The Student Room Group

Anyone considering 2016 entry for Medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Millie-3
OMG getting seriously worried here...everyone seems like such good applicants! And I really mean everyone :biggrin:

GCSEs: 8A*s 2As (unlike some 14 A*s here, wink wink nudge nudge ;P)

A level Subjects: Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology

Universities: NO idea. (Although, in a deep, deep part of my mind and heart, I yearn for Oxbridge.)

Voluntary Work: at a nursing home since the age of 14, considering applying to a charity shop or something, waiting to begin tutoring juniors at school.

Work Experience: this week (eeeek! So excited!), shadowing a GP and sitting in on a minor surgery. But I only get a day, and i see people are booked in for weeks-- is that going to be a problem do you think?

And about that UKCAT/BMAT- i have that shoved waay away to the back of my mind. I will not think about it until I absolutely have to, which I know, does not sound healthy.

Thanks for making this thread! I'd love to talk to all you guys who are in the same boat as me :smile:

Omg your stats are so good! Haha why thank you :wink: I genuinely didn't expect it, results day was such a blur- I just did as much as the next person!

How are you finding psychology? I would have loved to have done it, it looked so interesting on the taster day! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
OMG getting seriously worried here...everyone seems like such good applicants! And I really mean everyone :biggrin:

GCSEs: 8A*s 2As (unlike some 14 A*s here, wink wink nudge nudge ;P)

A level Subjects: Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology

Universities: NO idea. (Although, in a deep, deep part of my mind and heart, I yearn for Oxbridge.)

Voluntary Work: at a nursing home since the age of 14, considering applying to a charity shop or something, waiting to begin tutoring juniors at school.

Work Experience: this week (eeeek! So excited!), shadowing a GP and sitting in on a minor surgery. But I only get a day, and i see people are booked in for weeks-- is that going to be a problem do you think?

And about that UKCAT/BMAT- i have that shoved waay away to the back of my mind. I will not think about it until I absolutely have to, which I know, does not sound healthy.

Thanks for making this thread! I'd love to talk to all you guys who are in the same boat as me :smile:

1 day work experience isn't enough
Original post by emem2011
They're not really bad, and there's always A Levels!! :smile:
Your voluntary work sounds really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Shabbii12
Thank you and I guess my GCSE grades aren't the worst although they're nothing compared to your 14 A*'s :wink:

you're going to be severely limited as to where you can apply.

Off the top of my head, the only unis that will take you are:
-QMUL- they use UCAS points, so learn to play an instrument and do as many A levels as you can
-Liverpool- personal statement heavy- you need some special work experience volunteering
-Bristol- personal statement heavy again- you need some special achievement e.g. sailing for team GB or something like that

best of luck, you'll be in my position this time next year!
Original post by hukdealz

-QMUL- they use UCAS points, so learn to play an instrument and do as many A levels as you can
-Liverpool- personal statement heavy- you need some special work experience volunteering
-Bristol- personal statement heavy again- you need some special achievement e.g. sailing for team GB or something like that

Thank you and I think I know what Universities to apply to, I've checked the listed Admission Criteria on websites, FOI Requests, TSR Applying to Strengths and Weakness Pages and I've made all the selections that I've listed based on this. :wink:
GCSEs: 1A* 1A 7B's (i know its not that great :s-smilie:)

A levels: Bio, Chem, Physics, Psychology, i just started AS and they told me my target grades are AABB

Work Experience: 1 week In hospital, 1 day in primary school

Voluntary: 1 week in care home, 1 week with charity firms, going to do 3months in something else i haven't decided yet

Extra curricular : NCS, starting Duke of Edinburgh (gold) this year, and sport clubs

planning to apply: barts and london, kings, exeter, plymouth/imperial?

is this okay??
Reply 45

Are you applying this year? Where are you applying? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh no I'm getting seriously worried reading all the posts in this thread - I haven't even organised my week of work experience yet, currently only just started one hour a week of volunteering in a care home... :/

- What are your current stats?
- What are you studying for A Level?
- Which universities are you thinking of applying to right now?

Wow, to think this applies to me is so scary!

Your stats are insanely good, that's somewhat worrying for me haha.

As for me,
GCSEs: 7A*s, 3As, 1B

A Levels: currently studying chemistry, biology, maths and French. Planning to drop maths after next year to take the remaining 3 to A2 :smile:

Universities:
I'm set on Bristol and Exeter, not too sure about the other two choices- it's between Sheffield, Southampton, Durham (which is risky bc my grades aren't brilliant, but love the school.), possibly BSMS though I don't really want to do the BMAT, possibly St Andrews. Also biochemistry at QUB as my fifth option.

Volunteering/Extra-Curricular: Ward volunteering, event first-aider w/ British Red Cross, part of Rotary Interact club, teaching French to primary school children, part of NCS, volunteer/fundraise for MENCAP. I've also been part of the school chamber choir since first year. Only problem is I'm not a big sportsperson bc I'm dyspraxic so have terrible hand-eye coordination :biggrin:

As for work experience, I have 3 days organised w/ orthopaedics and 3 days with NI ambulance service early next year. Would like to get a bit more done before I apply, but it depends bc I have a serious lack of contacts and the organisation our school does it through has a huge waiting list :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi guys, i'm thinking of doing medicine in the future as well.
I've got an average GCSE 3A*s 5As and 2Bs
I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Economics
I really want to drop one- either maths or economics ... which one shall i drop?
Can i do medicine with 3 As? I might even take an extra As during my A2 as something extra. So, which ever one i drop i can do that in my A2 as As level.

I have to decide which one to drop, either maths or economics. I've got so much things on my plate as i'm doing performing arts because it's my hobby. I know maths is a great subject but to be honest i don't enjoy at it. Economics, the subject itself i find interesting. So which one shall i drop keeping in mind that i want to become a doctor! any ideas?
Are you applying this year? Where are you applying? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nottingham
Cardiff
Liverpool
SGUL

pretty average set of Unis with average stats to match (680UKCAT, 9A*s, 5 hours volunteering per week, A* EPQ, average PS)

some advice for you, make the most of your time and grasp any opportunities that are presented to you!

Just remember anything you do can only strengthen your application, get as much work experience/volunteering as you possibly can; do an EPQ if you school offers it but make sure none of this gets in your way of getting 4As at AS.

It's worth pretty much giving up your social life for the next 2 years, because these years are some of the most important of your whole life.
Reply 50
Original post by Bethaaaaany
Wow, to think this applies to me is so scary!

Your stats are insanely good, that's somewhat worrying for me haha.

As for me,
GCSEs: 7A*s, 3As, 1B

A Levels: currently studying chemistry, biology, maths and French. Planning to drop maths after next year to take the remaining 3 to A2 :smile:

Universities:
I'm set on Bristol and Exeter, not too sure about the other two choices- it's between Sheffield, Southampton, Durham (which is risky bc my grades aren't brilliant, but love the school.), possibly BSMS though I don't really want to do the BMAT, possibly St Andrews. Also biochemistry at QUB as my fifth option.

Volunteering/Extra-Curricular: Ward volunteering, event first-aider w/ British Red Cross, part of Rotary Interact club, teaching French to primary school children, part of NCS, volunteer/fundraise for MENCAP. I've also been part of the school chamber choir since first year. Only problem is I'm not a big sportsperson bc I'm dyspraxic so have terrible hand-eye coordination :biggrin:

As for work experience, I have 3 days organised w/ orthopaedics and 3 days with NI ambulance service early next year. Would like to get a bit more done before I apply, but it depends bc I have a serious lack of contacts and the organisation our school does it through has a huge waiting list :frown:

I know, I can't believe how quickly it's come around!!

Ahh thank you- no need to be worried though, I'm sure medical schools would prefer a well-rounded candidate than someone with really good grades but not an awful lot of personality (not that I'm saying I have no personality, I like to think I do) hahaha :wink: Your stats are fab!!

I really like the look of Bristol too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Nottingham
Cardiff
Liverpool
SGUL

pretty average set of Unis with average stats to match (680UKCAT, 9A*s, 5 hours volunteering per week, A* EPQ, average PS)

some advice for you, make the most of your time and grasp any opportunities that are presented to you!

Just remember anything you do can only strengthen your application, get as much work experience/volunteering as you possibly can; do an EPQ if you school offers it but make sure none of this gets in your way of getting 4As at AS.

It's worth pretty much giving up your social life for the next 2 years, because these years are some of the most important of your whole life.

Thank you, that's so useful :smile: I'm trying to get as much experience as I can, but it's so difficult!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know, I can't believe how quickly it's come around!!

Ahh thank you- no need to be worried though, I'm sure medical schools would prefer a well-rounded candidate than someone with really good grades but not an awful lot of personality (not that I'm saying I have no personality, I like to think I do) hahaha :wink: Your stats are fab!!

I really like the look of Bristol too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely! That's why I like the idea of Bristol, they very much place an emphasis on the personal statement/interview side of the application which I think I'll be good at :smile: Also it's a lovely uni...I was set on applying there even before I decided on medicine. Also if we completely mess up on the UKCAT we've got Bristol to rely on :biggrin:
Omg your stats are so good! Haha why thank you :wink: I genuinely didn't expect it, results day was such a blur- I just did as much as the next person!

How are you finding psychology? I would have loved to have done it, it looked so interesting on the taster day! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh, you're just being nice! :h:
And IKR? Results day...now that i could talk about all day, and i don't evem remember most of it!

psychology...it's a lot of work. I mean, A LOT, or at least so far in my school. But the interest factor definitely makes up for that. And the best part for me so far is how biological it actually is- its definitely relevant to medicine, to say the least, and I'm just on the first term!

i would have loved to try english, although her we are only offered Lit. How is that going??
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if anyone else is considering applying for 2016 entry to medicine, now that this year's applications have been submitted? It seems surreal to think that this time next year it will have been us who will have applied!

I know we've still got a few months before we really need to start deciding future plans, but I just thought this would be a good opportunity to get talking to other prospective medical students! :smile:

So,

As for me:
14 A*s
(I have 13 just now, will hopefully have the final grade for the 14th in the next couple of weeks :colondollar:)

Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Language. I have already finished AS Level Religious Studies, with an A.

I'm considering applying to Oxford, had never thought about it before and doubt I'd get in, but I guess it'd be worth a try! I also love UCL, and I'm still deciding on my final two- maybe Bristol and Liverpool, depending on UKCAT?

I look forward to hearing from other people, and good luck to all of those who have just submitted their applications for 2015 entry:smile:

Here's the medicine connect/stalking page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying.

14 A* SCREAMING HAHAHA
u mad

and heeey everyone. For me:

Current stats: 7A* 2A (I know I know, but my school was in special measures and is in an underprivileged area soooo haha) and an A in AS.

Studying at A-Level: English Lit, Maths Chemistry and Biology.

Universities: Ofc I'd love Oxbridge/ UCL but in reality I'm not so sure... don't feel very well informed so will have to keep researching!

Good luck everyone :biggrin:DD
Reply 55
Original post by Bethaaaaany
Absolutely! That's why I like the idea of Bristol, they very much place an emphasis on the personal statement/interview side of the application which I think I'll be good at :smile: Also it's a lovely uni...I was set on applying there even before I decided on medicine. Also if we completely mess up on the UKCAT we've got Bristol to rely on :biggrin:

I completely agree, I think the personal statement part is so important! I reckon having communication skills is just as important as being knowledgeable when it comes to medicine, and you can definitely reflect your personality through your ps :smile: I am absolutely dreading the UKCAT hahaha!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
oh, you're just being nice! :h:
And IKR? Results day...now that i could talk about all day, and i don't evem remember most of it!

psychology...it's a lot of work. I mean, A LOT, or at least so far in my school. But the interest factor definitely makes up for that. And the best part for me so far is how biological it actually is- its definitely relevant to medicine, to say the least, and I'm just on the first term!

i would have loved to try english, although her we are only offered Lit. How is that going??

I think Psychology is so relevant to medicine, especially in today's society! I've heard so many people saying how much content there is to learn, so that will definitely look good.

Ah I love English haha :smile: I thought it was going to be creative writing, and whilst some aspects are, a lot of it is grammar which I actually find quite interesting. I'm learning loads of skills which hopefully (provided I get into medical school haha) I would be able to implement on a daily basis :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by Qaiys
14 A* SCREAMING HAHAHA
u mad

and heeey everyone. For me:

Current stats: 7A* 2A (I know I know, but my school was in special measures and is in an underprivileged area soooo haha) and an A in AS.

Universities: Ofc I'd love Oxbridge/ UCL but in reality I'm not so sure... don't feel very well informed so will have to keep researching!

Good luck everyone :biggrin:DD

Hahaha I swear I'm a normal teenager!! :biggrin: You did so well, you must be so pleased!!
I went to UCL in February and absolutely loved it, it was phenomenal!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, i'm thinking of doing medicine in the future as well.
I've got an average GCSE 3A*s 5As and 2Bs
I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Economics
I really want to drop one- either maths or economics ... which one shall i drop?
Can i do medicine with 3 As? I might even take an extra As during my A2 as something extra. So, which ever one i drop i can do that in my A2 as As level.

I have to decide which one to drop, either maths or economics. I've got so much things on my plate as i'm doing performing arts because it's my hobby. I know maths is a great subject but to be honest i don't enjoy it. Economics, the subject itself i find interesting. So which one shall i drop keeping in mind that i want to become a doctor! any ideas?
I think Psychology is so relevant to medicine, especially in today's society! I've heard so many people saying how much content there is to learn, so that will definitely look good.

Ah I love English haha :smile: I thought it was going to be creative writing, and whilst some aspects are, a lot of it is grammar which I actually find quite interesting. I'm learning loads of skills which hopefully (provided I get into medical school haha) I would be able to implement on a daily basis :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

*hides behind every typo ever made* :hide:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending