The Student Room Group

Is A-Level Law pointless?

Hi, i'm jw.... I mean alot of people who want to go into Law don't study Law at A-Level?

I'm not thinking of taking it but yeah
Reply 1
some unis frown upon as law
I wouldn't bother taking it if i were you, because universities tend to like more traditional subjects like English and History if you are thinking of studying law. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Meandering_Lava
I wouldn't bother taking it if i were you, because universities tend to like more traditional subjects like English and History if you are thinking of studying law. :smile:

I'm not i'm just noticing alot of people who want to read Law don't take as Law?

I'm just wondering why?
Reply 4
Original post by kelefi
some unis frown upon as law

But why?
Original post by elmosandy
I'm not i'm just noticing alot of people who want to read Law don't take as Law?

I'm just wondering why?

The clear view taken here in Cambridge on Law at A-level is a 'neutral' one. So taking Law as an A-level subject does not put students at a disadvantage for admission to read Law at Cambridge, nor does it provide an advantage.' - Cambridge

The people that do it are far less likely to drop out during the course of their studies because they know what studying Law is like. That said, students do not need to have studied A-level Law in order to undertake our LLB.'- University of Surrey

However UCL and LSE have put Law A levels on their non- prefered subjects list.

If you do A level Law , you may get bored in the first year as the content would most likely be very similar. Some say that it is a waste of time as it isn't required to take the subject at A level to be able to study it at University.
But why?

Because it's a soft subject.
Reply 7
Original post by Meandering_Lava
The clear view taken here in Cambridge on Law at A-level is a 'neutral' one. So taking Law as an A-level subject does not put students at a disadvantage for admission to read Law at Cambridge, nor does it provide an advantage.' - Cambridge

The people that do it are far less likely to drop out during the course of their studies because they know what studying Law is like. That said, students do not need to have studied A-level Law in order to undertake our LLB.'- University of Surrey

However UCL and LSE have put Law A levels on their non- prefered subjects list.

If you do A level Law , you may get bored in the first year as the content would most likely be very similar. Some say that it is a waste of time as it isn't required to take the subject at A level to be able to study it at University.

But they could say that for Science, Humanties and all of the Degrees so what if I study Latin A-Level i'll know what its like and get bored and drop out of a Latin/Classics Degree?..
Reply 8
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Because it's a soft subject.

But wouldn't studying Law at A-Level and getting a good grade in it be an indicator of how well you're going to do in your Degree? and doesn't having Law A-Level teach you more about the Law anyway???
But wouldn't studying Law at A-Level and getting a good grade in it be an indicator of how well you're going to do in your Degree? and doesn't having Law A-Level teach you more about the Law anyway???

No, A-Level is nothing like degree.

Cambridge meticulously examine how A-Level performance relates to Tripos performance. If there was a positive correlation between A-Level law performance and general law performance, they would recommend that people took it.

Although I've not studied A-Level law myself, if it's anything like other soft A-Levels it's probably just memorisation. You need to memorise things for Law, but any subject can demonstrate an ability to do that, so Law is nothing special.
Reply 10
Original post by tomfailinghelp
No, A-Level is nothing like degree.

Cambridge meticulously examine how A-Level performance relates to Tripos performance. If there was a positive correlation between A-Level law performance and general law performance, they would recommend that people took it.

Although I've not studied A-Level law myself, if it's anything like other soft A-Levels it's probably just memorisation. You need to memorise things for Law, but any subject can demonstrate an ability to do that, so Law is nothing special.

Tripos Performance???

and wb Science A-Levels and Degrees is there a positive correlation between them there?
Tripos Performance???

and wb Science A-Levels and Degrees is there a positive correlation between them there?

Thats just what Cambridge courses are called.

Yes because Science degrees require reasonably advanced prior knowledge in the field to be understood. Law degrees don't. Besides, even if Law A-Level wasn't soft, it would be teaching the same stuff as the Law degree was. There is obviously no use in learning the contents of a degree before you do it.
Not "pointless", but most universities would prefer you to have facilitating subjects instead. You'll learn about law at university, they want you to have the foundation skills.

Quick Reply

Latest