The Student Room Group

Why are stories about abusive relationships so popular?

I read about this book series hitting the shelves soon - After, by Anna Todd. Apparently it's a One Direction fanfic, though for the official release names will be changed. From the reviews, I gather that it's about a sweet and innocent (they always are sweet and innocent virgins for some reason) university student who falls in love with an abusive jerk who keeps putting her down and messing her around. She, of course, thinks she can "fix" him.

It reminds me of Twilight - creepy stalker who has to fight the urge to kill his girlfriend, then abandons her "for her own good", yet berates her upon return for believing what he said when he broke up with her. Or 50 Shades - controlling stalker who can't have a relationship without a contract that will turn her into his submissive.

Why are such stories so popular? :confused: The After series boasts 1 billion (online) reads and Twilight and 50 Shades did pretty well. Since when did abusive, unhealthy relationship = the height of romance? What's wrong with stories about genuinely good guys? Just because a kind, considerate guy won't call you pathetic, leave you crying in a corner and make you feel miserable all the time, doesn't mean that a relationship with them can't be passionate and fulfilling... It baffles me, really.
(edited 9 years ago)
Was the pun intentional?
Reply 2
Original post by Kool_Panda
Was the pun intentional?

No :colondollar:. I'll go change it in case it looks insensitive.
Unintentional, but shamelessly enjoyed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending