The Student Room Group

M3 or D1

So I have to pick a module for further maths apart from fp1, 2, 3, s2, and m2. Should I do M3 or D1? I've heard that D1 is easy but hard to get an A in , is that true? And what is in M3? (apparently its mostly physics?)
Original post by pezzarini
So I have to pick a module for further maths apart from fp1, 2, 3, s2, and m2. Should I do M3 or D1? I've heard that D1 is easy but hard to get an A in , is that true? And what is in M3? (apparently its mostly physics?)

M3 is definitely much, much more difficult than D1. I've not taken M3, but the content in it looks far more interesting than D1. Personally, if I had this choice, I'd take M3 - but that's because I found the unit incredibly dull. I don't think it's particularly hard to get an A in D1 to be quite honest, it's just an uninteresting module.
Reply 2
Original post by pezzarini

I'm doing both M3 and D1, M3 is on another planet in terms of difficulty, definitely do D1
D1 is easy. Although I would do M3 had I been in your position.
I'd pick D1 to be on the safe side... easy A. M3 is interesting but very difficult, would you want to risk it?
Mechanics goes with physics, decision with computing. What do you like the most?
I fully enjoyed D1 - but I want to do CompSci in the future.
I really enjoyed D1, but am very much in the minority. It's also very hit-and-miss when it comes to exams as to whether you're going to get a decent grade or not.
Reply 7
I'll be doing M3 and I'm applying for comp sci. D1 sounds really easy and quite dull from what my teachers have said. Also, Cambridge don't like it (for maths anyway).
I got an A in D1 and I did it as AS level, it's definitely more easier than M3. Also some schools use it as part of their Core modules so I mean it must be definitely easier and I'm guaranteed you'll get higher in D1 than M3 so pick D1!! lol don't worry if universities don't like it or not because most students don't get to pick what modules they want to do, so you're quite lucky and I doubt the university will know you picked it. Plusssss I've got a friend at Cambridge and they do mathematics and they did D1

Quick Reply

Latest