The Student Room Group

Do Top Universities Place Too Much Weight on GCSEs?

So many people, including myself, have improved dramatically over AS but it is the GCSEs that provide a flaw in application. How are we supposed to know what University we want to go to during GCSEs? I only decided I wanted to go to Uni midway through year 11!

It seems absurd that you can be rejected based on qualifications you took 2 years ago!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EHZ17
So many people, including myself, have improved dramatically over AS but it is the GCSEs that provide a flaw in application. How are we supposed to know what University we want to go to during GCSEs? I only decided I wanted to go to Uni midway through year 11!

It seems absurd that you can be rejected based on qualifications you took 2 years ago!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi five mate I get what you mean. It's really stupid I mean AS results and A levels are what matter most. GCSEs were just...well...GCSEs. They don't understand. :s-smilie:
Provided the grades you've mentioned in your sig are true, I don't think your GCSEs are even close to bad. In fact, they're excellent.

But your point is true. Many students don't know which universities they want to go to, and if they need to break their back to get full A*, etc. I can see where universities are coming from. If you have two candidates both with AAAA at AS and A*A*A* predictions, with weeks of work experience and lots of extra reading, how do you choose between the two? You'll have to go back to GCSE where Student A got 10A* 1A and the other got 9A* 2A.
Original post by loperdoper
Provided the grades you've mentioned in your sig are true, I don't think your GCSEs are even close to bad. In fact, they're excellent.

But your point is true. Many students don't know which universities they want to go to, and if they need to break their back to get full A*, etc. I can see where universities are coming from. If you have two candidates both with AAAA at AS and A*A*A* predictions, with weeks of work experience and lots of extra reading, how do you choose between the two? You'll have to go back to GCSE where Student A got 10A* 1A and the other got 9A* 2A.

I've had to turn it around in a very short time. My GCSEs could have been a lot better but I shouldn't be any less capable than someone with 8A*s. I don't see how it can differentiate to be honest. Instead it should be interview/PS ect, current things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They generally take account of having a positive trajectory.
Reply 5
Don't worry about it! Universities will be more impressed with those who have improved a lot from GCSEs since it shows that you have put the effort in to improve! Just as long as you weren't thinking of applying to Oxbridge who want minimum 5A*s (which I discovered in year 12 after going on a trip there, thus ending my dreams of applying there)
Original post by FunsoFH
Don't worry about it! Universities will be more impressed with those who have improved a lot from GCSEs since it shows that you have put the effort in to improve! Just as long as you weren't thinking of applying to Oxbridge who want minimum 5A*s (which I discovered in year 12 after going on a trip there, thus ending my dreams of applying there)

Applying to Cambridge :wink: Don't get me wrong, I'm not too ashamed of my GCSEs its just I think there is too much weight on them.

I got 7A* but a 99.22% avg at AS in best 3 subjects with 4As.

At Oxford for example, I would be second priority over someone with 12A*, 85% average with 4As.

Even though I have done better in recent years, I wouldn't be able to compete due to GCSEs. HENCE why I've applied to Cambridge, a more UMS friendly Uni.

I think the UMS take is much better than GCSEs in the filtering process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by EHZ17
Applying to Cambridge :wink: Don't get me wrong, I'm not too ashamed of my GCSEs its just I think there is too much weight on them.

At Oxford for example, I would be second priority over someone with 12A*, 85% average with 4As.

Even though I have done better in recent years, I wouldn't be able to compete due to GCSEs. HENCE why I've applied to Cambridge, a more UMS friendly Uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow and you shouldn't be haha

When you implied that they weren't great I got the idea that you had B's and under lol

I got 2A*s and 9As and wanted to apply, but after going on a few trips to Oxford and Cambridge and being told that they wouldn't look at GCSEs with less than 5A*s unless you had being under extenuating circumstances, I thought it was best not to.

But I do understand where you're coming from. I didn't try my best during my GCSEs since I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life then like many people in my year. Plus, it is a bit soon to be letting your grades determine your future at 16, or even 14/15 in some cases!

Good luck with Cambridge btw! :smile:
Original post by FunsoFH
Oh wow and you shouldn't be haha

When you implied that they weren't great I got the idea that you had B's and under lol

I got 2A*s and 9As and wanted to apply, but after going on a few trips to Oxford and Cambridge and being told that they wouldn't look at GCSEs with less than 5A*s unless you had being under extenuating circumstances, I thought it was best not to.

But I do understand where you're coming from. I didn't try my best during my GCSEs since I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life then like many people in my year. Plus, it is a bit soon to be letting your grades determine your future at 16, or even 14/15 in some cases!

Good luck with Cambridge btw! :smile:

Thanks a lot! And that's exactly what I mean, GCSEs are not indicative of actual ability imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17

Posted from TSR Mobile

99.22% ****ing hell.
I'm sure Cambridge don't place as much emphasis on GCSEs as you guys are suggesting, I was under the impression that they hardly looked at them.

If they do Im f+cked. Like you I got a 99% average at AS across 4 subjects, but my GCSEs are 7As 2 Bs and 2Cs :frown:
Original post by EHZ17

Posted from TSR Mobile

While it is stupid that qualifications taken so early in life have an effect upon your university choice, I can understand why they're considered - most candidates at top universities will have 4 As at AS, and be predicted at least A*AA, so GCSEs will be one of the main ways to differentiate between the candidates. It is a shame though, because my GCSEs (3 A*s, 7 As and a B) might let me down. I'd prefer universities to focus on post 16 work.
Reply 12
Original post by EHZ17

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know exactly how you feel. I only 6A* at GCSE but got 100% over my top 3 AS because I was working with my long term stronger subjects. Even then I feel like the GCSEs will knock my cambridge application and they'll look at an 8+A* GCSE student way more favourably
Depends on which university from a respective standpoint.
Applications to universities like: Cambridge, Durham, Bristol or Imperial are more friendly than applications sent to Oxbridge.
Great improvements in A Levels are very much respected.
I can relate to this thread. I had nooo idea what I wanted to do during my GCSEs so the motive just wasn't there :s-smilie:
Original post by tomfailinghelp
I'm sure Cambridge don't place as much emphasis on GCSEs as you guys are suggesting, I was under the impression that they hardly looked at them.

If they do Im f+cked. Like you I got a 99% average at AS across 4 subjects, but my GCSEs are 7As 2 Bs and 2Cs :frown:

Exactly man. Its annoying but Cambridge should overlook GCSEs with those averages. It's just other unis that dont ask for UMS are problems as well.

I joke to my friend who is applying to Oxford. All those at Oxford are students with low As at AS but thousands of As*s at GCSE hah

What are you applying for again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jasey
I know exactly how you feel. I only 6A* at GCSE but got 100% over my top 3 AS because I was working with my long term stronger subjects. Even then I feel like the GCSEs will knock my cambridge application and they'll look at an 8+A* GCSE student way more favourably

See with us, Cambridge will be fine from a grades point of view imo. It is just interview that will differentiate the students.

I also heard that those will above 97% are almost certain to get in if they don't flop in other areas of application. Can only be positive about our chances there. Even so, I don't expect a place I just know I will give it a good go :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol guys shut up

You're fine
My school never did stress the importance of GCSE's, although from what I've heard, universities care a lot more about A Level grades than GCSE's.

My school basically said aim for 5 C's and you can get into sixth form. I had no motivation to do anything. No realising i need a few A's for the Uni i want to go to, i have motivation and I'm putting in tons of effort and time into my studies
Reply 19
Original post by EHZ17
See with us, Cambridge will be fine from a grades point of view imo. It is just interview that will differentiate the students.

I also heard that those will above 97% are almost certain to get in if they don't flop in other areas of application. Can only be positive about our chances there. Even so, I don't expect a place I just know I will give it a good go :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah exactly, and since it's just talking about the subject I love I don't think I'll go completely wrong about it. We can only wait and see I guess! It would just be a very nice personal victory in a lot of ways as well haha

Quick Reply