The Student Room Group

Where to study atmospheric science?

I'm currently doing a bachelor degree in atmospheric science in Brazil and have no plans to transfer abroad. What places in the world are good to seek for a postgrad in atmospheric science?

My limited knowledge tells me that a lot of textbooks on atmospheric science are published by Cambridge. So Cambridge shines in atmospheric science, no?

Judging by how US is the place where tornadoes and hurricanes strike many times per year, it should be natural to think that there are leading research centers in atmospheric science as well.

No idea about Asia. But Japan, Singapoure, Taiwan, are affected by hurricanes many times per year too. Earth simulator project comes to my mind as a striking reference there. The main problem would be the language with a step learning curve.
(edited 9 years ago)
You pretty much have 4 choices, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Manchester or Leeds. At least from my preliminary google search these are the only unis that have centres for atmospheric science.

In the US, I saw that Georgia Tech popped up, they likely have a good program.

http://www.atmos.illinois.edu/careers/academic.html Great resource lists all the US and Canadian unis with atmospheric science programs.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
You can opt for Cornell University, University of California, University of Oklahoma they have a very nice program.
Reply 3
When you say postgrad, are you thinking of a Masters or PhD? I am currently doing a PhD in climatology in the UK and there are quite a lot of options for PhDs. Reading, Leeds, UEA, Exeter and Manchester are the top places in the UK really. As for Masters course, I don't know whether these are offered at the universities I just listed, but that would be my starting point. It does depend on your interests. I suggest you search for meteorology rather than just atmospheric science. Reading has the best Meteorology department in the country (I did my undergraduate degree there).

Cambridge is just a publisher for those books - as far as I am aware they don't have atmospheric science courses at Cambridge university.

As for other countries around the world, I am sure you could pick any country and they will have a department somewhere that offers what you are after. The University of Oklahoma is very good (I did an exchange year there). I also have friends in Australia doing PhDs (Sydney and Monash). Hamburg University in Germany also has a department.

By the time you get to postgraduate level, I would expect most courses to be taught in English, but do your research.
Reply 4
It's too early to know the answer to this question. From what I know, I'll have to decide between:

- Physical meteorology
- Dynamical meteorology
- Biometeorology
- Agrometeorology
- Atmospheric chemistry
- Climatology
- Computer modelling
- Remote sensing
- Synoptics
- Hydrometeorology
- Atmospheric electricity
- Micrometeorology
- Observation and Meteorological instrumentation

Or, if I mathematics or physics catch my attention really hard, I could even be seeking something in applied maths or physics. I've heard that some students don't go work with meteorology and instead, find something related to statistics or computing.
In the sky?
Reply 6
How much longer have you got to go in your Bachelors? Once you are nearing the end, you tend to have a feeling of what direction you are interested in going towards. That said, you aren't completed fixed in one subfield for the rest of your career! The best thing to do is to develop a variety of skills that mean you are able to choose from a range of job options later on.

Important skills would be: presentations and public speaking, scientific writing, programming, some statistics (particularly working with large datasets). Pretty much all of the subfields will use these skills in some way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending