The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joeymr
I got a low C in AS maths and managed to pull it up to a very high A at A2 (3 marks off an A*!) so it definitely can be done! I was lucky enough that my maths teacher believed I could get an A so she predicted me accordingly. OP your teacher obviously does not believe you can get an A- man up, move on and prove her wrong!

There's no need to be rude to me. I guarantee that you would feel EXACTLY the same way as me if you were in my situation. She has even told me that she thinks I can get an A but she is only basing the prediction on what I got for AS.

Original post by Person1001
Like someone else has suggested. Speak to someone of higher authority. If you've told her the unis you've applied to require an A then she is being an ********* by not predicting you an A.

I would but the head of A-Levels is just as stubborn.
Original post by fatsherry
I feel like some on here are being a bit harsh on OP. I got a low C in psychology AS, my weakest subject. I struggled the way through A2 with it but to my surprise, I came out with an A. My teacher never expected it. If I was applying to Uni last year, he would have definitely predicted me a C which I think is unfair. As long as you know you're determined, I see no reason why you can't achieve 2 grades higher than your AS grade

Posted from TSR Mobile

But you've just said to your surprise you came out with an A. If you didn't expect an A why would it be unfair for your teacher to have predicted you a C?
Original post by snikutsmullac
There's no need to be rude to me. I guarantee that you would feel EXACTLY the same way as me if you were in my situation. She has even told me that she thinks I can get an A but she is only basing the prediction on what I got for AS.

I would but the head of A-Levels is just as stubborn.

Maybe it's no coincidence that no one is willing to raise your predicted grades...
Original post by 789tom789
Maybe it's no coincidence that no one is willing to raise your predicted grades...

Explain to me how an overall B with one exam being re-sat to raise the grade to an Aand nearly 100% on every two A2 test so far justifies only predicting me a B. It's not like I'm asking for A*, it's perfectly reasonable and achievable, as my teacher has said herself.
Explain to me how an overall B with one exam being re-sat to raise the grade to an Aand nearly 100% on every two A2 test so far justifies only predicting me a B. It's not like I'm asking for A*, it's perfectly reasonable and achievable, as my teacher has said herself.

I don't understand why students think they're entitled to higher grade predictions?! On top of the fact that being predicted an A would make little difference to your application, your teacher's professional judgement is a lot more important than yours. You've been so arrogant in this thread, it's quite unbelievable. If you are having to resit an exam in order to get an A, bearing in mind that AS is much easier than A2, it's absolutely not a surprise that your teacher is not willing to predict you an A. Predicted grades are not targets, they're predictions - the hint is in the name - and your teacher is staking their professional integrity on those predictions not being inflated.
In AS-Level Law I got a B; my UMS was exactly half-way between the B and A boundaries so it was a good, solid B. In one exam I got an A and in the other I got a C, 1 UMS off of a B. I am resitting the C exam and am certain I can get it up to an A, as I know exactly where I went wrong and how to improve.

I have been working my socks off since the beginning of A2 to do my best and try and get an A overall. However, my teacher refuses to predict me higher than a B. I have explained to her that I need an A for almost all of the universities I am looking at, she can see how hard I am working and she knows I am retaking the one exam but she is completely refusing to predict me an A. It is not fair because I am sure I will get an A, and it is likely going to prevent me from getting offers from every university I am looking at. I don't know what to do.

Any advice?

I am in the exact same situation. I was 1 UMS off an A in Biology and 1 UMS off a B in Chemistry! Yet, they are predicting me BC. What also makes this worst is that they predicted others higher when they got lower than me! Stupid *****. I have wrote a letter. This is my life they are ****ing with

Chlorophile has already put it very well in saying that you got a mid B in easier AS, it seems to me you feel you're entitled to an A prediction, whereas in reality you didn't do well enough at AS to justify a better prediction. The fact it was a mid B at AS shows to me you could have been predicted a C as people generally do worse at A2.
A lot of universities advise if you were disappointed with A/S results and are resiting it aiming for higher then mention this in you personal statement. In fairness to teachers they have to reflect your A/S results in your predicted grades and in my experience they will only up the predicted grade if you had some sort of exceptional circumstance that affected your performance at the time.

Surely mentioning in your personal statement that you know where you went wrong and have therefore upped your game where A2 is concerned tells them something more about your character and determination than expecting your teacher to give you a higher predicated grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have to also remember that students not achieving predicted grades is considered by the senior leadership of most schools as evidence of poor performance by the teacher concerned. Therefore there is a strong career-based disincentive for over-prediction of grades.
You're not entitled to anything. Especially not a cosy predicted grade. Apply for UCAS within your means, work bloody hard for an A then if you get that change uni choice through adjustment.

You won't get by on a prediction. You get by on qualifications. Put more effort into your work than whinging on TSR
Original post by 789tom789
But you've just said to your surprise you came out with an A. If you didn't expect an A why would it be unfair for your teacher to have predicted you a C?

You missed my point. Yes it was to my surprise because I was expecting a B and was determined to get my target. Fortunately for me I ended up with an A. My point is that my teacher wouldn't predict my classmates with a B even though they were more than capable to get it. Even I was capable of getting a B but my prediction for A2 was still a C. I wasn't worried because I wasn't applying to uni yet but if I was I would have pushed it just like OP is trying to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At the end of the day, just like some have mentioned on here, predicted grades are not the final thing. If your teacher doesn't predict you higher. Work your ass off and once you get those grades, go through adjustment. The best feeling is walking past your teacher who thought you wouldn't pass and proving them wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i had the same problem with a teacher at my school :/ i haven't got below 90% on a test this year yet she insists I'm not capable of an A, and i was just off one last year. I'm applying where I want to go and if i don't get offers then clearing or next year, because I know i can do it and that is all that matters, everyone i know has been admitted to unis on lower grades than they asked for, both when giving offers and then on results day. Good luck :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by fatsherry
You missed my point. Yes it was to my surprise because I was expecting a B and was determined to get my target. Fortunately for me I ended up with an A. My point is that my teacher wouldn't predict my classmates with a B even though they were more than capable to get it. Even I was capable of getting a B but my prediction for A2 was still a C. I wasn't worried because I wasn't applying to uni yet but if I was I would have pushed it just like OP is trying to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The thing is your classmates aren't you. One can't say that one is entitled to a certain prediction because somebody else did or didn't get it from a seemingly better start point. There are many variables in determining who gets what prediction.

Except in a tiny minority of cases teachers aren't out to spite people it isn't in anyone's interest, even their own, to do so.
This thread highlights the major weakness of the UK university application system: predicted grades.

They are notoriously inaccurate, teachers will tend to be generous (because they are generally nice and want their students to do well) and bend their judgement, unconsciously or deliberately. Meanwhile people get annoyed if their teacher's judgment doesn't match their own.

We really should switch to post-results application or use standardised attainment tests like the USA.
Reply 75

I wasn't being rude :s-smilie:
Reply 76
Not advice but on the same topic. My literature teacher refused to give me an a* prediction after I got an A at AS.
I ,of course, got the a* and waved my paper in his face on results day. I then got annoyed that he was congratulatory rather than upset. Git being happy for me, I wanted him to feel bad.....
Original post by joeymr
I wasn't being rude :s-smilie:

I don't consider "man up and move on" to be friendly and encouraging. I only asked for some advice, I don't need people ripping my head off and tearing a strip out of me for wanting a higher prediction when it's more than achievable.
What is the reason for you getting a B instead of an A at AS level, and why does it no longer apply?
Reply 79
I don't consider "man up and move on" to be friendly and encouraging. I only asked for some advice, I don't need people ripping my head off and tearing a strip out of me for wanting a higher prediction when it's more than achievable.

You don't want advice, you want validation.

Latest

Trending

Trending