The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

UoM Online Assessment

Evening all.

Has anyone done the online assessment for English/American Studies/Creative Writing, or any of the other subjects?

How did you find it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bumpity.

If anyone *is* doing this, turns out they are hoping to have results back by 1st November...
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Where did you here that?! (panicking slightly at my lack of response from them!)
Reply 3
Original post by wossyboy
Where did you here that?! (panicking slightly at my lack of response from them!)

I submitted the online assessment & never received a confirmation email so followed it up, then got a message from the admin office saying they will contact us after 1st November. They must be doing the results in batches. Have you done your online assessment?
Reply 4
Original post by TwoLimes
I submitted the online assessment & never received a confirmation email so followed it up, then got a message from the admin office saying they will contact us after 1st November. They must be doing the results in batches. Have you done your online assessment?

I haven't been sent any information on it yet, other than a generic acknowledgement of my application. :s-smilie: How long did it take until they invited you to submit your online assessment?
Reply 5
I haven't been sent any information on it yet, other than a generic acknowledgement of my application. :s-smilie: How long did it take until they invited you to submit your online assessment?

Ohh ok sorry I misunderstood. Mine went in at the start of September, so maybe that has something to do with it? Took them about a month before I got the online assessment email.

Edit - I'm also a mature student, maybe that had something to do with it too?
Reply 6
Ohh ok sorry I misunderstood. Mine went in at the start of September, so maybe that has something to do with it? Took them about a month before I got the online assessment email.

Edit - I'm also a mature student, maybe that had something to do with it too?

Ahh okay you are one of the eager ones! I sent my application off two weeks ago, so that calms my nerves a little.
Do you mind me asking about the nature of the online assessment? (Not asking for specific detail - don't want any kind of unfair advantage!)
Reply 7
Ahh okay you are one of the eager ones! I sent my application off two weeks ago, so that calms my nerves a little.
Do you mind me asking about the nature of the online assessment? (Not asking for specific detail - don't want any kind of unfair advantage!)

Sure, I'll just say the same that the other threads from a couple of years back say :wink: it's pretty much why you want to go there, any commitments you have to the subject, and then a quick answer to an unseen text.

I pulled this from the thread a couple of years ago, i think I came from the UoM website but it's changed slightly, but different this year (although the course website seems to have gone a bit tits up, or is that just for me??) ;

"Applicants provide fairly short answers to a series of questions, designed to determine an applicant's aptitude and the extent to which there is a match between their interests and our ethos. We ask applicants to explain why they want to study at Manchester and to give evidence of their interest in, and commitment to, their chosen subject. We also ask them to select a short literary extract and tell us what interests them about it. We allow 10 days for completion of the assessment, so this is not a time-pressured exercise and students are able to think carefully about their responses. The exercise will be assessed alongside the Personal Statement and Reference; decisions will then be made accordingly, as to whether a place is offered."

Out of interest what course is it you're applying for?
Reply 8
Out of interest what course is it you're applying for?

Thank you that is super helpful! English with Creative Writing :smile:
Which poem did you decide to analyse if you don't mind me asking?
Or should I say extract since there was extracts from novels too
Reply 11
I think they vary between course application, I did the Gary Snyder one, which did you go to?
Ah right maybe. I did 'When I Went To The Film' by D.H. Lawrence
But I'm applying just for english Literature so the options you got probably differed from mine
Reply 14
Yeah, that's a possibility. What day did they say you would hear back by?
They didn't mention a date -_-. Hopefully we hear back by next week
Hey, thanks for directing me to this thread! I applied on the 9th October but haven't received anything yet. Still, it hasn't been a month yet so...I would just like to get it over with and not have that thought at the back of my head:smile:) I applied to English Lit
You should probably hear back soon. My application was sent off in later September and I heard back after about 2 or 3 weeks
I'm an EU student I already got an offer for English Literature... I didn't have to do UoM online assessment, it's a bit strange though that they didn't ask me...
Original post by barbarabc
I'm an EU student I already got an offer for English Literature... I didn't have to do UoM online assessment, it's a bit strange though that they didn't ask me...

I'm also an EU student, but I was fairly convinced that we still had to submit the online assessment. Anyway, congratulations on your offer! When did you apply and how long did it take to hear back from them, if you don't mind me asking :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest