The Student Room Group

How can I increase my chances

I am studying Mechanical engineering. I have always had the intention to go into investment banking as a career, the reason I decided to study engineering rather than a finance degree was to try stand out with the large amounts of maths/physics involved and to get a degree in engineering in my opinion is more impressive than the majority of other degrees. I thought this would help increase my chances? However as it isn't a finance degree I am at a slight disadvantage. I would appreciate any advice for what actions I should take (I am in my first year). I currently am trying to find out if I am eligible to use my optional industrial year placement in a finance career/investment banking but I think if I do decide on an industrial year it will have to be an engineering placement in which case I would not take it as it would be a waste of time, but I am not too sure on whether you can use industrial placements for jobs irrelevant to your course?
So to summarize is there anything I can do to increase my chances to gain an internship/full time job? I am thinking of possibly joining the economics 'society'. I'll appreciate and take in all the advise I can get!
Hey,

Here are a few thoughts:

1. Join Economics/Investment/Trading societies at your university, and, ideally, run for leadership positions. While being a member of a society could help you to learn more about finance, network and learn about new opportunities in this space, being a member of a committee will not only show your determination for the career, but also may serve as a credible experience to talk about in your interviews.

2. Attend employers' career events, careers' fairs, presentations and workshops. Not only those will help you to learn about different opportunities in banking and finance, but could also help you to network your way into interviews.

3. If you haven't secured an internship in your first year, you may look into getting an unpaid internship/shadowing type of role in smaller boutique investment banks to see for yourself if investment banking is for you

4. There are also plenty of resources online (wikijobs, mergers and inquisitions, globalbankingtraining, etc.) for you to learn about the investment banking career, develop relevant skills (i.e. excel modelling skills), and get some hints and tips on your cover letters/CV/interviews.

5. Try to network as much as you can - reach out to family friends, meet new people through university societies, attend insight days. You can also contact your University's alumni association to see if there are any alumni who are working at a bank that you are interested in, and ask them to put you in touch, so you can learn more about it, and get some helpful insights.

6. Stay up to date with what's going on in the industry. Read FT, Economist, Wall Street Journal, but also look into reading something less mainstream like themarketmogul.com, seekingalpha or fool.co.uk to develop your own opinion on the market events.

7. You can also apply to become an Analyst on the websites like themarketmogul.com and seekingalpha to write articles about equities, fixed income, forex, or economic analysis to create portfolios of articles and following, which you can then leverage in your interviews

Hope this helps
Original post by EmmanuelVitto
Hey,

Here are a few thoughts:

1. Join Economics/Investment/Trading societies at your university, and, ideally, run for leadership positions. While being a member of a society could help you to learn more about finance, network and learn about new opportunities in this space, being a member of a committee will not only show your determination for the career, but also may serve as a credible experience to talk about in your interviews.

2. Attend employers' career events, careers' fairs, presentations and workshops. Not only those will help you to learn about different opportunities in banking and finance, but could also help you to network your way into interviews.

3. If you haven't secured an internship in your first year, you may look into getting an unpaid internship/shadowing type of role in smaller boutique investment banks to see for yourself if investment banking is for you

4. There are also plenty of resources online (wikijobs, mergers and inquisitions, globalbankingtraining, etc.) for you to learn about the investment banking career, develop relevant skills (i.e. excel modelling skills), and get some hints and tips on your cover letters/CV/interviews.

5. Try to network as much as you can - reach out to family friends, meet new people through university societies, attend insight days. You can also contact your University's alumni association to see if there are any alumni who are working at a bank that you are interested in, and ask them to put you in touch, so you can learn more about it, and get some helpful insights.

6. Stay up to date with what's going on in the industry. Read FT, Economist, Wall Street Journal, but also look into reading something less mainstream like themarketmogul.com, seekingalpha or fool.co.uk to develop your own opinion on the market events.

7. You can also apply to become an Analyst on the websites like themarketmogul.com and seekingalpha to write articles about equities, fixed income, forex, or economic analysis to create portfolios of articles and following, which you can then leverage in your interviews

Hope this helps

Best advice ever!
Reply 3
Thank you! I could not have asked for better advice, I'll be looking to do all of that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending