The Student Room Group

Core 3 June 2006

Hi, I was doing a past paper question and when it came to question 8 on the Core 3 June 2006, I got confused with the mark scheme. It is asking for the range of the function f and I put f(x) must be greater or equal to zero but the mark scheme says it must be greater than minus one. How is this different? I attached images of the question and the mark scheme. Thanks ImageUploadedByStudent Room1413728183.658559.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1413728224.211824.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Heartland
Hi, I was doing a past paper question and when it came to question 8 on the Core 3 June 2006, I got confused with the mark scheme. It is asking for the range of the function f and I put f(x) must be greater or equal to zero but the mark scheme says it must be greater than minus one. How is this different? I attached images of the question and the mark scheme. Thanks

Your answer is incorrect because f(x) can be less than 0
Reply 2
But I'm saying its greater or equal to zero... I don't get it, can you explain it please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
But I'm saying its greater or equal to zero... I don't get it, can you explain it please?

Yes I know you are - that is why you are incorrect

What if x is a negative number
Reply 4
I still don't get it. My range doesn't say that x is a negative?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please use the reply button

The domain was all real x
If x is negative then f(x) is also negative, but greater than -1

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also got stuck on this question.
The way my teacher explained it to me it that you know the graph of "e" is > 0 but then the -1 (from the question) is a transformation, so the whole graph shifts downwards, that's where > -1 comes in.
Hope that helps (:
Reply 7
Original post by Roxanne18
I also got stuck on this question.
The way my teacher explained it to me it that you know the graph of "e" is > 0 but then the -1 (from the question) is a transformation, so the whole graph shifts downwards, that's where > -1 comes in.
Hope that helps (:

Ok so if the graph had -3 on the end the range would be >-3? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as there were no other transformations and it was still an "e" graph then yes I think it would (:

Do you understand why?
Reply 10
Hi, I was doing a past paper question and when it came to question 8 on the Core 3 June 2006, I got confused with the mark scheme. It is asking for the range of the function f and I put f(x) must be greater or equal to zero but the mark scheme says it must be greater than minus one. How is this different? I attached images of the question and the mark scheme. Thanks ImageUploadedByStudent Room1413728183.658559.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1413728224.211824.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

The range of the function gives you the set of values that the function can output.

As x gets very big and negative, 2e3x2e^{3x} gets smaller and smaller - very close to 0. So 2e3x12e^{3x} - 1 can be as close to -1 as you want but not actually equal to -1. Therefore the range has to be all values > -1.
Reply 11
Ok I get it now thanks everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest