The Student Room Group

Why do young adults dress up for Halloween?

I don't know if I'm alone on this one, but personally, I find it extremely childish of anybody over the age of 13 who dresses up for this annual yanky-doodle tripe for children. Are they all still mentally about 10? So what do they get out of it in the long run? Free booze at a house party or organised event? Someone try explain it to me, please! :eek3:

Scroll to see replies

Eh, I don't personally do it but I'm not stopping people. They're having fun; that's all that matters, right?
Don't be such a Scrooge. Just let the people people.
Omgggg stahp being so mature. Personally I think there are moments when you need to grow up but I think it's like Christmas. It's a holiday in the year that I think everyone can join in with and have fun with.

Don't you get all giddy when it comes to Christmas time? The xmas jingles, hot chocolates and presents??? I know I do.

And for me it's the same with halloween, it's a chance to dress up (which I love doing) and have some fun and escape the boring hundrum of normal-mature life for a night.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by sarcasmrules
Eh, I don't personally do it but I'm not stopping people. They're having fun; that's all that matters, right?

Thanks for the reply. I don't wish to stop people having their fun either, but do you never look at them and think. What on earth? act your age, not your shoe size. There are people out their doing it in their twenties, possibly early thirties and beyond.
What is inherently immature about fancy dress parties? Clearly lots of people of all ages have fun doing it.
sex and pics
Reply 7
An excuse to take selfies and partaaay!
It's this little thing called fun... some people like to have it.
Reply 9
Original post by Gwilym101
It's this little thing called fun... some people like to have it.

It's for the kiddywinks though. Perhaps they're all still mentally about 10? They do often sound it (and sometimes look like it) when I walk past some of these bell ends every now and again.

The following isn't aimed at you. Guys, don't get me started on the "selfies" the youth of today take of themselves and put on Facebook. Nobody is going to persuade me most of those are anything less than childish. I've seen the faces they pull.
Because it's fun!
Why did The Taylor Swift write 'Shake It Off'?
Original post by noggins
It's for the kiddywinks though. Perhaps they're all still mentally about 10? They do often sound it (and sometimes look like it) when I walk past some of these bell ends every now and again.

The following isn't aimed at you. Guys, don't get me started on the "selfies" the youth of today take of themselves and put on Facebook. Nobody is going to persuade me most of those are anything less than childish. I've seen the faces they pull.

Who says dressing up is for kids? The traditions of dressing up in costumes or specific outfits date back millenia and more often than not the traditions were for adults to dress up. Ever been to Carnivale in Venice? Where almost everyone is wearing masks and cape for about a month?

Halloween has one tradition aimed at kids and that's trick or treating, the rest kinda applies to everyone who wants to celebrate it.
Halloween is not american. Neither is fancy dress.
Original post by noggins

You think fun is only for kids?

Oh dear. That is sad. You don't think fun is for you. I suggest you contact your GP and ask them to refer you to a mental health professional. :frown:
Lol, angry british kid be angry at us, plus it's all fun :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cole-slaw
Halloween is not american. Neither is fancy dress.

May I sing the USA anthem now please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because they are socially conditioned into the notion that Halloween is for partying, and this requires girls to dress slutty, and guys to dress like tools, all for the 'bantz'?
Original post by Yeah dude
May I sing the USA anthem now please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you feel that will help
Original post by Arkasia
Because they are socially conditioned into the notion that Halloween is for partying, and this requires girls to dress slutty, and guys to dress like tools, all for the 'bantz'?

Or maybe it's just fun dude' let us be young and wild and free dude :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest