The Student Room Group

Partial differentiation q

How do u do q8? Im guessing you dont equate w to u because it wouldn't really make sense. Here is what I have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by cooldudeman
How do u do q8? Im guessing you dont equate w to u because it wouldn't really make sense. Here is what I have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Inr q8 a function with 2 variables is given for you
Write down the first and second order partial derivatives of u according to
the question. (q8 is independent from eg q7)
Original post by ztibor
Inr q8 a function with 2 variables is given for you
Write down the first and second order partial derivatives of u according to
the question. (q8 is independent from eg q7)

This?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

2fxy+f=x(dfduuy)+f=\displaystyle \frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial x\partial y} +f=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left (\frac{df}{du}\cdot \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right )+f=

Now use the product rule to diffeentiate wrt. x

=2fu2uxuy+dfdu2uyx+f==\displaystyle \frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial u^2} \cdot \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \cdot \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}+\frac{df}{du} \cdot \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial y \partial x}+f=

Reply 6

Original post by ztibor
2fxy+f=x(dfduuy)+f=\displaystyle \frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial x\partial y} +f=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left (\frac{df}{du}\cdot \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right )+f=

=2fu2uxuy+dfdu2uyx+f==\displaystyle \frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial u^2} \cdot \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \cdot \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}+\frac{df}{du} \cdot \frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial y \partial x}+f=

I got u times the (second derivative of f w.r.t u) + f =0

[apologies but I passionately refuse to use latex]
Original post by TeeEm
I got u times the (second derivative of f w.r.t u) + f =0

[apologies but I passionately refuse to use latex]

Isn't that what I got? Above post?
Reply 8
Isn't that what I got? Above post?

sorry I did not actually look at neither of your solutions

I did mine very quickly

Thanks for the PDF correction

( I tippex it out and when it dried i wrote again the original wrong answer. That is why it was correct later on)
Original post by ztibor

I don't understand why u differentiated it again. What is wrong witg what I done?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I don't understand why u differentiated it again. What is wrong witg what I done?

Posted from TSR Mobile

this same what you got but your way was not correct . if I did not misread your solution
Reply 11

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just send it.
hope it helps
Original post by TeeEm
Just send it.
hope it helps

Original post by ztibor
this same what you got but your way was not correct . if I did not misread your solution

This is what I got. Please can someone tell me if its fully correct.
(the pic on next post)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
This is what I got. Please can someone tell me if its fully correct.
(the pic on next post)

That is fully correct.

Quick Reply

Latest