The Student Room Group

Meeting someone online through bebo/myspace ...

Hey guys, this is my first post!

Basically, I have been browsing on one of these sites and have come across someone's page who i really like the look of - she goes to a school very near me. I've got no problems when talking to girls normally it's just that I don't want to come across as being wierd and some internet perv!

How would you suggest I approach her? I'm not one of those people who goes on these sites and just writes "oy babe - u iz lyk well fit msg back"! so any thoughts would be much appreciated.

THANK YOU :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would send her a message about something fairly innocuous but still interesting. Something she might get excited to respond to, but nothing that would make her think you're making a move on her. Basically, try and find some common ground. Ask her what the best places to go out near her are, find something on her profile like her music taste and ask her a question about it, ask her if she feels guilty after strangling hookers, something quite laid back.
Reply 2
so you...don't actually know this girl, you just found her on bebo?
and now you want to strike up a relationship somehow?

that's...nice.
mermania
so you...don't actually know this girl, you just found her on bebo?
and now you want to strike up a relationship somehow?

that's...nice.

Different folks, different strokes.
Reply 4
Lady Stardust
Different folks, different strokes.

Whatcha talkin' 'bout, Lady Stardust?
Mr.God
Whatcha talkin' 'bout, Lady Stardust?

Haha Legend!

Plus he didn't state he wanted a relationship straight away. By the looks of things, it seems that he wants to get to know her and then possibly meet her, possibly.
Reply 6
Lady Stardust
Haha Legend!

Plus he didn't state he wanted a relationship straight away. By the looks of things, it seems that he wants to get to know her and then possibly meet her, possibly.

It would be rather ludicrous to jump into a relationship with someone you haven't even met.
Mr.God
It would be rather ludicrous to jump into a relationship with someone you haven't even met.

Exactly, but that mermania person thinks the OP does want to.
Reply 8
I don't mean a "relationship" relationship, I just mean some kind of relationship.
Under any circumstances most people are going to find it creepy when a complete stranger sends them a message for no apparent reason.
mermania
I don't mean a "relationship" relationship, I just mean some kind of relationship.
Under any circumstances most people are going to find it creepy when a complete stranger sends them a message for no apparent reason.

Not really, under the new cult of Myspace and Bebo etc, I'm sure most people don't find it creepy or strange at all. It would be boring to only talk to people you knew or, friends of friends. Plus, he's contacting her to get to know her and have a nice conversation.
Reply 10
Lady Stardust
Not really, under the new cult of Myspace and Bebo etc, I'm sure most people don't find it creepy or strange at all. It would be boring to only talk to people you knew or, friends of friends. Plus, he's contacting her to get to know her and have a nice conversation.

Yeah, initially i only want to contact her to get her msn address etc, but it's just the first message i'm not sure about!
Reply 11
Well, do you have any common interests? Or is it that she is fairly fit and lives quite near so it'll be a convenient lay?
Reply 12
Well, do you have any common interests? Or is it that she is fairly fit and lives quite near so it'll be a convenient lay?

Yes, she is fit. Yes she does live (or at least go to school) near. Obviously they are factors ... why would i try and talk to someone on the other side of the country?

She is in the year below me. She has an amazing taste in music/films etc.
Reply 13
Anonymous
She is in the year below me. She has an amazing taste in music/films etc.

There's your in.
Reply 14
Anonymous
Yeah, initially i only want to contact her to get her msn address etc, but it's just the first message i'm not sure about!

dont ask her for her msn on the first message. i get messages on myspace like this all the time and just assume theyr pervy guys who have sent the same message to 7653746537456 other girls too in hope a few stupid ones reply.if u want her to reply try and mention some stuff thats on her profile so she knows u arent one of those people and are actually worth replying to
Reply 15
Mr.God
There's your in.

Yeah, but isn't that a bit wierd just posting a msg going "wow you have an excellent taste in music. Please add me to msn!"? I guess it may work!!
Reply 16
try "you have excellent taste in music, have you ever seen 'x' live? i've heard they're awesome!"

or "you like great music, I hope you like phil collins too"
Reply 17
Anonymous
Yeah, but isn't that a bit wierd just posting a msg going "wow you have an excellent taste in music. Please add me to msn!"? I guess it may work!!

Maybe you should try sending a few messages to each other on Myspace before you go straight for the MSN handle.
if one of them is the libertines you could say

i like the cut of your j-i-b!

get it!

campaign of hate!
Reply 19
Try and be a little bit less full on than that! And please no cheesy song lyric related chat up lines, even if it is from the libertines.

Latest

Trending

Trending