The Student Room Group

What university would be best to apply to?

Hiya! For the past couple if months I've really had to start thinking about what unis I want to apply to, but the problem being I didn't to very well in my AS levels, i got a B in literature C english language E in History and an E in philosophy and ethics... I put so much work in last year, I made myself ill so I was clearly disappointed when I got my results, anyway now I'm onto my second your of A levels in year 13, does anyone have any realistic suggestions of universities that would be best to apply to given my current grades, I'm aiming for ABD for my final A levels and I'm putting effort in so I hope to achieve them, so far I have looked at York St John, Chester. Sunderland, Brighton, Newcastle ( which want ABB, so I'm debating whether it's worth applying to ) and also Northumbria, any advice I can will honestly be a huge help! Sorry for the long post, I'm a waffler!:smile: also I'd be applying for an English degree, either Language or a joint Language and Literature degree depending on the uni course and modules... Anyone help me out?
Original post by Clo.3
Hiya! For the past couple if months I've really had to start thinking about what unis I want to apply to, but the problem being I didn't to very well in my AS levels, i got a B in literature C english language E in History and an E in philosophy and ethics... I put so much work in last year, I made myself ill so I was clearly disappointed when I got my results, anyway now I'm onto my second your of A levels in year 13, does anyone have any realistic suggestions of universities that would be best to apply to given my current grades, I'm aiming for ABD for my final A levels and I'm putting effort in so I hope to achieve them, so far I have looked at York St John, Chester. Sunderland, Brighton, Newcastle ( which want ABB, so I'm debating whether it's worth applying to ) and also Northumbria, any advice I can will honestly be a huge help! Sorry for the long post, I'm a waffler!:smile: also I'd be applying for an English degree, either Language or a joint Language and Literature degree depending on the uni course and modules... Anyone help me out?

Start with the first question, why do you want to go to university?
Reply 2
I want to go to university because I have a passion to study English, it's the next logical step and for my career choice a degree is best to get into it, as well as the full uni experience!🎉👌📚

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clo.3
I want to go to university because I have a passion to study English, it's the next logical step and for my career choice a degree is best to get into it, as well as the full uni experience!🎉👌📚

Play to your strengths. You decent grade is in English literature. Where someone has lob-sided grades a university is more likely to be forgiving where someone is applying to read the subject in which they have the best grade. English is a very competitive subject everywhere.
Original post by Clo.3
I want to go to university because I have a passion to study English, it's the next logical step and for my career choice a degree is best to get into it, as well as the full uni experience!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have a passion to study English? That's interesting because your grades suggests otherwise.
Reply 5
Thank you! And I know what you mean, least my two good grades are in what I want to do at uni!👌

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by SuperiorGenius
You have a passion to study English? That's interesting because your grades suggests otherwise.

Excuse me... How rude are you? How dare you make a smart arse comment about my grades and education, I asked my question for a reason, I don't expect to get replies from unhelpful, egotistical snobs!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clo.3
Excuse me... How rude are you? How dare you make a smart arse comment about my grades and education, I asked my question for a reason, I don't expect to get replies from unhelpful, egotistical snobs!

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair, English is a very competitive course at University and therefore your grades may put you at a disadvantage to others. Of course, that depends on your university choice and such. If you want to do it, there is no reason why you shouldn't. Just put in the work :smile:
Reply 8
I know it's a very competitive subject, but everything is competitive these days and im going to have to make sure my university choices are realistic as well as nailing my personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clo.3

How bizarre. You did the exact same AS-levels as I did! I dropped AS History though. I personally wouldn't go for Chester. It is a horrible-looking city! I don't think Newcastle would accept you. I think if you could change that D to a C, then you might have a shot. But because English is a very competitive course, I doubt you'd get an offer.

I had the same problem with degree. I either applied to do pure English or joint in English Language and English Literature. I am not doing English Literature and Classics. So it's quite different from what I originally opted for.

When you go to uni, you will realise that A-levels or the grade is not that important. I know that one of my coursemate got an A* in A-level English Lit but she is struggling with the work. Whereas someone else got a C and are doing well. So it really doesn't matter. However, you must consider which works to your strengths and someone said. Having said that, do what you enjoy. I loved English Lang at AS but hates AS English Lit. When it came to A2, hated English Lang and loved English Lit. I am still taking at least 1 Lang/Linguistic module per year just so I can keep up my knowledge of Language. Maybe the same thing will happen to you, maybe it won't.

I think you should appy to ABB-BCC unis just in case to be honest. I think you should go for one ABB, 2 BBC and 2 BCC universities. I was predicted BBC and applied to 2 BBBs, 2 BBC and BCC university. I got offers from all of them. But you must consider your personal statement as well as I think that's what saved my application a lot. I can help with you that if you like?

I can offer you help in your A-levels too.
Reply 10
This is brilliant! Thank you so much! I'm taking all that advice into account! Do you mind me asking which university you got into? The thing about history is my teacher is pretty bad, I'm worried I won't achieve my a grade C because of this even though I'm trying, last year I got a B in my mock which I know doesn't mean much, but I thought I was doing something right so when I got my E for results I was shocked!!! I'm stressing out... And how do you mean help me with my A levels any extra support would be fantastic! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I personally wouldn't go for Chester. It is a horrible-looking city!

That is a heterodox view. What have you got against the appearance of Chester?

Original post by nulli tertius
That is a heterodox view. What have you got against the appearance of Chester?

The inside is nice, the outside is terrible love

Quick Reply

Latest