The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by snikutsmullac
I think I'll be predicted ABB, But I'm applying for universities with requirements ranging from AAB-BBB, all of which I'd be happy go to to but I would obviously prefer to aim for the higher places.

Given that you got BC + another unmentioned grade, applying for BBB as your lowest offer is very risky; try to have at least one choice that match your AS grades.
Everyone in the class has the same problem, as did everyone in her class last year. I think shes been unreasonable for everyone just not me. There's no need to be rude.

I'm not being rude, or at least it's not my intention. I'm simply not going to sugar coat my answer however, I think it's unfair to do so.

I wasn't just referring to your class, I'm referring to everyone else that applies on UCAS. If I could have my predictions raised because my 'work ethic has improved', then great! But the world doesn't work like that and you've simply just got to grit your teeth, bear it, and do better next time.

Think about it this way, you wouldn't be having the issue if you didn't get an A in the first place?

You're a B grade student (for now), and that won't change until your next set of exams. Besides, there's nothing wrong with a B, and there are plenty of good universities that will take a B grade student on anyway.

If you are still willing to fiddle with the data, you should consult other teachers and a head of department.
Original post by benq
The same thing happened to me last year. Go to the Head of House or the Principle. Maybe even ask your parents to talk with the teacher or the staff above. Teachers can refuse to predict you a grade, but there is no rule that they have to predict you X if you got Y. They are in power to predict you an A* even if you got a C. Good luck.

This is the best advice, this is what you need to do if you want any chance of raising the prediction.

I'm sorry, but I am certain I am not going to do worse at A2 than at AS.

Whilst I support your right to have the chance via the predicted grades, statistic show otherwise.

Original post by 2007PSanHa
I don't think they can predict more than 1 grade higher than your AS result (that's what we got told anyway)!

OP wants a predition 1 grade up anyway (B to A) but there are no hard and fast rules.

Original post by TolerantBeing
I don't think so, from my school everyone did better in A2. In AS you're still getting used to the new format of A-levels and most don't realise how much work they need to put in compared to their GCSEs.

Most teachers would put a grade higher in their predictions, and especially considering he had an A in an exam, I think it's harsh of her not to. OP, I'd suggest explaining the situation to your head of year.

Your school is a serious outlier then, that's not the norm.
In AS-Level Law I got a B; my UMS was exactly half-way between the B and A boundaries so it was a good, solid B. In one exam I got an A and in the other I got a C, 1 UMS off of a B. I am resitting the C exam and am certain I can get it up to an A, as I know exactly where I went wrong and how to improve.

I have been working my socks off since the beginning of A2 to do my best and try and get an A overall. However, my teacher refuses to predict me higher than a B. I have explained to her that I need an A for almost all of the universities I am looking at, she can see how hard I am working and she knows I am retaking the one exam but she is completely refusing to predict me an A. It is not fair because I am sure I will get an A, and it is likely going to prevent me from getting offers from every university I am looking at. I don't know what to do.

Any advice?

The job of your teachers is to predict you the grades that they believe you are most likely to achieve, not to predict you the grades that you want them to.

The fact that you think that you will get an A is irrelevant as your teacher obviously believes that you are more likely to achieve a B.

At the end of the day if you apply for Universities based on your predicted grades and you exceed them then there is nothing stopping you withdrawing your application, taking a gap year and applying again.
The issue is that if you don't get that grade- you'll be more disappointed than anything. Yes, you're working hard. But, facts are facts- what guarantee is there that you are going to get an A this year if your current results don't reflect that?

Are you applying to do law by any chance?

I was somewhat in the same boat as you- I had all A's at AS level and was certain I could get an A* in Philosophy. Truth is, I did worse in A2 than AS, my teacher predicted me the A* regardless and yes I got into my firm, but it's a risk you don't want to take. If you do get the A in your exams, clearing exists for a reason as well as the adjustment. Look at it that way.

If you're really desperate- talk to your head of year to see what they can do.
Put it this way, the school is in jeopardy if they continuously predict people higher than they will realistically achieve. I heard a crazy statistic that over 60% of predicted grades are OVER predicted. Universities take note of what schools consistently over predict and consequentially it can grow to count against that school.

If she refuses to change your grade prediction, perhaps taking a gap year isn't a bad idea. Work your ass off this year, get an A, and prove her wrong. Then apply with your grades to University next year.

Thats just my 2 cents. :smile:
In AS-Level Law I got a B; my UMS was exactly half-way between the B and A boundaries so it was a good, solid B. In one exam I got an A and in the other I got a C, 1 UMS off of a B. I am resitting the C exam and am certain I can get it up to an A, as I know exactly where I went wrong and how to improve.

I have been working my socks off since the beginning of A2 to do my best and try and get an A overall. However, my teacher refuses to predict me higher than a B. I have explained to her that I need an A for almost all of the universities I am looking at, she can see how hard I am working and she knows I am retaking the one exam but she is completely refusing to predict me an A. It is not fair because I am sure I will get an A, and it is likely going to prevent me from getting offers from every university I am looking at. I don't know what to do.

Any advice?

I got 90 UMS in maths and 85 ish in chem and bio.. still didn't get predicted A*'s :frown:
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
The issue is that if you don't get that grade- you'll be more disappointed than anything. Yes, you're working hard. But, facts are facts- what guarantee is there that you are going to get an A this year if your current results don't reflect that?

Are you applying to do law by any chance?

I was somewhat in the same boat as you- I had all A's at AS level and was certain I could get an A* in Philosophy. Truth is, I did worse in A2 than AS, my teacher predicted me the A* regardless and yes I got into my firm, but it's a risk you don't want to take. If you do get the A in your exams, clearing exists for a reason as well as the adjustment. Look at it that way.

If you're really desperate- talk to your head of year to see what they can do.

Actually, your case perfectly represents why it matters so much. You did worse at A2 but still got in, just because of your predictions. OP won't have that opportunity.
Original post by games211
I got 90 UMS in maths and 85 ish in chem and bio.. still didn't get predicted A*'s :frown:

Do you mean % of UMS?
Original post by plasmaman
Do you mean % of UMS?

yh average
Reply 50

Any advice?

definitely get your parents to contact the headteacher!
What are the policies your other teachers are working by, e.g. are there other teachers who will predict students a grade up? Are there students for your law class that your teacher is predicting a grade up for? Do some research. If it's a blanket policy at your school, there probably won't be much you can do about it. If however this teacher is predicting other students a grade up, or other students in other classes are being predicted a grade up, I would say go above this teacher as that's just not fair.

And people are being very harsh on you - an A in one exam and a C that was one mark off a B is easily brought up to an A overall. There are people on here claiming they got Cs at AS and brought it up to A*s and As and other idiocy. Ultimately if your teacher predicts you an A, and you only get a B and miss your offer, YOU will be the one suffering because clearing etc is a very stressful process. And if you do prove her/him wrong and get an A, why should you have to do adjustment and probably not have halls etc when your grades are perfectly reasonable to ask for an A grade prediction. I wouldn't give up just yet.
Reply 52
Original post by infairverona
What are the policies your other teachers are working by, e.g. are there other teachers who will predict students a grade up? Are there students for your law class that your teacher is predicting a grade up for? Do some research. If it's a blanket policy at your school, there probably won't be much you can do about it. If however this teacher is predicting other students a grade up, or other students in other classes are being predicted a grade up, I would say go above this teacher as that's just not fair.

And people are being very harsh on you - an A in one exam and a C that was one mark off a B is easily brought up to an A overall. There are people on here claiming they got Cs at AS and brought it up to A*s and As and other idiocy. Ultimately if your teacher predicts you an A, and you only get a B and miss your offer, YOU will be the one suffering because clearing etc is a very stressful process. And if you do prove her/him wrong and get an A, why should you have to do adjustment and probably not have halls etc when your grades are perfectly reasonable to ask for an A grade prediction. I wouldn't give up just yet.

Whilst you have some fair comments I'd just like to point out (bit in bold) that the school could suffer and more to the point future students from that school could suffer if the school and/or the teacher gets a bad rep for being over optimistic with predicted grades.
Original post by infairverona

Other teachers at the college are more reasonable/flexible with predictions, it's just this teacher, and it's the same for everyone every year. She predicted a student who got 100% at AS a B.

I know. People get D/C grades at AS to an A at A2 and I bet some of their teachers predict them A grades, so why it's unreasonable for me to get an A from a B is beyond me. If I don't get the A then of course I will take responsibility for it, but I'm working hard enough to ensure that I do.

As much as I'd like to not go through the clearing/adjustment process I don't think I'll have much choice. There are a few ABB universities I like the look of, but obviously I'd rather aim high.
Reply 54
I got a low C in AS maths and managed to pull it up to a very high A at A2 (3 marks off an A*!) so it definitely can be done! I was lucky enough that my maths teacher believed I could get an A so she predicted me accordingly. OP your teacher obviously does not believe you can get an A- man up, move on and prove her wrong!
I do get what you're saying but I don't want to take a gap year, what I'll probably do is firm a place with lower requirements and go through adjustment

Like someone else has suggested. Speak to someone of higher authority. If you've told her the unis you've applied to require an A then she is being an ********* by not predicting you an A.
Your only real option is to get your parents to talk to your teacher/head of year/principle. Personally I think your teacher is entitled to predict you a B as while you may improve your AS grade by retaking, your A2 grades may be affected if you have to spend time revising for AS rather than A2, which is what your teacher may be wary of. I don't know what you got in your other AS levels but having seen you say Mid B and C so far I wouldn't predict you AAB.
Original post by Person1001
Like someone else has suggested. Speak to someone of higher authority. If you've told her the unis you've applied to require an A then she is being an ********* by not predicting you an A.

Wow. Teachers give predicted grades based on what they think the person will get, not what they need.

Any advice?

It sounds as though you're overthinking things. I'm currently on a gap year and reapplying to better universities for law than I did this time last year. I was predicted A*BBC this time last year and had a ABCCCU at AS, I somehow managed to get an AAA offer for Law from Exeter, and a ABB offer for Law from Liverpool.

Moral of this is that remember the universities not only judge your application on predicted grades, they also judge it on references and your personal statement. So stop worrying now because they may just suprise you and give you an offer regardless!
But as you said, adjustment is always a possibility!
I feel like some on here are being a bit harsh on OP. I got a low C in psychology AS, my weakest subject. I struggled the way through A2 with it but to my surprise, I came out with an A. My teacher never expected it. If I was applying to Uni last year, he would have definitely predicted me a C which I think is unfair. As long as you know you're determined, I see no reason why you can't achieve 2 grades higher than your AS grade

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest