Oxbridge dislike resits within the two years taken to get your A-levels? It sounds like yet another resit myth.
Original post by Ronove
In that case can you explain what gave you the idea that Oxbridge dislike resits within the two years taken to get your A-levels? It sounds like yet another resit myth.

It's not a myth. Considering the minute percentage of students that apply and actually get accepted into Oxbridge, do you think either of the UK's top unis are going to prefer someone re-taking an exam without a valid reason above students that achieve the desired grade first time around?

Everyone that visited my sixth form on behalf of Oxbridge to give talks all stated that they preferred students who did not resit. I even know students who were rejected for resits even with valid medical reasons.
I guess for your ucas you need to apply to a mixture of good, middle and maybe one quite bad university
Reply 7
It's not a myth. Considering the minute percentage of students that apply and actually get accepted into Oxbridge, do you think either of the UK's top unis are going to prefer someone re-taking an exam without a valid reason above students that achieve the desired grade first time around?

This does not justify your claim, it simply explains why you personally think it would be reasonable for them to actively favour students who do no resits.

Everyone that visited my sixth form on behalf of Oxbridge to give talks all stated that they preferred students who did not resit. I even know students who were rejected for resits even with valid medical reasons.

This could give weight to your claim. Do you know if either university mentions preferring students who do not resit on their website anywhere? Who exactly were these people at your Sixth Form representing? Specific colleges? What exactly did they say, were they answering a question? If so, what exactly was the wording of the question?
Original post by Ronove
This does not justify your claim, it simply explains why you personally think it would be reasonable for them to actively favour students who do no resits.

This could give weight to your claim. Do you know if either university mentions preferring students who do not resit on their website anywhere? Who exactly were these people at your Sixth Form representing? Specific colleges? What exactly did they say, were they answering a question? If so, what exactly was the wording of the question?

I wasn't using it as personal justification, it's just common sense. For a highly selective university i.e. top 5, only a small number are accepted.

I'm not sure where I'd look on the website, and we don't know which course OP wants to take. They were from various college admissions depts from both Oxford and Cambridge. They were responding directly to someone asking how Oxbridge viewed A Level resits. "So how do Oxbridge view resits?"

Not really sure why I'm getting the third degree for expressing what is pretty common knowledge. You seem very adamant that it's a lie.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/10236397/University-bias-against-A-level-resit-pupils.html
Reply 9
I wasn't using it as personal justification, it's just common sense. For a highly selective university i.e. top 5, only a small number are accepted.

I'm not sure where I'd look on the website, and we don't know which course OP wants to take. They were from various college admissions depts from both Oxford and Cambridge. They were responding directly to someone asking how Oxbridge viewed A Level resits. "So how do Oxbridge view resits?"

Not really sure why I'm getting the third degree for expressing what is pretty common knowledge. You seem very adamant that it's a lie.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/10236397/University-bias-against-A-level-resit-pupils.html

A lot of things seem to be 'just common sense' to applicants, but applicants are not university admissions tutors, and are therefore frequently wrong about these things (as are school staff who are in charge of dishing out advice).

I'm sure you think that resits would be a no-no for Medicine applicants as well, what with the insane competition (eg apparently ~60% of applicants getting no offers the first time round), and plenty of applicants spread this idea. But it's not true.

You are not an admissions tutor. You do not know what makes most sense for a university.

From your link:
Other top institutions including Oxford, and dozens of less selective universities, treated first-time exams and resits in the same way.

So how does that fit with you saying that admissions tutors from both Oxford and Cambridge told you this? Not everyone has the right information. Doesn't stop them blabbing on about their own ideas, though. The OP should take everything that doesn't come from official written statements with a pinch of salt.
Original post by Ronove
A lot of things seem to be 'just common sense' to applicants, but applicants are not university admissions tutors, and are therefore frequently wrong about these things (as are school staff who are in charge of dishing out advice).

I'm sure you think that resits would be a no-no for Medicine applicants as well, what with the insane competition (eg apparently ~60% of applicants getting no offers the first time round), and plenty of applicants spread this idea. But it's not true.

You are not an admissions tutor. You do not know what makes most sense for a university.

From your link:

So how does that fit with you saying that admissions tutors from both Oxford and Cambridge told you this? Not everyone has the right information. Doesn't stop them blabbing on about their own ideas, though. The OP should take everything that doesn't come from official written statements with a pinch of salt.

OP asked a simple question: Do unis prefer no resits? She did not ask whether she should apply or not, nor did I advise her on that. I merely answered her question, yes they PREFER no resits in the case of UCL. By no means did I say it was the be all and end all or try to discourage her.

Honesty is the best policy and if she would like an admissions tutor's opinion, she is free to contact one. No need to get upset over it.
Reply 11
OP asked a simple question: Do unis prefer no resits? She did not ask whether she should apply or not, nor did I advise her on that. I merely answered her question, yes they PREFER no resits in the case of UCL. By no means did I say it was the be all and end all or try to discourage her.

Honesty is the best policy and if she would like an admissions tutor's opinion, she is free to contact one. No need to get upset over it.

You said:

We've already established that your information about at least Oxford is highly questionable. Why should the OP believe you on the other counts?

That is my point. If UCL has an aversion to resits that you know of, support it with a link to UCL's website. It is likely very easy to find, if it is true. If you just post random unsubstantiated claims all over the place, your advice isn't worth reading. Especially when you so clearly demonstrate that you think a response to me asking you to provide your source is in any way served by you explaining why you think it would be a reasonable or logical policy for them to have.

A lot of hypothetical things could be deemed reasonable or logical. That doesn't make them the case.
Original post by Ronove
You said:

We've already established that your information about at least Oxford is highly questionable. Why should the OP believe you on the other counts?

That is my point. If UCL has an aversion to resits that you know of, support it with a link to UCL's website. It is likely very easy to find, if it is true. If you just post random unsubstantiated claims all over the place, your advice isn't worth reading. Especially when you so clearly demonstrate that you think a response to me asking you to provide your source is in any way served by you explaining why you think it would be a reasonable or logical policy for them to have.

A lot of hypothetical things could be deemed reasonable or logical. That doesn't make them the case.

How is it highly questionable? This isn't a contest, and if it were, I could easily interrogate you on why you deem it a "myth" and how valid your claims are.

The article I posted mentioned a large range of universities including Oxbridge and UCL, as matter of fact. How are my claims unsubstantiated and random? Anyone answering OP's question could offer an opinion that opposes your notion, whether with personal experiences or with articles and you would still pick holes in whatever they said as you seem hell-bent on proving that your own opinion is the only opinion.

You asked about my sources, I provided and explained them, AS WELL AS a statement about common sense on offers. OP can easily contact admissions and see for herself, and perhaps if you're open to any opinion other than your own, you can do your own research. I will leave it there as I'm not interested in having a discussion with a brick wall.
Reply 13
Thank you very much to both , I will do deeper research and inform you on it. I just wish they take me on UCL, I will apply anyway thank you <3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending