The Student Room Group

Motorbiker learns to drive on four wheels.

Ok, going to keep a log of my training lesson by lesson and other things like theory and practical test attempts.

There's an entire popular subforum in fitness where a lot of people have logs and I reckon it could work here as well.

History :I've had a motorbike since I was 16 and I've day. Passed my bike test when I was 17. Did a little bit of driving when 18 with my dad then went to uni for four years. Am now 23, just, and want to get my car license.

Had my first lesson earlier today.

It went well, no stalls, no major scares. Biggest issues are learning how wide a car is, approaching everything too fast because I'm used to being on a bike and I crept over the speed limit a few times. Also, went I went to pull in and park one I clouted the kerb. Didn't mount it though. Went on all types of roads. Going to start manoeuvres next week.

Any questions just ask. If you think driving lesson tracking, licence earning logs are stupid then tell me that a well.

Scroll to see replies

Did the little experience of driving when you was 18 help? Did it come back at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by The_Blade
Did the little experience of driving when you was 18 help? Did it come back at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think so, a little bit. The thousands of miles I do on my bike each year probably help a lot more imo.

The instructor drove for the first minute or so to a quieter road then we swapped and I drove for the next 1:58.
What car are you learning in? Petrol or diesel?
Reply 4
Original post by BrownEyedGirl92
What car are you learning in? Petrol or diesel?

1.5 litre turbo diesel ford fiesta. It's a nice little car tbh.

Think it was a 2012 reg car.
Original post by Motorbiker

It's odd going from car to a bike. A car doesn't just go where you're looking!
Reply 6
Original post by mikeyd85
It's odd going from car to a bike. A car doesn't just go where you're looking!

Bikes are very similar in some ways and very different in others.

Bikes feel a lot more natural but that's probably just because I'm used to riding.

Any questions just ask. If you think driving lesson tracking, licence earning logs are stupid then tell me that a well.

Not at all!!! I personally get used to a car very quickly - so much so that it feels weird for about 10 minutes in my own car, after Im done..... For others, it can take a while I guess
Reply 8
Lesson two completed.

Did some manoeuvres.

Started with turn in the road. Lots of me not checking enough blind spots. And using clutch and brake at the same time foolishly when trying to move

Then parallel Park. Was alright except right hand blind spot again. Actual movement was fine.

Then did reverse around the corner and that was fine.

I was better at being slower approaching junctions but was still coasting.
You're doing a hell of a lot better than me, but I guess you also have a lot more road experience to begin with.
You're doing a hell of a lot better than me, but I guess you also have a lot more road experience to begin with.

Yea, riding a bike for years helps me with general Road craft.

And that helps with machine control as well. Still feels weird to be using the wrong thing to control throttle and clutch etc compared to the bike though.

How long have you been learning? You should start a training log. :smile:

And that helps with machine control as well. Still feels weird to be using the wrong thing to control throttle and clutch etc compared to the bike though.

Only 5 lessons/7.5 hours. I considered starting a log but I don't think it would be interesting to read. I'll decide once I find a new instructor since I don't have one at the moment.

Good luck pal.

With the road confidence you already have I cannot imagine this thread being active for long (you'll pass in no time).
Only 5 lessons/7.5 hours. I considered starting a log but I don't think it would be interesting to read. I'll decide once I find a new instructor since I don't have one at the moment.

I've already had four hours. Each lesson is two hours.

Go for it. I think it will be interesting and useful. And you'll have at least one reader in me.

What was wrong with your first instructor?
Original post by King Leonidas
Good luck pal.

With the road confidence you already have I cannot imagine this thread being active for long (you'll pass in no time).

Got my theory booked already for November. Hopefully can pass quickly and get on to the practical.
I've already had four hours. Each lesson is two hours.

Go for it. I think it will be interesting and useful. And you'll have at least one reader in me.

What was wrong with your first instructor?

Aww thank you.
He is no longer able to cover my area so I've pretty much been abandoned :frown:
Aww thank you.
He is no longer able to cover my area so I've pretty much been abandoned :frown:

Ask friends who they learnt with. :smile:

Where about are you?
I can recommend a very good instructor for those in the Worcestershire area:yy:
Reply 18
Before:

After:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kka25
Before:

After:

I like it. Especially the pusheen car gif. Not seen that before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending