The Student Room Group

I've heard you don't have to do Homework in Sixth-Form/College???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by elmosandy
so if you dont do it= not in trouble

My school used to do this, but then half the class never did the homework and were getting bad grades. So they brought back detentions for sixth formers. I suggest just doing it. You'll feel better after (drained but better than if you didn't do it) but don't just do the homework, do past papers like you said and revise as you go along. It'll pay off in the end.
Reply 41
Original post by FunsoFH
My school used to do this, but then half the class never did the homework and were getting bad grades. So they brought back detentions for sixth formers. I suggest just doing it. You'll feel better after (drained but better than if you didn't do it) but don't just do the homework, do past papers like you said and revise as you go along. It'll pay off in the end.

Okay :smile: I will

but i'm jw even if you get given it if its okay if you don't.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zkrjebril
Thd strict teachers will still give detentions to curb lazy behaviour.

But when you often forget things it's really easy to forget homework when it's supposed to be handed in on days where you don't even have that teacher :L
Reply 43
I don't know about everyone else but I'm taking Maths and Science AS-levels and so far I've had about 2 hours of homework per week (most of which I get done in my study). I guess it depends on your subjects :smile:
I don't know what sixth form you go to but at mine you get 8 pieces of homework a week. MINIMUM. Its usually more like 15.
I'll show you my planner

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by noshahmad
I don't know what sixth form you go to but at mine you get 8 pieces of homework a week. MINIMUM. Its usually more like 15.
I'll show you my planner

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn! Because of you I'll never complain about my work load again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Norin
Damn! Because of you I'll never complain about my work load again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It actually makes me shed tears and then people ask me why I don't get to revise.
I have no time to do so, I've been getting stuff done in my frees now though so I can find time for revision :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
It actually makes me shed tears and then people ask me why I don't get to revise.
I have no time to do so, I've been getting stuff done in my frees now though so I can find time for revision :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I would give a hug if I could:biggrin:. I have no social life anymore.:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Norin
Oh, I would give a hug if I could:biggrin:. I have no social life anymore.:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will get better :hugs:
Reply 49
It will get better :hugs:

:biggrin:Are you sure, because it feels like it's never ending.:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
If only, if only. Homework is the bane of every sixth former's life. Oh, how I wish for the days of five pieces of homework a week. :sad:
I get far more homework in college than I got at school. Admittedly they cannot give you a detention for not doing it, they do get annoyed and if you continually failed to do homework they would kick you out.
You will get homework tasks, but nobody is going to chase you if you choose not to do them. They are beneficial to you to boost your understanding of the subject and ability to complete exam style questions. Instead, they will simply not allow you to take the exam if they don't think you're working hard enough, because no college wants students who are going to ruin their results.

Just do it. Take responsibility for your own learning, and do it. You're not a kid at school anymore, it's not "cool" to rebel (was it ever??) the difference is that now these exams REALLY matter, and could help to decide your future, so don't mess it up.
Original post by herondale
Yeah supposedly the general rule of census is for every hour of in school lessons, it's an extra hour of independent study. Assuming you'll be doing the minimum of fours hours for each subject, you should be doing four hours of extra work at home or in frees if you have them. A-Levels are kinda brutal and no-one really tells you just how hard they are. It's a major step-up from GCSE and even if you don't get set specific homeworks, I suggest you find something productive to do because it'll pay off.

We were told 4 hours per subject (including free period work) for AS, is this supposed to change in A2?

Note- I had 4.5 hours of lessons per subject last year, and now 5.5 (except maths, but that's weird anyway)
Reply 54
I'll show you my planner

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm.. What 6-form do you go to?
Reply 55
Thats NOT true. I'm in year 12 at the moment and we get given homework EVERY lesson.

The teachers tolerate you not doing the homework once or twice but then you get given a detention :/
I get so much HW!!! Its usually just little work sheets though
Original post by Norin
:biggrin:Are you sure, because it feels like it's never ending.:frown:

I'm sure, it won't get easier but we'll be able to cope a whole lot better :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Cherx
Erm.. What 6-form do you go to?

LOOL, you don't wanna know :L
Reply 58
LOOL, you don't wanna know :L

Why's that :tongue:
I got homework during college all the time. I just never did it and ended up with crap grades.

Quick Reply

Latest