The Student Room Group

Anyone considering 2016 entry for Medicine?

Scroll to see replies

GCSE's: 4.5A* 6A 1B
A-level subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, EPQ
Voluntary Work: Soon in a care home, currently organising
Work Experience:
9 weeks in a dentist (considered max fax for awhile) and soon to be some work exp with a gb/pathologist
Universities: If possible Cambridge(ill work my ass off), KCL, Newcastle, Glasgow

Targets for A2:
Biology- A*
Chem-A
Physics-A/A*
Maths- A*
EPQ-A
Do i stand a chance?
I'm a Belgian student considering studying medicine in the UK.

We don't have A-levels in my school system, however my grades are 80-85% for Physics, 90% for Chemistry, 95% for Biology and 75% for Maths.
I have 'worked' at a dermatologist and a surgeon for a couple of weeks and I'm planning on doing some voluntary work this year.
Universities: Oxford, St. Andrews, Edinburgh. I'm not sure about my fourth choice since apparently not all unis accept Belgian students.

Hopefully those universities will consider my application because I will have enrolled in a Belgian medicine course at that time. So far only Edinburgh has mailed me saying that it could be to my disadvantage.
Original post by FlorenceV
I'm a Belgian student considering studying medicine in the UK.

We don't have A-levels in my school system, however my grades are 80-85% for Physics, 90% for Chemistry, 95% for Biology and 75% for Maths.
I have 'worked' at a dermatologist and a surgeon for a couple of weeks and I'm planning on doing some voluntary work this year.
Universities: Oxford, St. Andrews, Edinburgh. I'm not sure about my fourth choice since apparently not all unis accept Belgian students.

Hopefully those universities will consider my application because I will have enrolled in a Belgian medicine course at that time. So far only Edinburgh has mailed me saying that it could be to my disadvantage.

UCL is a very good university for accepting international students. Have a look at this link:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/international

You should be ok with the application to UK universities. It would be unfair if they reject a bright student just because they are foreign.

Don't base your decision the TSR forum comments as some are made up. The best option would be to contact the admission office; either by e-mailing or calling.

Hope that helps.
Original post by dbeith
Work Experience:
9 weeks in a dentist (considered max fax for awhile) and soon to be some work exp with a gb/pathologist
Universities: If possible Cambridge(ill work my ass off), KCL, Newcastle, Glasgow

Targets for A2:
Biology- A*
Chem-A
Physics-A/A*
Maths- A*
EPQ-A
Do i stand a chance?

As long as you have 96% or above at your AS modules, and high BMAT, you will be ok as they do not look significantly at your GCSE.
Original post by SaadMuhammad
UCL is a very good university for accepting international students. Have a look at this link:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/international

You should be ok with the application to UK universities. It would be unfair if they reject a bright student just because they are foreign.

Don't base your decision the TSR forum comments as some are made up. The best option would be to contact the admission office; either by e-mailing or calling.

Hope that helps.

I find it very strange that you're recommending UCL to me. I personally had that university as one of my top choices, but they mailed me saying explicitly that they do not accept Belgian students because the school system does not meet their requirements.

A university that portrays itself as very international but refuses to accept an international student.... ?? It doesn't make sense to me.
Original post by FlorenceV
I find it very strange that you're recommending UCL to me. I personally had that university as one of my top choices, but they mailed me saying explicitly that they do not accept Belgian students because the school system does not meet their requirements.

A university that portrays itself as very international but refuses to accept an international student.... ?? It doesn't make sense to me.

You are right. That is very strange. What about Queen Mary:

http://www.qmul.ac.uk/international/international-students/countries//belgium/index.html

Unfair perhaps, but given the 7.5% international cap all universities are held to it happens all the time!

Fortunately this person will be exempt as they are from the EU.
Original post by Candyflossss
Hey I'm really hoping to do medicine at uni!

Stats - GCSE - 7A* 3A 1B 1C (In English Language 😒)

Be careful where you apply because some places require a B or higher in English GCSE :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are right. That is very strange. What about Queen Mary:

http://www.qmul.ac.uk/international/international-students/countries//belgium/index.html

I also considered that one, but when I wanted to look at the Belgian requirements, they too said that they don't accept students coming from that country.

The same goes for Imperial College and St. George's, as I mailed them as well.
Yeah, already given up my hope on going to a uni in London..

Unfortunately it's not only the London unis that have this criteria, but just check the prospectus before you apply to check that you are making a good choice. Alternatively, you could resit this GCSE, but again not all unis accept resits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tilds1997
Unfortunately it's not only the London unis that have this criteria, but just check the prospectus before you apply to check that you are making a good choice. Alternatively, you could resit this GCSE, but again not all unis accept resits.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've had a good look at all the entry requirements, my coursework dragged my grade down so I'll have to retake the whole thing which could consequently drag my AS grades down which I don't want to risk. I'm just going to focus on doing well and meeting other criteria well (PS , as grades, UKCAT etc. )
Thanks though x
Yeah I've had a good look at all the entry requirements, my coursework dragged my grade down so I'll have to retake the whole thing which could consequently drag my AS grades down which I don't want to risk. I'm just going to focus on doing well and meeting other criteria well (PS , as grades, UKCAT etc. )
Thanks though x

Good to see you have a plan, just though I'd let you know so you don't waste a precious option! I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dbeith
Work Experience:

Targets for A2:
Biology- A*
Chem-A
Physics-A/A*
Maths- A*
EPQ-A
Do i stand a chance?

Great to hear that you're thinking of applying to Newcastle! Our entry requirements for Medicine and Surgery MBBS are 3 A's at A2 :smile: You can find a full list of entry requirements here http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/a100/entryrequirements/ and our Medical School have more information about their admissions process and policy here http://www.ncl.ac.uk/mbbs/admissions/

Hope that helps :smile:
Persephone
Reply 433
Hiya, it's really cool to find out about people hoping to do the same thing as me :smile:

Current stats: 8A*, 3A, 1C and an A in Additional Maths ((I also have exceptional circumstances))
A level Options: Bio, Chem, Maths, Psychology and General Studies
Possible Uni Choices: Oxford, Imperial, Edinburgh and I'm thinking maybe Leeds as a final option but I'm not sure
Work Experience: 2 weeks shadowing a surgeon including 4 days in theatre with patients and 1 week working in my local GP Surgery

I'm really interested to know everyone else's ideas on where to go as I'm really not certain on my final two. :smile::smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
- What are your current stats?
- What are you studying for A Level?
- Which universities are you thinking of applying to right now?

International student coming from Malaysia!

Current stats : did Biology, Chem, Phy, Maths, Additional Maths, History, Moral Studies, English, Chinese, Malay for SPM (national level exam). Results out in one month!

A-Level subs: Bio, Chem, Maths, Further maths

Unis : Barts, UCL, Birmingham

Anyone else doing 18-months course? I feel like I've been suddenly piled down with all this medical application preparation :frown: I've only been here for a little more than a month.

Also, who else has my choice of subs? Apparently, they're not popular among medical schools! :s-smilie:
Original post by Uhhh
Hiya, it's really cool to find out about people hoping to do the same thing as me :smile:

Current stats: 8A*, 3A, 1C and an A in Additional Maths ((I also have exceptional circumstances))
Possible Uni Choices: Oxford, Imperial, Edinburgh and I'm thinking maybe Leeds as a final option but I'm not sure
Work Experience: 2 weeks shadowing a surgeon including 4 days in theatre with patients and 1 week working in my local GP Surgery

I'm really interested to know everyone else's ideas on where to go as I'm really not certain on my final two. :smile::smile:

A few people have warned me about considering Edinburgh! Apparently, since they don't do interviews anymore (at least not in 2015), you have to have really high marks for your A-Levels! According to my teacher, 300/300 in every subject. A student form my college applied with about 290/300 in each subject, and got rejected and she turned out to be the bottom 50%
Original post by Uhhh

Are they significant exceptional circumstances? Don't need to say what but just remember you'll be relying on that to get you through to an Oxford interview - with only 62%A* you'd be unlikely to get in another way.

Original post by shinthong123
A few people have warned me about considering Edinburgh! Apparently, since they don't do interviews anymore (at least not in 2015), you have to have really high marks for your A-Levels! According to my teacher, 300/300 in every subject. A student form my college applied with about 290/300 in each subject, and got rejected and she turned out to be the bottom 50%

Seeing as Edinburgh can't actually see your UMS grades, I'm going to call BS on that one.

Only Cambridge sees UMS, and even for them 290/300 would be fine. That student was probably rejected due to other factors - weak personal statement, for instance.
(edited 9 years ago)

Edinburgh has never interviewed school leavers (their reason being there isn't enough selection benefit to justify the cost), but there is active consideration on this and they may very well change their minds in the next few years.

The UMS point is completely BS. Academically, Edinburgh will give you a "top score" if you get at least A*AAa predictions and at least 8A*s in your top 10 GCSEs, and no Bs or below. There is no advantage if you get above this.

The girl from your school may have got 290 in each subject, but Edinburgh (in common with all medical schools) have other selection parameters viz: personal statement score, UKCAT, SJT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nexttime

Seeing as Edinburgh can't actually see your UMS grades, I'm going to call BS on that one.

Only Cambridge sees UMS, and even for them 290/300 would be fine. That student was probably rejected due to other factors - weak personal statement, for instance.

That's a pretty ludicrous claim to be honest - wondering about your motives.

Whoa hey, I'm just quoting what my teacher told me. She seemed really sure about it when she was telling me. I was considering Edinburgh as well but I can't apply with my subject combination.

So does that mean universities aren't able to look at UMS scores?
Whoa hey, I'm just quoting what my teacher told me. She seemed really sure about it when she was telling me. I was considering Edinburgh as well but I can't apply with my subject combination.

So does that mean universities aren't able to look at UMS scores?

That's correct. Universities can only see what you tell them on the UCAS form. The UCAS form does not ask for UMS. Cambridge can see UMS only because they send you a separate form. No other university does this.

Quick Reply