The Student Room Group

University entertainment setup

Ok so i dont know if it is in the right place ,If its not if anyone could move it to the right place?

So im going to uni next year and looking at what im going to be taking there for entertainment / work in terms of Technology (As i will have to buy it)

So in your cases , Whats do you have in your uni room? , Is it just a laptop or a TV etc?.

Im going to need a computer for my work anyway so im not sure wethor to get a cheap (ish) Laptop and Desktop with monitor (Id much prefer working on a desktop , but need a laptop for portability) but im not sure if i could get that for like £1500 or (Preferably) under that.

Or im wondering if i should buy a decent laptop for portability but then buy a monitor and then i could dual screen + have a fixed setup in the room.

Then im not sure wethor to take a TV , I wouldent because i can watch everything on the laptop and im not looking to be sitting in my room all day watching TV / playing games or w/e but then i have the xbox one so if i dont take a TV then i will have to leave my xbox one behind and its kind of a waste.I have a 42" tv so obviosuly cant take that to uni , If i had a 19" or simular i would probbally take it , So maybe swap the 42" one for a smaller one?

Any ideas or any of your uni setups so i can get a idea of what to take / buy would be great.
Just a laptop, a bed, a caluclator, a workbook and some tissue.
Original post by JLG16
Ok so i dont know if it is in the right place ,If its not if anyone could move it to the right place?

So im going to uni next year and looking at what im going to be taking there for entertainment / work in terms of Technology (As i will have to buy it)

So in your cases , Whats do you have in your uni room? , Is it just a laptop or a TV etc?.

Im going to need a computer for my work anyway so im not sure wethor to get a cheap (ish) Laptop and Desktop with monitor (Id much prefer working on a desktop , but need a laptop for portability) but im not sure if i could get that for like £1500 or (Preferably) under that.

Or im wondering if i should buy a decent laptop for portability but then buy a monitor and then i could dual screen + have a fixed setup in the room.

Then im not sure wethor to take a TV , I wouldent because i can watch everything on the laptop and im not looking to be sitting in my room all day watching TV / playing games or w/e but then i have the xbox one so if i dont take a TV then i will have to leave my xbox one behind and its kind of a waste.I have a 42" tv so obviosuly cant take that to uni , If i had a 19" or simular i would probbally take it , So maybe swap the 42" one for a smaller one?

Any ideas or any of your uni setups so i can get a idea of what to take / buy would be great.

I recommend a good laptop and monitor. As for tv I would say don't bring one. I thought I would want one but you get used to not having it really quickly and they are a distraction. Also our common rooms had play stations and xboxes and stuff so I don't think bringing one would be of any use.

I'd sell your tv and Xbox and put it to funding the 3 most expensive years of your life lol or save it for a treat or something. I promise you won't miss it.
Reply 3
Took a desktop and nothing else. I used PCs on campus when I needed to go do work. Generally only bothered watching iplayer or other TV stuff I already had rather than an actual TV. I gamed on my desktop so no consoles, although a couple of flat mates brought their Xbox/PS as they only had macbook type things.

I certainly wouldn't bother with the TV, there's plenty to do before that.
Reply 4
Original post by Nymthae
Took a desktop and nothing else. I used PCs on campus when I needed to go do work. Generally only bothered watching iplayer or other TV stuff I already had rather than an actual TV. I gamed on my desktop so no consoles, although a couple of flat mates brought their Xbox/PS as they only had macbook type things.

I certainly wouldn't bother with the TV, there's plenty to do before that.

Ok thanks all , Like i said the laptop or computer is needed for work , Watching movies etc and the only reason i wanted a TV is because the console would be a waste otherwise , Maybe ill follow the advice above and sell the TV and xbox if there going for a decent price and that could help fund the computer or laptop.
Reply 5
I had a laptop, and then a small TV and console.
Just get a laptop, honestly a £700 laptop nowadays will last you a good couple of years, even if you use it to play games. Maybe get a cheap tablet as those can be useful to have lecture slides and tutorial questions up without printing them out and it's a bit more compact than a laptop. I'd say wait a few weeks and you might be able to organise buying a TV with your flatmates if you feel it would be much better than just watching on your laptop.
Reply 7
I bought a Retina MacBook Pro, and a monitor. It works out well - portable enough to take the laptop to lectures if needed, and when I'm back in my room I've got loads of screen real-estate. I wouldn't advise having both a desktop and a laptop - just get the best laptop you can, and focus on weight and size if possible - you don't want to be carrying around a super heavy 17" Gaming laptop!
Reply 8
Original post by MTennison
I bought a Retina MacBook Pro, and a monitor. It works out well - portable enough to take the laptop to lectures if needed, and when I'm back in my room I've got loads of screen real-estate. I wouldn't advise having both a desktop and a laptop - just get the best laptop you can, and focus on weight and size if possible - you don't want to be carrying around a super heavy 17" Gaming laptop!

Only just seen this , This would be perfect as ive been told i need a Macbook but can Macbooks connect to standard monitors or does it have to be the apple monitors as they are expensive aren't they?
Reply 9
Original post by JLG16
Only just seen this , This would be perfect as ive been told i need a Macbook but can Macbooks connect to standard monitors or does it have to be the apple monitors as they are expensive aren't they?

You can connect a rMBP to any monitor that has a HDMI or DVI port, provided you buy the right cable (check eBay, you shouldn't pay more than £5 for a HDMI to DVI or HDMI to HDMI cable).

DVI is the white one in the picture above.

Macbook Airs will need a special adapter to connect them to a monitor.

D
Original post by MTennison
You can connect a rMBP to any monitor that has a HDMI or DVI port, provided you buy the right cable (check eBay, you shouldn't pay more than £5 for a HDMI to DVI or HDMI to HDMI cable).

DVI is the white one in the picture above.

Macbook Airs will need a special adapter to connect them to a monitor.

D

I'd hardly a call a DVI to Mini Display adaptor "special". That's my gripe with the air, with the Pro you can power a display with either Thunderbolt, Mini Display or HDMI.
I have a desktop with all the trimmings and a phone. Common areas have TV's with freeview.

Not sure why people buy laptops which are of inferior value to desktops, especially when people seem to take to the library anyway which is full of computers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending