The Student Room Group

Is childcare a good course to do in college?

the only thing I want to do in college is childcare. I don't want to do A levels because of the stress and all that but will childcare take me anyway?
I don't want to go university to, I only want to be a teaching assistant.
Has anybody ever done childcare before, what's it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Childcare is boring as I have heard. My friends said its endless typing and as this course is on BTEC you will have to do around 12-18 different units of this course work. I wouldn't do it IMO.
Reply 2
Original post by becky30
the only thing I want to do in college is childcare. I don't want to do A levels because of the stress and all that but will childcare take me anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you got some experience working with children? That is the first step if not. Obviously this might be hard at the minute as you are in school, but you could see if a nursery would allow you to help for an hour after school. You can also look to volunteer in nurseries during half terms etc, and if you live nearby a neighbouring county or an academy/free school with different term dates to your school you could get a day or two there.

This experience will let you try out working with children to make sure it's a career you'll enjoy, and also give you some valuable things to talk about in interviews or personal statements etc.

I work with children and I love it. I don't have experience of college level childcare courses, but if it's something you're interested in I'd say it's worth doing because the qualification will open up a lot more jobs for you. It's hard to get in to that profession without qualifications - to do so you'd normally need to volunteer for some time so a school can see that you're good, then they may offer you a paid position where they would train you on the job.

However, if you're thinking more that you don't know what to do then I'd say take time to explore more careers, maybe speak to a careers adviser at school or someone at the college you're interested in who can talk about options. Write down all the things you are good at, and your personal qualities such as patient, positive, organised etc, and see what jobs you think they lend themselves too.

xxx
Reply 3
True but I prefer doing course work than exams so I guess it won't be that bad for me, what do you do?
Reply 4
Ahh this has helped me a lot, well I don't want to do A levels and I want to work with children, so I guess childcare is the right course right?
Original post by becky30

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did a level 3 diploma in childcare and education.
I really enjoyed the course.
From the course, you can go onto be a teaching assistant, nursery nurse, as well as other child related jobs.
Reply 6
Original post by becky30

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I took childcare at college as now that's what I love doing. I took a levels and to be considered 'child care qualified' I'd need atleast a level 3. Childcare is a good qualification to have as it opens your options. During your school breaks as a teaching assistant you could nanny in the uk or abroad, do ski seasons, work cruise ships or holiday camps uk or abroad.
Reply 7
Yeah its great I suppose! Some people just say it doesn't get you anywhere, but I find it hard to believe. Do you think its a stressful course? Because I'm doing BTEC and its mostly coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Yeah I love the sound of childcare! Do you think its a stressful course? Because I'm doing BTEC and its mostly coursework? The only option was BTEC but its apparently equivalent do you think that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by becky30
Yeah its great I suppose! Some people just say it doesn't get you anywhere, but I find it hard to believe. Do you think its a stressful course? Because I'm doing BTEC and its mostly coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You might not find a job for a while in the relevant sector but tbh I think that's more to do with the current job situation than the course- loads of people leave various courses and find it hard to get a job, but they are in a better position than people who've done an irrelevant course.

The more experience you can get the more it will help you get a job.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
I did the BTEC National Diploma in Children's Care Learning and Development at college between 2011- 2013 and I definitely think it is worth doing. It was not boring in my opinion but it might be if you just do the minimum pass criteria. If you aim for distinctions in your units you can make yourself more employable and stretch yourself to evaluate diferent issues- such as completing placement coursework, longitudinal studies and other units On my course you do 4 placements over 2 years with children of different ages and this gets you loads of work experience and contacts. I did not want to go to uni either but if you complete the course you are a qualified teaching assistant or nursery nurse and if you fancy going to uni in the future if you aim for distinction grades you will have the entry requirements for primary education at uni as long as you have maths and english grade C GCSE's! There are loads of options for careers once you complete the course- I ended up working as a Support Worker for disabled adults in residential care which is slightly different but I love it. I am now applying to study at Uni level part time through distance learning!
Let me know if you have any questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending