The Student Room Group

I have no clue what course to choose?!!!

Hi Folks,
Right so my college Personal Statement/UCAS Deadline is this upcoming Thursday [23rd October] and I have no clue what course to choose and my tutor and parents are not being very helpful.

My decision is between Law or Events Management.

I've read in some places that Events Management is a 'Mickey Mouse Degree' and it's kind of putting me off a bit but then Law seems to be more costly in the long run [I'm interested in becoming a barrister].

I'm interested in both, like I adore attending gigs and similar stuff but I'm also really interested in Law - I've inquired at universities at combining the two of them but you don't actually finish with a degree at the end of three years and then have to find an extra £9,000 to do a fourth year :frown:

So yeah, I was just wondering if anybody could give me any advice a.s.a.p.?
Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Okay so if Event Management is off the list, what about a law dual field course? Law and XXX? Maybe one of your other A Level subjects?
Original post by Spud97
Hi Folks,
Right so my college Personal Statement/UCAS Deadline is this upcoming Thursday [23rd October] and I have no clue what course to choose and my tutor and parents are not being very helpful.

My decision is between Law or Events Management.

I've read in some places that Events Management is a 'Mickey Mouse Degree' and it's kind of putting me off a bit but then Law seems to be more costly in the long run [I'm interested in becoming a barrister].

I'm interested in both, like I adore attending gigs and similar stuff but I'm also really interested in Law - I've inquired at universities at combining the two of them but you don't actually finish with a degree at the end of three years and then have to find an extra £9,000 to do a fourth year :frown:

So yeah, I was just wondering if anybody could give me any advice a.s.a.p.?
Thanks in advance :biggrin:

If you haven't made up your mind yet then do not let your college pressure you into applying yet. Their internal deadline is just that, internal, and while they can try to get everybody to apply before that there is nothing they can do if you don't. At the end of the day you simply have to apply before the UCAS deadline.

So, what I would do is go to whoever handles the offers for your school on Monday, speak to them and tell them upfront that you don't know what you want to apply for yet, you haven't settled on either course or university choices and that you will not be ready to apply before the college deadline. The only reason why schools set an internal deadline is because they don't want to suddenly have a couple of hundred students submitting applications, all of which will require checking and referencing by the school, in the last few days before the UCAS deadline. No school is going to refuse to allow students to apply after their internal deadline, and no school will deliberately give you a bad reference or do anything to jeopardise your application if you submit it after their internal deadline.

So yeah, go and do that and then you've got another couple of months to have a proper think and settle on choices that you know are right for you.
If you don't know what to study, don't go to university until you do. It's a waste of your time and student loan entitlement if you make the wrong choice. Spend the year working to get some cash together for when you do know what you really want to do.
Personally, I think a degree in events management is a wasted opportunity. You will only get funding for one degree in your life, so you should make it count and study something that truly interests you. You can go to gigs and volunteer and do internships with events companies whatever degree you do, but this might be your only chance to study law. That said, you don't need to study law to become a barrister, however the law conversion course is expensive and with a non-academic degree like events management, you risk not being taken seriously by prospective employers.

If I were you, I would look closely at each degree specification, look carefully at the modules offered (these can usually be found on the department website), read the module descriptions and have a look at the reading list. Do the modules interest you and do you want to read those books? If the answer is no, don't apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending