The Student Room Group

Unsure whether to apply to foundation year at better University.

Hi Student Room,
I have been predicted BBC in Maths, Physics, Further Maths after achieving less than desirable AS results (ccdd - dropped chemistry)
I now have the choice of applying to foundation years at more "traditional" (read russell group) Universities, such as Manchester, and Birmingham
Or applying to other universities with lower entry requirements, such as Heriot Watt & Swansea.

I can of course apply to both options, but this then raises the dilemma of which to accept?
Of course in the long run, a foundation year will cost more and take more time, but I would of course have a more respectable degree.
Original post by Flux_Dubstep
Hi Student Room,
I have been predicted BBC in Maths, Physics, Further Maths after achieving less than desirable AS results (ccdd - dropped chemistry)
I now have the choice of applying to foundation years at more "traditional" (read russell group) Universities, such as Manchester, and Birmingham
Or applying to other universities with lower entry requirements, such as Heriot Watt & Swansea.

I can of course apply to both options, but this then raises the dilemma of which to accept?
Of course in the long run, a foundation year will cost more and take more time, but I would of course have a more respectable degree.

I wouldn't recommend doing a foundation year if you have the option of going straight onto a degree course. Especially if you can get into somewhere like Heriot Watt, which is very highly regarded in my industry (oil & gas).
Reply 2
Original post by Flux_Dubstep

An accredited engineering degree is an accredited engineering degree, it makes no difference where you get it from.

I would only recommend you do a foundation year if you're actually struggling with the maths and/or physics as this will give you time to perfect your knowledge and it will also allow you to see if engineering is really what you want to do.

Even though I would say the same as Smack i.e. avoid the foundation year if you can...I would also say don't go into year 1 if you already struggle a lot with the maths and/or physics otherwise you will definitely fail or find it difficult to cope. Engineering requires high work ethics if you want to do well.
I decided to do the foundation year at the better uni (Sheffield) even though I got offers to go straight into the course at other unis. I did find the foundation year to be a waste as I had either been taught all the stuff or we've gone through all the needed math subjects from scratch during the degree anyways, however in the long run I don't regret doing it.

However I'd still try to talk to them about it, because why spend the extra money/time doing something that you've already done/will do if you're already taking the required classes at school. Although the year will go by quickly it's still an extra £6k, and for me I only had classes 3 hours a day. Definitely try to see if you can persuade them to take you directly into the course
Thanks for the replies, I have taken on board your advice, and think I will replace Swansea with a foundation year course (I didn't even want to go to swansea, looking for excuse to remove it) at somewhere undecided.
I am going to keep HW and Brunel.
This gives me 3 choices, does anybody have any other recommendations, I had looked at Aberdeen, but living in Birmingham, I am unsure if I would find it too far away (~7 hours on train)

[Edit] Applying for Electronic/Electrical btw
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest