The Student Room Group

Colleges that wear gowns for formal hall - question about gowns for guests

Hi guys,

I know there is a lot of information out there about formal gowns etc. but I have some questions I haven't seen answered elsewhere.

I know that guests are not 'expected' to wear gowns for formal dinners if they are not Cambridge students, but is there any rule at any college that specifically says that visiting students may not wear gowns at all?

I'm visiting a friend in Pembroke for formal and would ideally like to wear the gown from where I got my BA (York - where we have grey gowns). However I don't know if there is a rule for any colleges that this might not be allowed and I would have to wear a Cambridge MA status gown instead. Or would I be better just not to bother? I really would like to look the part though and wear some sort of academic dress, but I'm not sure how much emphasis is placed on correctness/fitting in, or if it's not my place as a guest to worry about that sort of thing.

Hope this made some sort of sense, thanks in advance!
Wear it and rep the Uni of York crew. :cool:
Reply 2
Either wear the York gown, or don't wear one. It's really not a huge deal -- Some students even remove their gowns during dinner (though most wear it through the end).

:smile:
I agree with those who say certainly don't wear the wrong gown (that is, one to which you're not entitled) I visited formal at Pembroke and there were a few different gowns as well as a few people in suit jackets and blazers (including myself, no undergrad gowning at Bath, sad face)
Reply 4
Cheers guys for your input! I had just heard that some places were super picky about this sort of thing, although understandably most of the info out there is regarding if you're actually studying at the institution in question.

I think it is a massive shame that most places only ever have gowns for graduation, at least in some universities you get to wear them more often, even every day at St Andrews! Everyone looks awesome in a gown. But I guess we've moved on too far for that now :frown:

Would be interesting to know what other places do wear them at other times, I guess there aren't many others
Reply 5
Original post by TroyAndAbed
Wear it and rep the Uni of York crew. :cool:

Woop woop :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending