The Student Room Group

Which university for Biomedical Sciences?

I'm having trouble to select which four universities that I should apply for. I have had a look at the ranking based in the biological science category however each site have different ranking. I've read the course on their website, I found them all very good!

Anyway I will be definitely picking Manchester; it's a lovely uni with good life sciences facilities!

For the other four, my available options are:

[My predicted grade are ABB, my AS level grades are not strong due to personal circumstance but I will be resitting them]

Warwick [AAB-ABB]
Queens Mary College [ABB]
Kent [BBB]
Exeter [AAB-ABB]
UCLAN [BBC]
Edinburgh [ABB]
Exeter [AAB-ABB]
UCLAN [BBC]
Edinburgh [ABB]

I don't really have a preference, ah I'm confuse ...
Also I am unavailable to attend their open days

edit: In the end, I applied to Manchester, Warwick, QMUL, Edinburgh and Kent.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In general you should apply for:
1 choice above predictions if you want
2 or 3 choices at predictions
1 or 2 choices below predictions
So take entry requirements into account when choosing

If you can't visit any open days, at least find out roughly how big or small the universities are and whether it is a city or a campus uni. Then you can choose what sort of uni you want to attend. It is also important to look at the available module choices at each uni. Choose according to which courses cover your topics of interest best. In the case of Biomedical Science you also need to take into account whether you would prefer an accredited course.
I'm in the exact same position! I have the same predictions and will be resetting over half of my AS exams due to circumstance. I'm also applying for biomedical science and I've decide on four -

Warwick - I went to an open day there and its honestly my favourite university I've been to
Queen Mary - I went in October and it's so high tech for bio and by far my favourite London University
Liverpool - I went there yesterday and I really liked it but the life science building isn't great. They also accept general studies.
Keele - My biology teacher did her degree there and said it was good

I haven't got a clue what to put for my last choice, either UCLAN or Oxford Brookes. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by justinejones96
I'm in the exact same position! I have the same predictions and will be resetting over half of my AS exams due to circumstance. I'm also applying for biomedical science and I've decide on four -

Warwick - I went to an open day there and its honestly my favourite university I've been to
Queen Mary - I went in October and it's so high tech for bio and by far my favourite London University
Liverpool - I went there yesterday and I really liked it but the life science building isn't great. They also accept general studies.
Keele - My biology teacher did her degree there and said it was good

I haven't got a clue what to put for my last choice, either UCLAN or Oxford Brookes. Good luck!

Ahhh I was confused by Queen Mary as I also went to the open day last week. It didn't make me feel very comfortable and probably the London life was too tense and quick pace (I wandered around the central London for several hours and hopped onto random tubes to kill time). I didnt really obtain much information although I did listen to the talk; but it was simply repeating the same detail from the website for about 30 minutes

Can you explain what do you mean by high tech?

I am visiting Warwick next week, so I'm pretty excited!

Are you not interested in Manchester? Ahahaa
Reply 4
Original post by nerdcake
In general you should apply for:
1 choice above predictions if you want
2 or 3 choices at predictions
1 or 2 choices below predictions
So take entry requirements into account when choosing

If you can't visit any open days, at least find out roughly how big or small the universities are and whether it is a city or a campus uni. Then you can choose what sort of uni you want to attend. It is also important to look at the available module choices at each uni. Choose according to which courses cover your topics of interest best. In the case of Biomedical Science you also need to take into account whether you would prefer an accredited course.

1 choice above prediction if you want? So you mean I can apply an AAB requirement despite I am ABB? Oh...

edit: nevermind, this risk will likely be a rejection ahahaha
(edited 9 years ago)
SGUL.it's awesome.
Reply 6
Original post by Makashima
1 choice above prediction if you want? So you mean I can apply an AAB requirement despite I am ABB? Oh...

Yes you can. If they like your application, they might give you an offer despite your predictions, although the offer would still be for the higher grades. Whether you would still be allowed onto the course if you missed the higher offer would be down to a variety of factors, so you can't be sure.

I wouldn't advise applying for a course with grades more than one grade higher than your predictions though, so AAB would be your absolute top.
Ahhh I was confused by Queen Mary as I also went to the open day last week. It didn't make me feel very comfortable and probably the London life was too tense and quick pace (I wandered around the central London for several hours and hopped onto random tubes to kill time). I didnt really obtain much information although I did listen to the talk; but it was simply repeating the same detail from the website for about 30 minutes

Can you explain what do you mean by high tech?

I am visiting Warwick next week, so I'm pretty excited!

Are you not interested in Manchester? Ahahaa

I know what you mean about London, I don't really like the atmosphere when I'm there but the Biology part of the uni has just been refurbished so it would have high tech labs. Warwick is SO good, I really hope I get an offer from there! I love Manchester but I'm not predicted an A in either of my sciences so I don't want to waste a place when I doubt I'll get in but I might adjust if i do better than I'm predicted
Original post by Olderandwiser23
SGUL.it's awesome.

in what way :smile:
Original post by games211
in what way :smile:

Being taught alongside the MBBS course means you get a lot more health and disease/therapeutic knowledge as well as molecular bio.you get taught full anatomy with use of full cadavers-most biomeds don't do two years (or more) or anatomy let alone use actual bodies. Most use books/computer images! And if you're so inclined you have the option to transfer to 3rd year medicine after you graduate from biomed (providing you've met certain criteria)

And on the social side it's lovely as everyone knows each other and the events are well run and inclusive of everyone. There's no judgements, no racism, no horrible feelings at all to be honest.
Reply 10
Being taught alongside the MBBS course means you get a lot more health and disease/therapeutic knowledge as well as molecular bio.you get taught full anatomy with use of full cadavers-most biomeds don't do two years (or more) or anatomy let alone use actual bodies. Most use books/computer images! And if you're so inclined you have the option to transfer to 3rd year medicine after you graduate from biomed (providing you've met certain criteria)

And on the social side it's lovely as everyone knows each other and the events are well run and inclusive of everyone. There's no judgements, no racism, no horrible feelings at all to be honest.

Wow I have just checked on their website and I do have the desire to move onto medicine after Biomed.

Anyway it said you can apply medicine during the 2nd year and the 3rd.

This seem similar to Bradford which they also said after the first year clinical science, 20 applicants can be transferred to Leeds Uni to do medicine. However you can apply once ie can't apply 2nd and then if you failed, you apply again to the 3rd year.

Does this also apply to St.george?

can i have a look at a module handbook if poss?
Wow I have just checked on their website and I do have the desire to move onto medicine after Biomed.

Anyway it said you can apply medicine during the 2nd year and the 3rd.

This seem similar to Bradford which they also said after the first year clinical science, 20 applicants can be transferred to Leeds Uni to do medicine. However you can apply once ie can't apply 2nd and then if you failed, you apply again to the 3rd year.

Does this also apply to St.george?

Hi yes you can apply in the second year for the transfer and the third year. The high achiever a tend to apply in the second year and ones who aren't sure whether they'll make the cut apply during the third year.

You can't apply during he first year hope this helps.

:smile:
can i have a look at a module handbook if poss?

I don't have it anymore sorry.

In first year you do clinical sciences and molecular bio plus labs

Second year you do clinical sciences, therapeutics plus labs

Third year you choose what you do+ dissertation.
I'll see if I can grab a screen shot of the modules from a friend x

what is the average A-level results?

What is the timetable like?
are exams hard?
Oh back in the day I think it was BBB now it's ABB (better check though I graduated over a year ago :smile: )
Oh back in the day I think it was BBB now it's ABB (better check though I graduated over a year ago :smile: )

What can you do if you don't get into medicine?
What can you do if you don't get into medicine?

I'm a research scientist for a top tier university :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest