The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Why do people seem to dislike Manchester?

Hey so basically i want to study in manchester, but literally every person I've met says that manchester is a horrible city and they don't understand why i want to go there.. Is it really that bad?
(I'm from outside the Uk btw)
Have any of these people actually been to Manchester?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
There are two types.

Those that treat it as the London of the north.

Those that treat it as some kind of working class/underclass **** hole.

I however like Manchester for both those reasons :tongue:

Manchester City center is fine. There is lots of clubs/societies you can join if you want, Lots of nice buildings dating from the industrial revolution. Lots of technological development happened here. There are lots of dodgy bits but there are in any city.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Manchester is great. It IS the London of the North... with all the good and bad aspects that implies.
Manchester is great, It's cheap, you have everything you need expecially if you live near the city center, the night life is great. Transport is easy, wheter its by bike or by public transport or even car
Reply 5
Original post by hadukilami
Hey so basically i want to study in manchester, but literally every person I've met says that manchester is a horrible city and they don't understand why i want to go there.. Is it really that bad?
(I'm from outside the Uk btw)

Maybe your speaking to the wrong people? They may be southern snobs who think the world begins and ends in London.

As someone who lives close to Manchester i think it would make a fine choice for many students. Apart from its excellent academic facilities, it has a fairly compact city close to the Uni. Travel is easy and the nightlife is good. Close by you have the peak district national park and a bit further on , Cumbria and the Lakes.

Bits i dont like about Manchester..

The repellent Curry mile
Constant roadworks
Picadilly Gardens.. wrecked by planners over decades
The grotty arndale..see above
Northern chavs/underclass

Apart from that, its all good..
I don't give a damn. Manchester is just amazing :wink:

Quick Reply