The Student Room Group

How to deal with living next to a girl who doesnt seem to like me

So me and my partner are soon to be moving into a flat which is right next to his best mate and his girlfriend. They all met at uni, and he's been best mates with the guy for years, and has also known the girl for a while.

I met them all a couple of years ago, and the guy is sound really, always been nice with me, never had any issues. However, I just kind of feel like the girl doesn't like me, even though I've never been anything but nice to her, and I'm just a bit nervous about living next to them.

They used to spend time together at weekends, but this never happens now that I am here.
My boyfriend and his best mate still see each other daily as they now work together too, but we never see them otherwise or do anything as a group, Until now, we've only been living 10 minutes' walk from them too, and I've never seen their flat once, They did invite me one time, but I couldn't make it.

The girl was very bitchy about me at the start of meeting my boyfriend, saying I was hideously ugly, so not good enough for him, and a loser basically. (But she doesnt know that I know)

I once wrote a comment on her wall on her birthday wishing her and saying that I hope she was good etc. and it seemed to magically disappear... I've checked since and it's never reappeared..

I even offered her guitar lessons as I heard she was learning, and she seemed happy about the offer, and I tried to arrange times to meet but it just never materialised,

She's always been pleasant to my face, but according to my boyfriend she is extremely bitch, gossipy and can act like a princess.

Upon news of our moving, she was sending my boyfriend messages about it, but didnt say a word to me; it was just me who messaged her first. I've tried to make effort to invite them for a drink etc. as has my boyfriend, or mentioned to my boyfriend that we should do stuff together but it just never happens.

So I'm just a bit wary about this. Kind of dreading it almost. Does anyone have any advice about what I could do/how to relax? Thanks in advance
Reply 1
I said to my boyfriend once that we should all go for dinner or something, and he told me it wasn't their kind of thing, yet since then i've seen pictures of them on facebook at restaurants and stuff. I have told my boyfriend how I feel but he's told me not to worry, we're very different people and she simply just won't be my friend. It's hard though because he seems to really like her and she's extremely popular, whereas I don't have that many friends.
Reply 2
So? Make new friends? she sounds like a **** and is probably not going to change
Reply 3
Yeah, it's not that I am specifically trying to be friends with her, I've given up; it's just since I'll have to see her a lot more now we're living right next door ( I imagine we'll invite them to eat and stuff) and I just don't want to feel nervous or awkward.
Reply 4
I forgot to add that she tried to 'ban' him from dating me (at the start of the relationship), so I do not feel at ease around her at all.
I don't think she realises she is making you feel that way.
Just mind your own beeswax and flip her, who gives a fish. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by shawn_o1
I don't think she realises she is making you feel that way.

Even when I found out that she had a new job, I specifically messaged her to say congratulations, stuff like that, but nothing from her in return. She even had a huge birthday party and didn't even invite me or my boyfriend, which he didn't seem happy about. However, she invited him last year, when I wasn't there. My boyfriend said that if she didn't like me, I'd know about it. And since i know I haven't ever been mean to her, I am not sure what it is. She either thinks i'm weird, shy, boring, annoying, or just doesn't really care.
Reply 8
Original post by KittyRe-play
Just mind your own beeswax and flip her, who gives a fish. :smile:

Thanks; that's what I'd been trying to do, but now we are going to be living next door, it'll be hard to avoid her I guess :s
It's hard because she seems to have so many friends, everyone loves her, even if she is apparently bitchy, nasty and so on. I wouldn't say I do harm to anyone, try to be nice where I can, but not many people want to know really....
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks; that's what I'd been trying to do, but now we are going to be living next door, it'll be hard to avoid her I guess :s
It's hard because she seems to have so many friends, everyone loves her, even if she is apparently bitchy, nasty and so on. I wouldn't say I do harm to anyone, try to be nice where I can, but not many people want to know really....

When you see her just smile or don't even look in that direction if possible. Just make sure you don't stoop as low as her because she will make a big fuss and be a right b**** to you by telling all her friends, cuz she's popular as you said. Stay happy with your partner. Don't get too involved with your neighbour srsly cuz it sounds like she's just looking for an excuse and sounds jealous about something. Let her be; but you stay the way you are=Nice! :smile:
Original post by KittyRe-play
When you see her just smile or don't even look in that direction if possible. Just make sure you don't stoop as low as her because she will make a big fuss and be a right b**** to you by telling all her friends, cuz she's popular as you said. Stay happy with your partner. Don't get too involved with your neighbour srsly cuz it sounds like she's just looking for an excuse and sounds jealous about something. Let her be; but you stay the way you are=Nice! :smile:

Thanks, I appreciate that:smile: It's funny because she told my boyfriend that he shouldn't stoop as low as dating me.. she sometimes likes pictures of me on facebook too though, yet she says I'm really ugly so I don't know what to believe lol.

Anyway as long as I am polite and civil then that's the main thing:smile: I tried to make an effort and she didn't want it so now I just need to act like I don't care I suppose.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks, I appreciate that:smile: It's funny because she told my boyfriend that he shouldn't stoop as low as dating me.. she sometimes likes pictures of me on facebook too though, yet she says I'm really ugly so I don't know what to believe lol.

Anyway as long as I am polite and civil then that's the main thing:smile: I tried to make an effort and she didn't want it so now I just need to act like I don't care I suppose.

She is completely JEL. She can't stand your beauty and is a very self conscious person. Just be nice, after all "Only love overcomes hate". Be who you are and if she don't like you then that's her problem. Good luck sweetie and no worries. :h: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending