The Student Room Group

Current NHS issues. Please help !!!

Hi
I have any interview coming up and I know they will ask me about current health issues or nursing issues. What do you think ? I was going to talk about the nhs strike, labour vowing to spend 2.5 billion to boost the nhs, and 120 million investment in tackling mental health. Do you think this will be the kind of thing they will expect me to talk about. Do you think I should mention the ebola crisis, pioneering one shot cancer treatment ? Also is it worth mentioning the 6cs National programme ? I am researching like mad, am I on the right track ? I feel overwhelmed with the information and don't want to go off on a tangent. Any advice will be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
First thing I'd think of would be the strikes
You need to read about the 6C's. My Uni based it's assessment last year (and probably this year) around meeting each C. Other Uni's will probably want you to know about the 6C's too, make sure you know enough to talk about it in an interview.

Make sure you know about the Francis Report (about the failings of Mid Staffordshire NHS Trust) which the 6C's was in response too.
(edited 9 years ago)
I would just advise reading the news!
Failing that, the above advise is useful.
And depending on what branch you are applying for, see if you can find news relevant to that. It shows enthusiasm and that you are serious about your field and what is happening currently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In reality, the 6 c's is a load of crap, but a lot of universities are basing their interviews and assessments around it all so it'd be wise to read up on it. As other have mentioned, the Francis report will have an impact on nursing and how we train our nurses in the future as will the Willis review that's currently ongoing. It's worthwhile buying something like the Nursing Standard to keep up to date on the current affairs within nursing and healthcare, you can get it form large newsagents like city centre WH Smiths.
Original post by moonkatt
In reality, the 6 c's is a load of crap, but a lot of universities are basing their interviews and assessments around it all so it'd be wise to read up on it. As other have mentioned, the Francis report will have an impact on nursing and how we train our nurses in the future as will the Willis review that's currently ongoing. It's worthwhile buying something like the Nursing Standard to keep up to date on the current affairs within nursing and healthcare, you can get it form large newsagents like city centre WH Smiths.

My assessment was based around it, but now I'm on the course I've heard mixed opinions from staff. Personally I think it's a bit patronizing and adds nothing substantive.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks for all your replies, I am really worried about which way I should take the conversation. :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Tracyann78
Hi
I have any interview coming up and I know they will ask me about current health issues or nursing issues. What do you think ? I was going to talk about the nhs strike, labour vowing to spend 2.5 billion to boost the nhs, and 120 million investment in tackling mental health. Do you think this will be the kind of thing they will expect me to talk about. Do you think I should mention the ebola crisis, pioneering one shot cancer treatment ? Also is it worth mentioning the 6cs National programme ? I am researching like mad, am I on the right track ? I feel overwhelmed with the information and don't want to go off on a tangent. Any advice will be greatly appreciated :smile:

I would perhaps spend less time talking with them about wider political issues, and a bit more time talking about some of the issues that nurses are encountering on a daily basis.

6C's are a start - Universities like that.

Next would be person centred care. Have an idea of what it means, how you can define it, and why it's important.

Dementia and how to meet the care needs of an ageing population is the other thing that I would try to talk about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending