The Student Room Group

Feeling very very down.. Not sure how much longer I can take. :/

Hey guys,
basically I'm a sufferer of PTSD... Right now I'm finding it extremely hard to cope and I'm getting closer and closer to self harm..
Despite not self harming in 4 years I feel like I can't help it anymore, I'm just so lonely..
I realised, even though I have a boyfriend (literally the best thing to of ever happened to me).. Whenever I'm not speaking to him. No-one does, even my family.. It's only him that talks to me/wants to talk to me.

I'm only just realising this and my mind's taking this really hard, I'm overthinking, getting angry, shaking, throwing tantrums, kicking and punching things.. I'm literally tearing my hair out not knowing what to do..

I feel like I'm getting closer to a proper nervous breakdown.. I'm getting so angry I'm finding it much harder to control myself :/ I've had this condition for over 10 years and I do get counselling for it.. I just need to escape and I can't.. I just feel so trapped... I feel like I'm in a cycle.

I've never felt as depressed as I have over the past few weeks... I really don't know what to do..

Is there anyone on here willing to hand out some advice.. support? I'd appreiciate anything..
Thank you
Go talk to your GP, get some counselling, have you talked to your boyfriend about it?
Original post by Lawrence1234
Go talk to your GP, get some counselling, have you talked to your boyfriend about it?

My GP referred me to get counselling with the hospital's health board and so I get "regular" counselling but whenever I don't get it I just feel low and helpless..
My boyfriend knows about it yes but there's not much he can do as he goes to university miles away from where I live, he tries his best though and he does make me happy :smile:
Original post by xxhannahlouisexx
Hey guys,
basically I'm a sufferer of PTSD... Right now I'm finding it extremely hard to cope and I'm getting closer and closer to self harm..
Despite not self harming in 4 years I feel like I can't help it anymore, I'm just so lonely..
I realised, even though I have a boyfriend (literally the best thing to of ever happened to me).. Whenever I'm not speaking to him. No-one does, even my family.. It's only him that talks to me/wants to talk to me.

I'm only just realising this and my mind's taking this really hard, I'm overthinking, getting angry, shaking, throwing tantrums, kicking and punching things.. I'm literally tearing my hair out not knowing what to do..

I feel like I'm getting closer to a proper nervous breakdown.. I'm getting so angry I'm finding it much harder to control myself :/ I've had this condition for over 10 years and I do get counselling for it.. I just need to escape and I can't.. I just feel so trapped... I feel like I'm in a cycle.

I've never felt as depressed as I have over the past few weeks... I really don't know what to do..

Is there anyone on here willing to hand out some advice.. support? I'd appreiciate anything..
Thank you

I don't know your circumstances but things do tend to improve.
Keep at it! :smile:

If you want to talk about anything, I'm happy to spare my time.
Original post by hellodave5
I don't know your circumstances but things do tend to improve.
Keep at it! :smile:

If you want to talk about anything, I'm happy to spare my time.

Thank you so much for the kind offer, I have improved since last week but things are still very much up and down.
I go through these phases of depression quite a lot, mood swings are definitely on the cards a lot too.
But all that matters is that right now I'm doing OK, thank you so much though.
I'll definitely give you some rep and a follow :-)
I feel for you hunny. Be kind to yourself, seek help when you need it as you are doing and keep talking. Some family's just do not know how to deal with things and that is their problem not yours.

it does get easier in time.....that is no comfort when things are bad I know. :hugs:
Thank you so much for the kind offer, I have improved since last week but things are still very much up and down.
I go through these phases of depression quite a lot, mood swings are definitely on the cards a lot too.
But all that matters is that right now I'm doing OK, thank you so much though.
I'll definitely give you some rep and a follow :-)

No problem at all. Happy to.

Just remember that things aren't always like they are now :smile:

Let me know if I can ever help at all!

How do you find the therapy, helps? Medication, despite what many say which is somewhat true (but still) can help control symptoms.
No problem at all. Happy to.

Just remember that things aren't always like they are now :smile:

Let me know if I can ever help at all!

How do you find the therapy, helps? Medication, despite what many say which is somewhat true (but still) can help control symptoms.

I hope it gets better, it's becoming impossible to live with! Thank you for being such a help :smile:
Yeah I guess, I get it kinda regularly, it's just hard when I haven't had it for a while. I'm trying to avoid medication but they're saying it's probably the best thing for me right now as everything else is failing :frown:
Medication by itself won't work, only when combined with regular counselling will it work.
I hope it gets better, it's becoming impossible to live with! Thank you for being such a help :smile:
Yeah I guess, I get it kinda regularly, it's just hard when I haven't had it for a while. I'm trying to avoid medication but they're saying it's probably the best thing for me right now as everything else is failing :frown:

I'm sure it will :smile:
Yeah, I know what you mean.

It's best to avoid it - but sometimes it's worth giving it a try if treatment of the route cause isn't helping enough (IMO).
I'm sure it will :smile:
Yeah, I know what you mean.

It's best to avoid it - but sometimes it's worth giving it a try if treatment of the route cause isn't helping enough (IMO).

My counsellor's definitely considering giving me some appointments with the psychiatrist, so I think she thinks it'll be best combined with the treatment I already get
Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest