The Student Room Group

Anyone here scared of death?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I am frightened of death in the sense that whilst I realise it's inevitable, I can't imagine it happening. The knowledge that one day I will die, my body will just shut down and that will be the end of me is something that I can't process. And that's before you get onto all the ideas about God and the afterlife and Judgement that we are all nominally indoctrinated with by virtue of being human. Trying not to sound too crazy, but sometimes when I hear that someone famous has died, I half-envy them - because once it's done, it's done, you can't die twice. All the fear and trepidation is over.

Yesterday I was reading an online article about the actor Kirk Douglas, who will be 98 in a couple of months, and I thought - if I was him, having reached such an age, I'd be panicking every morning that today might be "the day" that the computer just switches off, and the panic might build up so much in the end that I'd consider suicide just to regain some sense of control.

Yeah, my head is messed up.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 81
To whoever has repped me - I've just added a bit about Kirk Douglas which probably makes me sound insane, but thanks anyway. :smile:
Original post by beaverhausen
Terrified. Because what happens when you do?

Is it just blackness? Or let's say you believe in God you'd go to heaven or hell. But what if you don't? What happens to you then. And technically since your dead... how are you getting to heaven or hell? Does that mean souls exist?

It's terrifying stuff and getting older and closer to it doesn't help.

Do you get scared every night before you go to sleep, wondering what will happen?
Reply 83
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Beyond terrified. In fact, beyond terrified is an understatement.

Which aspect frightens you most?

One of the things that disturbs me most, aside from the method of death, is the decomposition of the body afterwards. The rational side of me is saying, "Look, it's perfectly natural and you will not be conscious of it anyway".. but there's another side, weaned on horror movies and CSI and all the rest of it, that finds rotting away so gruesome. I actually considered being entombed at one point.
I'm not afraid of dying exactly. But I'm really not too fond of the idea of dying in pain.
Like, I'm not afraid if I drop dead in my sleep. The idea doesn't faze me at all. But I really don't like the thought of dying in pain (drowning, organ failure etc.).
Reply 85
Dylan Moran on death:

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dnim
why do you talk like a 15 year old african from the hood

On the outside I'm a 21 year old white girl but on the inside I'm a 15 year old African from the hood
Original post by AmyJ
Dylan Moran on death:

dylan moran.

one of the few irish people whos more popular abroad then in his own country.

Original post by Precious Illusions
On the outside I'm a 21 year old white girl but on the inside I'm a 15 year old African from the hood

hmm.
Original post by felamaslen
Do you get scared every night before you go to sleep, wondering what will happen?

I don't get scared before I fall asleep because I just fall asleep lol however I am afraid of going to sleep and not waking up again but that fear is usually during the day. I'm usually too tired to worry about that before bed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When you're a Muslim death is just a "doorway" to the eternal life. You don't need to be scared if you know you haven't done anything wrong. Pious people will face death happily and the hypocritical ones will fear it greatly.
#Righteous #Heaven
#Evil #Hell
Original post by AmyJ
Which aspect frightens you most?

One of the things that disturbs me most, aside from the method of death, is the decomposition of the body afterwards. The rational side of me is saying, "Look, it's perfectly natural and you will not be conscious of it anyway".. but there's another side, weaned on horror movies and CSI and all the rest of it, that finds rotting away so gruesome. I actually considered being entombed at one point.

I actually wrote a big Facebook note rant a couple of weeks ago on the subject when I was having a particularly "wobbly" day :

Spoiler

Reply 91
Original post by trustmeimlying1
hmm wana talk love:?

legend!

im quite the same...I mean I dont jump on high buildings or anything but much doesnt scare me.

Yeah, you're dying from the moment you're born, what's wrong with something helping you along

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why be scared of something that you can't stop?
More of the manner in which I die, rather than death itself.
death is just the last in an interconnected series of biological events. there is no more reason to fear death than the shedding of milk teeth.
Original post by PerArduaAdAstra
More of the manner in which I die, rather than death itself.

But why would you be scared of that? Unless you know how you are going to die, then you shouldn't worry about these things, they will hold you back some point in life.
Reply 96
Original post by the bear
death is just the last in an interconnected series of biological events. there is no more reason to fear death than the shedding of milk teeth.

Although winter.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by trustmeimlying1
hmm wana talk love:?

I just have ringing in my ears so of I die it'll stop :tongue:
Reply 98
Original post by Strawberry68
I just have ringing in my ears so of I die it'll stop :tongue:

I have voices..... They tell me to do things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beaverhausen
I don't get scared before I fall asleep because I just fall asleep lol however I am afraid of going to sleep and not waking up again but that fear is usually during the day. I'm usually too tired to worry about that before bed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My point was that dying, as long as it is not painful, is no different.

Quick Reply

Latest