The Student Room Group

Politics Applicants 2015

Hi everyone, thought I would start this as there doesn't seem to be one yet
I'm applying for French and Politics at Nottingham, Bristol, Warwick, Liverpool and maybe Sheffield or Newcastle not sure yet :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I'm applying for PPE at Oxford and UCL. I'm also applying for PIE at KCL (but I'm debating if I should apply to KCL's new PPE course), Economic History at LSE, and Politics, Econ & Social History at U of Edinburgh. How's your summer/reading/PS coming along?
Original post by kurofune
Hi! I'm applying for PPE at Oxford and UCL. I'm also applying for PIE at KCL (but I'm debating if I should apply to KCL's new PPE course), Economic History at LSE, and Politics, Econ & Social History at U of Edinburgh. How's your summer/reading/PS coming along?

Ah so how come you're not applying for PPE at all the unis? Does nor everywhere offer it?

My summer reading is going well, ordered a few more books which should arrive soon... what are you reading atm? Personal statement is very much a work in progress ahah but on about my fifth proper draft :smile: hows yours?
Not every uni offered PPE, and the other non-PPE degrees seemed to match with the overall theme of looking through global problems via a multidisciplinary lens. right now, I'm reading Money Mischief by Milton Friendman and Capital by Thomas Piketty. Is it just me, or is TSR's Personal Statement Draft Helper thing not working? I'm American, in America, so a lot of people don't apply to UK unis, and I desperately need that service to open up and let me get critiqued.
Hi everyone!
I just finished my degree in English Lit and International Relations at Reading and had an amazing time. I'm now interning at a local charity and hoping to work in education research. Feel free to ask me any questions about Politics/ IR (the courses are pretty much identical at Reading)! And kurofune, I grew up in New Hampshire, so if you have any questions about going from US to UK schools let me know :smile:
Anja
I'm wondering if the ABBCC I got in my Highers year (S5) meets Glasgow's minimum requirement for a conditional offer (in MA Politics) of ABBB.
Does anyone know if at higher, 2 C's make up for the extra B I missed out on?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi everyone. Been lurking for a while and finally bit the bullet and decided to post, I'm thinking of applying for Politics at Edinburgh, Durham and SOAS, Politics and International Studies at Warwick and Politics and International Relations at LSE.

All of those courses have suggested entry requirements of AAA. Got AAAB at AS (A's in Maths, Further Maths and Physics, B in Politics - missed an A by 4 marks) so I'm hoping to get a few offers, how did everyone else who is thinking of applying here do? :smile:
Reply 7
I am hoping to apply for a mixture of politics and international relations degrees for 2015 entry.
At AS i got AAAA in History, French, English Lit, Economics. + A* in General studies A2

I am looking at: HSPS - Cambridge (A*AA)
Politics and IR- LSE (AAA)
International relations - KCL (AAA)
Msci International relations and Global issues - Nottingham (AAA)
IR with Political science + Year abroad - Birmingham (AAB)

Currently writing my personal statement - finding it difficult to keep characters below 4000.
Wondered which books you guys have read and if you have any suggestions? So far i've read Nations and Nationalism (A.D.Smith), Tragedy of great power politics (Mearsheimer), and Paradise and Power (R.Kagan).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Currently reading The Cage, about the Sri Lankan civil war. Also planning on reading some of Noam Chomsky's books, but not really sure what else yet. Will probably ask my teachers and look at reading lists.

I feel your pain with the Personal Statement, left out half of the things I wanted to include for lack of space. Only a first draft though, so there's time to improve it :smile:
Couldn't find a thread so posting this...

Predicted grades?
Where applying?
AS Grades?
Offers?

AAA
Leeds, East Anglia, Nottingham, Sheffield & Leicester
AAAB (Politics, Geography, History & ICT)
UEA - Unconditional if firm (ABB), Sheffield - AAB, Leicester - Unconditional

Here's the Politics connect/stalking page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by palmtop

Predicted grades?
Where applying?
AS Grades?
Offers?

AAA

Predicted Grades:A*-Art(fine art) A*-History A-Psychology
AS:AABC
Applying to UCL,KCL,Manchester, Sheffield and Birmingham. No offers or rejections yet
Predicted A*AA
AAAB at AS
Applying to Edinburgh, Bristol, Exeter, Manchester and Southampton for Politics and IR
Hey everyone,

I just updated the OP with a link to Political Sciences connect/stalking page - if you haven't already go connect to see other applicants' grades & offers. Also, if you enter your details it will be really really useful for everyone else making their applications this year.

:woo:
Reply 13
Predicted grades? A* - French, A* - Philosophy, A - History, A - German, A* - EPQ
Where applying?
UCL, KCL, LSE, Cambridge and Sheffield
AS Grades?
aaabb
Offers?
None so far, but no rejections too!
Reply 14
Original post by athena1
Predicted grades? A* - French, A* - Philosophy, A - History, A - German, A* - EPQ
Where applying?
UCL, KCL, LSE, Cambridge and Sheffield
AS Grades?
aaabb
Offers?
None so far, but no rejections too!

Wow, nice set of choices, hope you get some offers! XD
Reply 15
Original post by cammc445
I am hoping to apply for a mixture of politics and international relations degrees for 2015 entry.
At AS i got AAAA in History, French, English Lit, Economics. + A* in General studies A2

I am looking at: HSPS - Cambridge (A*AA)
Politics and IR- LSE (AAA)
International relations - KCL (AAA)
Msci International relations and Global issues - Nottingham (AAA)
IR with Political science + Year abroad - Birmingham (AAB)

Currently writing my personal statement - finding it difficult to keep characters below 4000.
Wondered which books you guys have read and if you have any suggestions? So far i've read Nations and Nationalism (A.D.Smith), Tragedy of great power politics (Mearsheimer), and Paradise and Power (R.Kagan).

Damn
Reply 16
Applying to UCL,KCL,MAnchester,Sheffield,Birmingham - Predicted A*-ART(fine art) A-History and A in Psychology. AS-AAAA
Applying for:

Aberdeen - Politics & IR (my 1st choice)
Edinburgh - Social Policy and Politics
Strathclyde - Politics
Dundee- IR and Politics
Stirling - Politics

S5 SQA Higher grades: ABBCC
Predicted S6 grades: BB at Advanced Higher and AA at Higher.
Reply 18
Original post by RussmanG
Wow, nice set of choices, hope you get some offers! XD

Thanks, I hope so too!
Reply 19
Original post by palmtop

Predicted grades?
Where applying?
AS Grades?
Offers?

AAA

Hey!

A*AA
Warwick, Durham, Exeter, Birmingham & Bristol
AACC (but not certificated)
AAA offer from Exeter

Good Luck! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending